• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Serene Disc Golf Courses.

air show

Eagle Member
Bronze level trusted reviewer
By serene I mean free of any distractions including people, players, road noise, air traffic, golf carts, etc.

Of the 163 courses I have played I have only found 3 that I would consider serene.

1. Texas Twist... I have played this course three times in the last four years in mid November and have found it to be the closest course to serene I have found. Except for a few cows mooing and a few wondering the fairways I consider this course to be the most serene course I have ever played.

2. Trey Deuce... Trey's house by tee one would be the only distraction I have found at this course. When I signed the guest form at the domino shack I noticed no one had played here for two weeks prior. When entering the tree farm, holes 6-10, this stretch of holes may be the most serene stretch of holes I have ever played.

3. Mena Lions Club DGC... https://www.dgcoursereview.com/course.php?id=8494. I have played this course about six times during the winter months in the last 3 years and have found it to be very serene. Though a two lane highway borders a few holes I have found it not to be a distraction.

Always in search of serene disc golf courses and was wondering if you all might be able to help me. Thanks.

The winner would be Sugaree, the on-again, off-again private course on a mountain in North Carolina. Others may equal it, but it would be impossible to surpass.

In my neck of the woods, Chester State Park would make the list. It has a disc-golf-dedicated parking lot, from which you can see some picnic shelters about 500' away. Once you reach hole 1, you're not likely to see or hear a soul for the rest of the round.

This may not help you overly, but I also enjoy those qualities. I'm lucky because almost any Phoenix area course around 1pm this time of year is highly serene. That's one of my favorite things about summer here. Nobody hikes or discs during mid day and there is a solitude that is hard to believe in the midst of nearly 5 million people.

I am envious of those who have access to these places under less severe circumstances.

I came up with a list of about 50 if I didn't exclude other players, but if I DO exclude other players :

Citronelle AL
Hidden Cove AZ
Bogus Basin ID
Ashe Lake MS
Camp Binachi MS
Eagle Landing MS
Zephyr Cove NV
Base Camp UT
Buxton Woods OR
Hornings complex OR
Stubb Stewart OR
Camp Tadmor OR
Frog Creek OR
Hagg Lake OR
Long Glade OR
Wilder OR
Four Mound complex WA
White River WA

There were a few others that didn't have any other players when I was there, but I enjoyed them so much that I may have overlooked distant ambient traffic noise (like Selah).

If it's just man-made noises that are the standard, most of my rounds are on a course where you're likely to not encounter another person, nor hear a human or mechanical sound. Which isn't to say that the wildlife is always serene---particularly when geese are visiting---or that you won't hear dogs barking in the distance.

But if you throw visual distractions in there---sights of houses and farms, and a powerline right-of-way, about half the course is disqualified.

Most serene course I have played is Mountain Lake DGC. Unfortunately it is RIPed now. In the 4 times I played there, only ever saw one other group of golfers (probably why it is RIPed).

Most serene course I have played is Mountain Lake DGC. Unfortunately it is RIPed now. In the 4 times I played there, only ever saw one other group of golfers (probably why it is RIPed).

yep- too much serenity...
Hawk Hollow, Lake Marshall and Timber Ridge in Virginia all rank high for serenity.

Birds Ruins 25 NE of Madison is pretty darn serene, until you get to the 5th hole and get the first look at the tall grass prairie that waits along the fairways of a dozen or so of the last 22 holes. :)

One might hear a tractor if there's hay to be cut, otherwise it's the wind and birdcalls and a great slice of pastoral Wisconsin. A bit of marsh, some wooded up and down ravine type holes, old oak savannah and acres of wildflower prairie. If you like that kind of stuff.
https://www.dgcoursereview.com/course.php?id=4800

yep- too much serenity...
Hawk Hollow, Lake Marshall and Timber Ridge in Virginia all rank high for serenity.

I have not been to Hawk Hollow or lake Marshall yet but agree with you on Timber Ridge.

Oddly, one of my favorite courses in this area, Rockness Monster is also pretty serene. At least until I start playing, then tree thunks and cursing can be heard for miles.

The winner would be Sugaree, the on-again, off-again private course on a mountain in North Carolina. Others may equal it, but it would be impossible to surpass.

In my neck of the woods, Chester State Park would make the list. It has a disc-golf-dedicated parking lot, from which you can see some picnic shelters about 500' away. Once you reach hole 1, you're not likely to see or hear a soul for the rest of the round.

:clap:

Just played this course for the first time on Saturday. Incredibly cool spot for spinning. One day - in the fall! - I'll camp for the weekend and play until the wheels fall off...

Very fun, and "serene" is a perfect description of the place...if not my mental state during the round. Tough to stay calm and carry on when one is pushing through the undergrowth trying to find a disc and a line to the basket.

(Just realized my last post could be understood to mean either of the two courses Mr. Sauls mentioned. I was referring to Chester State Park.)

Sorry.

(Just realized my last post could be understood to mean either of the two courses Mr. Sauls mentioned. I was referring to Chester State Park.)

Sorry.

I wondered about the "camping" part. Now it makes sense.

Sunrise rounds in general are great ways to experience serenity, even in normally heavily congested areas. That being said, semi remote mountain courses dominate my serenity list.

The One I like is Erie State Park in New York for the Serenity. Yeah their is a road nearby but vehicles do not go on that so much as there is I-90 just south. The Last 2 holes right next to Lake Erie with the waves are the reason why as is one tunnel shot that is a driving putter ace run. Lots of chances to be right next to the animal nature on that course the way it plays.

Another is play Angostura Disc Golf Course in Angostura State Park South Dakota. I have only played the course when it had posts in the final spots where the baskets were going to go in the next year but the views from a hill where one of the baskets is now and looking down on Angostura Lake is something else especially if you got to play the course at the right time of day. Course has the older Discatcher Pro with 24 chains from Innova, the newer 28 chain baskets were not out yet.
45669b38.jpg

this is the basket overlooking the lake I am taking about.

Just forgot Cape Henlopen State Park in Delaware was really nice if not playing during the middle of the day. was really cool playing right next to the ocean on a sandy course. Also something about playing a course that Steady Ed did the original design for.

Latest posts