• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Should a world distance record with wind assistance count?

Should a world distance record with wind assistance count?

• Yes.

Votes: 81 63.3%
  • No.

Votes: 47 36.7%

• Total voters
STOP!! You will break it...you can't double quote quote.!!!!!

Uh oh.....

mushroom-cloud-hb.jpg

I think that the guys who can throw 600'+ and can figure out how to use the wind to get an extra couple hundred feet have a skill. They are really really good at getting a golf disc to go ridiculously far, and they have competitions for that. It's just part of what it takes to set that record, and like garublador said, the weather is always a factor and players have to use their skills to account for that.

debate?
anyone know of an indoor place long enough for competition distance? with a ceiling that would allow for the double s turn?
i mean come on, its an outdoor sport, wind is gonna be a factor, along with humidity, elevation, earths rotation...
how bout the aerobie ring? huh?
whats next? steroid debates?
:popcorn:

I would imagine that accounting for that amount of wind at those distances would require a great amount of skill reguardless of it being a tailwind. I find it simillar to the idea that throwing downhill will lend more distance. Yes I can lend more distance, but only once you've mastered the principals of throwing downhill. (Thinking of cass Benton hole three- a 700 downhill where a hyzer from most won't cut it)

hehe, reminds me of almost hittin the pin from 483ft downhill at wilson, my bag tipped and "the wheel" fell out and rolled the whole way down... of course its OB 20ft past basket...and i hit the building leavin a 30ft putt... but my buds dont play ob, yet this is the one time where the rule of 1st disc thrown is the one that counts didn't fly... something bout it not being a throw :)

I think the purpose of this conversation is not for US to break the record...
It's more along the lines of "How can Avery, or Double G, or Wiggins, etc... have a fair shot at breaking the record if the competitions they go to don't have a 25 mph wind at their backs?" They can't.

Therefore.... the debate.
DSCJNKY

You're right there, the distance records would be shorter if it were not for the influence of the wind. All I'm saying is that they would still be held by the same people so it doesn't really matter.

No it doesn't ya ding dong. :p

the 1600 is a loop (4 loops), so you are only aided by the wind the whole way if you are in a tornado:doh:

Exactly. The wind just isn't that big of a factor in the longer races. How long does a 8oo ft. throw stay in the air? Is it riding one gust or using multiple gusts? Not everyone can toss a disc with a 30mph wind and have it do what they want it to. Believe me, I've got lots and LOTS of experience throwing on windy days (we get more wind than Chicago!), and it takes a great deal of skill to handle the wind.

I wonder if there is ever a complaint during a tourney round when the wind shifts, or it picks up as time goes on and someone gets wind at their back for a drive that wasnt there for others.....

Totally agree John. Wind is so unpredictable that I don't think you can say "oh he got hooked up by the wind 100%" because I have had a tailwind and halfway through the flight you can clearly see it hits a crosswind which can sometimes be enough to turn a disc over.

If they were throwing in a canyon with nothing but a tailwind yeah sure its kind of bogus, but if EVERYONE gets the same chance, who cares? Its not like they only let 2-3 guys throw with those conditions.

Not sure if this has been said yet but.... anyone can find the same wind conditions that occurred during the current distance record flight, take a stack of discs and try to beat it. Since that has not been done I would say the current record, wind or not, is good.

I've always been curious if at a distance competition do they only measure forward distance, or beeline distance like they do for discus competitions?

I've always been curious if at a distance competition do they only measure forward distance, or beeline distance like they do for discus competitions?

Distance is measured directly from the point of the throw to the point of landing.

Just my $0.02. Wind is a part of the game. The people who invented the rules long ago decided that using the wind for advantage is a skill to be rewarded. The idea is to see just how far a human can make a disc travel and that's why it is the way it is.

Here's our buildings big enough (hopefully) to hold a climate controlled distance competition. Better hurry, they're planning to tear one of them down.

Tustin Blimp Hangars, Marine Corps Air Station Tustin, Tustin, CA

mcas-tustin.jpg

Well maybe not climate controlled enough.

http://www.placesearth.com/usa/california/orange/tustin_air/tustin_air.shtml

The two 18-story-high hangars were built along with the base. They are each 1000 feet long ,151 feet high, almost 300 feet wide. It is said that the structures are so large, that the hangars produce their own weather and it can rain inside the hangars.

In some track and field events they have a wind limit of 2 meters per second in your back for short sprint distances for example, I don't think they have any limits for javelin throwing, but I guess the wind would only affect a javelin marginally.

a head wind helps a javelin actually, ive been a spear chucker for 15 years