• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Selah Ranch

^Can you tell me a little bit more about the meals? I've always wondered. Did you go into the main house for breakfast and lunch? Do they have a cook or was Dav/Candy doing the cooking?

Were you eating with the other guests?

Price-wise? I'd imagine there's a premium for food service.

When we were there, they dropped breakfast off I'm the fridge while we were out on the course. You cook everything (reheat) yourself.

We stayed at the Corral House. 5 beds. 2 queen sized in private rooms. 3 twins in the third bedroom. Pool table. Big kitchen with dishes, pots and pans... silverware. A great place to stay and have lot of fun.

We've decided to go again this year. Worth the money and the time. Go there and have fun!

Corral House gets more affordable if you stay more than 2 nights. First 2 nights are $395 total, but additional nights are either $100. Or $125. Depends on which page on selahranch.com you read (http://www.selahranch.com/texas-guest-ranch-rates.html or http://www.selahranch.com/corral-house.html). Their website has a few such inconsistencies. Like where it says "All accommodations at our Texas guest ranch include: Complimentary Breakfast" -- I'm pretty sure that "all accommodations" doesn't include the Corral House, as breakfast was never part of our deal. As such, you are best to confirm all charges/amenities in writing, in advance.

By the way, we were offered the use of the showers/bathrooms at the Pro Shop for an added charge, but we ended up managing without.

And here is the much-maligned (and misunderstood?) Hole #14 Lakeside.

Per John Houck: "...keep the driver in the bag, and hit one of the three landing areas (you can see them on the tee sign). If you do that, I guarantee you will have at least one clean and fair route to the pin."

2f7f6c4b.jpg

132f723c.jpg

e5419ec3.jpg

That kind of hole design looks familiar. There are going to be some similar holes at Rock Ridge in NC.

Rock Ridge? Is Cleavon Little the course pro?

^Can you tell me a little bit more about the meals? I've always wondered. Did you go into the main house for breakfast and lunch? Do they have a cook or was Dav/Candy doing the cooking?

Were you eating with the other guests?

Price-wise? I'd imagine there's a premium for food service.

The meals are prepared for you by the housekeeper who was the only person we saw when we were there. She was super nice when we visited the house. Dinner was delivered to cottage uncooked. A grill is provided for the steak which came with salad and homemade mashed potatoes. (Warm up in microwave). Breakfast was cooked and just needed to be warmed up for 30 or 45 sec. Sausage, hashbrown casserole, and fresh fruit. And then lunch was a basket lunch with fantastic sandwiches, chips and the like. All meals are delivered to the cottage. I actually took pictures of all the meals and I'll post them if I can dig them up. As far as price goes, it was up there but in my opinion well worth the experience. We stayed two nights and the second night we went into downtown Mt. Vernon to eat which was pretty great. Restaurant called "Our Place". You will spend some money if you go all in as I did but at the end you won't remember the bill, you will remember the experience.

^thanks for the info. I've only eaten at the waffle house in Mt Vernon:D but it was goooood.

We had breakfast (BYOShiner) at Daysi's on Main St in Mt Vernon. A little slow (isn't everything in Texas), but it was good authentic mexican food -- get a breakfast burrito (only tree-fitty!). They have a fantastic deck out back. Although I wouldn't put a lot of stock into their long-term survivability. The local pancake shop (Dairy Barn, I think) was highly recommended but it looked too busy for us.

Funny!!!

Rock Ridge? Is Cleavon Little the course pro?

No, but it is Mr. Houck's NC wooded course. It should be tough, fair, and different from anything else we have in the Raleigh area. It isn't done, but we're getting there.

With demand for Selah going up among disc golfers, I see needing to reserve the Corral House months in advance of my next trip. But how will that play with events going on out there? I'd be fairly PO'd if I made my reservations and then a "Paige and Eric" fundraiser type thing got approved for the same weekend. And on a bigger scale, I reckon it's impossible to stay there (with an expectation of playing disc golf) the same weekend as Am World Doubles. But the PDGA schedule isn't usually set until Oct/Nov, right?

John or Hickersons, if you're reading this, can you answer how that scheduling will take place? Is the weekend for Am World Doubles already picked for next year? I mean, I'm going in March-ish next year, and I'll certainly want to reserve the Corral House before Oct/Nov.

(Obviously I'll e-mail John if he doesn't respond here. Again, just posting here as I figured it was of general interest.)

Planning a trip down to Selah for May - have been meaning to play it my last two trips down but no excuses this time! Anyone played it recently?

Played Zboaz, Saddle Hills and the new Azle course today. I'm a lobster from the sun. All were first play throughs.

Z Boaz: If I remember correctly, I wouldn't call hole 14 fair. I'm all for technical shots and placement over distance, but from what I saw, there's not a line to the basket. Random trees through all of 14's fairway. I'm tempted to list 18 as well, although its not as bad as 14.

Saddle Hills: lots of blind shots, especially from the longs. If I wasn't with someone who knew the layout, I would have been lost many times. I'm just starting to dabble with long boxes. This was a tough course! The wind today made it interesting. Great use of the land it's on. Nice change of pace with elevation shots. Loved the holes where the creek comes into play.

Azle: short course! We finished in an hour fifteen, and that's with taking our time and unloading our bags on some of the ace runs (there are a lot). Course mainly plays around a baseball/soccer field, with some into the woods holes. Leave your drivers at home. I think the longest hole was around 350. Concrete pads, tee signs, easy navigation. Bit of a walk from 18 to the parking lot (hole 1). Overall fun, nothing too challenging. Good to experience if you are on the west side of the metroplex.

With demand for Selah going up among disc golfers, I see needing to reserve the Corral House months in advance of my next trip. But how will that play with events going on out there? I'd be fairly PO'd if I made my reservations and then a "Paige and Eric" fundraiser type thing got approved for the same weekend. And on a bigger scale, I reckon it's impossible to stay there (with an expectation of playing disc golf) the same weekend as Am World Doubles. But the PDGA schedule isn't usually set until Oct/Nov, right?

John or Hickersons, if you're reading this, can you answer how that scheduling will take place? Is the weekend for Am World Doubles already picked for next year? I mean, I'm going in March-ish next year, and I'll certainly want to reserve the Corral House before Oct/Nov.

(Obviously I'll e-mail John if he doesn't respond here. Again, just posting here as I figured it was of general interest.)

Unless they change their outlook, Am world dubs is always the same weekend every year, or has been for awhile now.

Latest posts