• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Should I do a course review?

KniceZ

Double Eagle Member
I went to play a new 9 hole course in my area. We finally found the first tee but couldn't see the basket and with no signage decided to walk down the fairway (basically) a narrow HS cross country trail. The basket was installed on the side of the trail with NO cleared green. I mean nothing. If you went past the basket you where in waist high brush. Deciding to skip that whole we continued down the trail to the next tee - same situation. Every hole was basically marked with blocks across the trail and the baskets where just stuck in the ground beside the trail. No additional clearing has done on any hole. Most fairways were 8-10 ft wide bordered by thick brush or saplings.

I hate to do a review cause it would be a single disc or less. And officially I didn't really play the course cause I consider it unplayable or maybe more accurately not worth playing. With a lot of clearing it might be interesting but as it is it's a waste of 9 baskets and the students will get a terrible intro to DG.

Courses should not open without being fully playable, that is my thought anyway, But don't be the first guy to write a bad review. Let someone else do that, There will be plenty of others that feel the same way,

Whatever you wish.

If you were my friend and I asked about playing that course, what would you tell me? Would you warn me that's it's not very good, and tell me why?

If so, there's nothing wrong with reviewing it that way. Assuming you've seen all of the course, even if you didn't throw some holes. That's the way I look at reviews, anyway---my advice to friends and other disc golfers who might consider playing a course.

Somebody else posted the course on here so I stopped by. It's obviously new but no clear indications if more improvements are planned. Maybe I'll wait a couple months and check again.

Somebody else posted the course on here so I stopped by. It's obviously new but no clear indications if more improvements are planned. Maybe I'll wait a couple months and check again.
I think you have the right idea. If you're local, there's no need to rush to judgement. You might also check with the parks & rec or whomever owns the property as to whether any further work/development is planned.

its clearly not complete so why do a review of the course. That review will be the first review someone sees about the course and may keep someone from playing disc. It won't hurt you to go on your way and wait. Plus if its in your area just give it some time and go back and check on it.

Do it up. You can always edit your review and make amendments to it later if you wish.

This is my vote. If it's in your area it shouldn't be a big deal to make updates on it later. Save somebody like me time and gas money from going to a crappy course. We don't have a responsibility to the course installers but we have one to each other. If the course installers don't like it they can talk to timg personally about having the course removed or whatever.

Probably hold off a bit. If you do post one, revisit it later and edit your review if things get fixed.

you should at least update course conditions, say that it is unfinished

I have asked many times that the courses I am helping build not be posted so they don't get bad reviews.
Because we encourage people to play them as we build them.
It helps refine the layout, and keep the vegetation beat down.
But then some will post and give it a bad review.

"No concrete Teepads, poorly marked, greens weren't cleared"
Etc.etc.etc.

Well ya, it's not done yet !!!
Then it's hard to live down that bad review, it just sits there.

IF you're going to update your review when it improves... do the review.

IF you're not going to update a review you do to an obviously unfinished course... then by all means, don't review.

Course condition updates are always appreciated.

It has to be a fair review. Conditions at the moment of play do matter.

Set the course conditions to unfinished. If you're into it, get in contact with whoever is putting it in and help them get it into better shape.

If the course is public and playable review it. Let people know that the course is new and if you know what improvements should be coming and list those. Adjust your reviews as course improvements are made. Or, you could give the course a tentative review based upon what you believe the course will be when finished (may also have to be changed based on the final product).

review it as a work in progress. people coming through the area will appreciate course condition info.

Personally, I would not want to play on a course without any reviews if I was traveling through. I would pick a low review over no review everyday. If you could leave a review saying what the course is like, rather than just saying that it is unfinished and listing 1000 cons, that would be best.

If the course has officially opened without all necessary features , review it. I hate seeing courses open when teepads and baskets get put in, that is the easy stuff. As cheap as disc golf course are, there is no reason not to have proper signage, benches, trash cans.