• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Should I play Fountain Hills?

Should I play Fountain Hills

• Total voters
it's amazing how many people can't:

a. read
b. spell my name correctly

probably a combination of both
What would cause so many people to misspell a name that posts 60+ times a day?
I'm mulling around the possibility that you've turned yourself into white noise.

Alright, I have played Fountain Hills, Buffaloe Ridge and Vista Del Camino. I played them all as a noob. My opinion should matter, but it really doesn't.

Fountain Valley is by far the most challenging, and the most fun. I lost at least two discs that round, but they were water discs (ones I wouldn't care if I lost or not). If it goes in the water there you are not likely to get it back, even at waters edge. That is unless they have cleaned up the green stuff.

Buffaloe Ridge was fun but super easy in comparison. There is not a whole lot to it and I struggled to find my way around the course. Would have been lost without some locals.

Vista Del Camino, the other course tehy typically play at the Memorial NT event along with Fountain Hills, was a little less fun but still a great course. Still has water, but I did manage to avoid it. A bit less of a challenge in general but still great. I would play here over Buffaloe Ridge.

Play every course you can! I've played some courses that I didn't like afterward, but I didn't regret playing them.

Play them all.
In my opinion they are all equal.
None of them are that great.
Coming from the midwest and all.
AZ disc golf is "meh"

Fountain is a unique place filled with old
people, asians and retired veterans. Lots
of stares. Play the Memorial lay out for
a real challenge.

1) Skip Buffalo Ridge, its a disc chewer, make your first stop at Spinners Disc Golf Store, pick up a couple three new R-Pro Wahoos.
2) Play Shelly Sharpe first to get used to shots over water. None of the water there is deep, so you can wade out in most places and just grab your disc.
then,
3) Play Fountain Hills, its a nice challenging layout with beautiful suuroundings, everyone should play Fountain Hills at least once in thier life.
If you throw your R-Pro Wahoo into the lake, finish your round, then go get a beer at one of the joints near the 18th hole, relax, take in the ambiance that is Fountain Hills.
Your Wahoo, being that the lake isnt very big, and the Fountain makes waves on a regular basis, will slowly drift to shore, where you can easily retrieve it. :hfive:

Dont forget to wash it off. :D

Play both if you can. Buffalo Ridge is truly a must play course for the Phoenix area, a good representation of the natural surroundings, but it will chew on your discs. Fountain Hills is another course with great scenery. Though there are a lot of water holes, it isn't too hard to deal with as they are not that much into play. Shelly Sharpe is one of my least favorite of the area.

Shelly Sharpe is one of my least favorite of the area.

Really? Why is that? Some of the holes get a little repetitive, but I really like it. IMO the worst around there is Mesquite Grove. There's no way I'll ever play there again...

Yes--you should play Fountain Hills--it's hard, but it is fun...however you NEED to play Buffalo Ridge--it is truly an Arizona Course--Desert, mountains, cactus, palo verde, and lots of rocks. It is what a Desert Course should be.

drive two hours north to Flagstaff. If you have to stay, yes I have to agree, Buffalo is the place to play.

Play them all.
In my opinion they are all equal.
None of them are that great.
Coming from the midwest and all.
AZ disc golf is "meh"

Fountain is a unique place filled with old
people, asians and retired veterans. Lots
of stares. Play the Memorial lay out for
a real challenge.

Thing about AZ disc Golf is we have all type of courses here. Midwest you have park courses and tree courses--that's pretty much it. Wow. Exciting.
AZ we have, Park, Tree, Desert, Mountain and mash-ups of all of them. Good stuff.

I like Buffalo because most of the other courses in PHX only require a hyzer shot to do well. The Memorial Layout, however, is an exception. If you are going to play Fountain or Shelly, play the tourney layout. Im sure a map can be found online somewhere.

I agree on the variety of AZ golf, and I also came from the Midwest (Wisco). I really miss the golf back home and quite frankly AZ is weak compared to any Midwest state. But we have mountains. . .

I have never played it
but you can guarantee that if I was to be in that general area for a vacation/trip
I would play every course that I could especially a "famous" one just because I could
just because then I could say that I had

and I would be super stoked to have done so

I like Buffalo because most of the other courses in PHX only require a hyzer shot to do well. The Memorial Layout, however, is an exception. If you are going to play Fountain or Shelly, play the tourney layout. Im sure a map can be found online somewhere.

I agree on the variety of AZ golf, and I also came from the Midwest (Wisco). I really miss the golf back home and quite frankly AZ is weak compared to any Midwest state. But we have mountains. . .

I think the only "weakness" in AZ disc golf is really a lack of courses. There just aren't a lot of them here compared to most states in the East. We are working on it. Since I started playing in '02 there have been 20 courses built in the state (and we have lost 2 or 3 in that time as well). I haven't played them all, but have played most of them (Remember, it can take almost 10 hours to drive AZ from top to bottom),and while not all are what yall Easterners (and midwesterners) call "proper" disc golf, they work just fine for us, and each new course leads to more new players and even more new courses.
BTW there are plans in the making to turn Buffalo Ridge into a 27 and possibly even a 36 hole course. Still in the planning stages, but fingers are crossed!!!

It's just plastic, throw stuff that doesn't have sentimental value when you're right on the water.

If you haven't played it then you should. Just be fearless and throw, throw, throw you will feel much better than if you didn't play it.

no definitely not...psych...i don't even know where that is. do what you want. there might be woodsmen creepers there. could be fun

I played today and didn't lose any discs! But I do have a story...

I threw a striker (a pretty understable one) and it ended up way right and I saw a big splash into casual water about 9 parking spaces big and 4 inches deep. So I go, I take of my shoes and socks, rolled up my jeans and I began to wade. There was a wind chill of 36 and I was freezing my toes off. I couldn't feel my feet anymore. I gave up. I put my shoes and socks on and decided to finish the hole from behind the water. I look over to the side and there's my disc completely out of the water. It must have skipped out onto dry land. I wasted all that time wading for nothing. :wall: So then I hear splashing and I turn around and the fountain is going. I get out my camera (because I told my family I would take a picture) and the fountain stops as soon as i turn on the camera. :wall: The fountain didn't go off the rest of the day because of high winds. Now I hate hole 13...

With all that being said, I did have a great time playing there and I'm glad I did. Thanks for voting on the poll!:)

I played today and didn't lose any discs! But I do have a story...

I threw a striker (a pretty understable one) and it ended up way right and I saw a big splash into casual water about 9 parking spaces big and 4 inches deep. So I go, I take of my shoes and socks, rolled up my jeans and I began to wade. There was a wind chill of 36 and I was freezing my toes off. I couldn't feel my feet anymore. I gave up. I put my shoes and socks on and decided to finish the hole from behind the water. I look over to the side and there's my disc completely out of the water. It must have skipped out onto dry land. I wasted all that time wading for nothing. :wall: So then I hear splashing and I turn around and the fountain is going. I get out my camera (because I told my family I would take a picture) and the fountain stops as soon as i turn on the camera. :wall: The fountain didn't go off the rest of the day because of high winds. Now I hate hole 13...

With all that being said, I did have a great time playing there and I'm glad I did. Thanks for voting on the poll!:)
Cool. Glad you enjoyed the course. It IS a very nice course. I have enjoyed it when I've played. I did see that you played Buffalo Ridge as well. I was very pleased to see that you appreciated what a true "Desert course" should be. It's a truly unique disc golf experience.

Latest posts