• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Sidewalks always OB?

We always play sidewalk and beyond. Its just like if you throw across the street or creek, you cant throw from the other side then, so we play it everywhere. It only makes you better

Scared, huh. I didn't win 50 tournaments by missing mando's. Even the Dallas disc golfers admit that their courses are not really suitable for worlds. The usdgc's are fine for the top pro's and I wouldn't complain if I qualified to play there. What I am doing in Brady is teaching new players how to throw all the shots a pro knows on a teaching course. Many different shots are required to do well here. And the San Angelo disc golfers wouldn't be happy with your comment about nowhere tx.

From 13 to now 50. No one really cares on your stats that we cant even look at because pdga only goes back to 2001 with stats.. I dont belive i said dallas was suitable for worlds I just said that is were i am visiting some family. I live in colorado right now with plenty of course to choose from including beaver ranch 20 min down the way. If yoour out there teaching that is great and the more to you for doing so. But you said there are plenty of junk courses with mandos and that is what im talking about. Maybe mandos and OBs arnt good for teaching new players, but they are part of the course and does not make a course junk.

I cant wait to play Brady. How far is that from Llano?

Fifty two miles up hwy 71. Call me when you come, I'll play. pdga course directory has contact info. On this site too. The ball fields by my course are ob and mando when in use, which isn't too often. Common sense does rule. Blind OB'S are another issue. What are your thoughts on those?

Ill do so, I hunt down in Llano so when I go down there I will have to hit it up for sure. I read the reviews and the only other guy to review the course sounded like he liked it in his review but only gave it 2.5 so I dont know what thats about. I think mandos are dumb but sometimes they have to be there for safety reasons. I am a fan of OB, I mean we play everything OB, sidewalks and beyond, water and beyond, street and beyond, 2 meter rule, everything. I just think that it makes you aa better golfer having to place shots and not just go out and fling things around. I like the technical side of golf

Pedestrians' heads are ALWAYS OB. Sidewalks are OB at the discretion of the TD who ALWAYS has disc-retion.

No, I did not say that.

:D

ahhhh...that clears things up for me...I always thought you trimmed 2 strokes off your total score for a pedestrians head shot...sort of a moving ace :)

It's always the ruling of the TD in the case of tournament play. I believe that if not stated they are OB, but have played in an amateur league that plays them inbounds. I say make up the rule between yourselves to play it in or out and go from there.

How many tournaments are held where there are a ton of sidewalk? I would guess most are in disc specific areas that do not have a lot of walking paths in the middle of the course.

I say unless marked, its the groups decision. Unless its a tourney, then it is the TD's call IMO

Maybe I am in the minority here, but I kind of like mando's. Mostly because it adds a level of difficulty to holes (at least around here). They ensure that you take the designers intended route, and not (for example) through trees that have drastically thinned out since the courses "birth."

Also, mr. osbogslejuld...i won 19 games of Call of Duty 4...in a row. And that was in 2008, so take that!

Maybe I am in the minority here, but I kind of like mando's. Mostly because it adds a level of difficulty to holes (at least around here). They ensure that you take the designers intended route, and not (for example) through trees that have drastically thinned out since the courses "birth."

Also, mr. osbogslejuld...i won 19 games of Call of Duty 4...in a row. And that was in 2008, so take that!

What the sam heck is call of duty 4? I've taken it and am down for the count.

I play the courses as marked. Seems to me that's the way the course was designed. Guess I'm just one of those guys that reads directions.
Since the faded victories have been thrown out there, I'll toss mine in there too.
'02/'03 season I was ranked #1 of 186 for the season and finished #2 at the Nastar Nationals in Utah. The site listed me as the winner, but I got the Silver.
http://www.nastar.com/index.jsp?pagename=results&page=comp&compid=2994&year=2003

Attachments

• pcb.jpg
    pcb.jpg
    79.4 KB · Views: 3
...The Gold Course at Winthrop, home of the USDGC, shows others feel this way too; playing in the USDGC is highly coveted for many reasons, but the course is one, and many who don't get in are eager to play the course while the ropes are up.

I read some posts on DISCussion that sounded like the USDGC was going to relax some of the bunCRs and roping this year. Anyone else heard this rumor?

In my opinion, I hate stupid (non-safety) mandos and sidewalks being OB just because they are there. It is more due to my upbringing in the game of ball golf that doesn't have such things. I think that OB should only be the outer limits of the course, water, pavilions, etc...

At my home course, there is a constant battle between the old-timers (who remember when the course was designed) and a bunch of us young-uns that can throw bomb overhand shots. They keep trying to implement no-tomahawk mandos to limit our choices on several holes. It is an interesting battle with plenty of trash talk. One time we got back at them by planting some railroad ties to mess with their rollers on a hole that we can no longer throw tomahawks.

At this year's big tourny, yet another hole was given an anti-thumber mando made of old plumbing pipe. They even put cute "barber pole" red/white paint on it. First, we figured out real quickly we could still use the thumber on a lower trajectory. By the end of the tourny, it was again one of the easiest holes for us "overhanders." About two-weeks later, this mando was lying in a twisted mess on the side of the fairway. I didn't vandalize it, but if I knew who did, I'd congratulate them!!!

I used to get mad about this topic. Now I've learned to enjoy it, especially the back-and-forth between the various "camps." I do avoid tournaments that I know have too many BS mando/OB rules. I can play thoose courses casually and we can decide which mandos/OB are legit...

How many tournaments are held where there are a ton of sidewalk? I would guess most are in disc specific areas that do not have a lot of walking paths in the middle of the course.

Perhaps another regional thing. Two of the 3 courses I play most---which have 6 sanctioned events a year, plus local events---have sidewalks or walking trails alongside, and sometimes crossing fairways.

I've seen this is plenty of courses---urban courses, which must work around whatever was already there, and suburban courses, which sometimes must coexist with walking trails.

No...I have played a course where there is a sidewalk going through a couple of the holes......stupid idea.

I know in ball golf, if it lays on the cart path you can call it 'unplayable' and move it a club length (maybe 2 club lengths) with no penalty, then play from there.

No closer to the hole though, only perpendicular or farther away.

I know in ball golf, if it lays on the cart path you can call it 'unplayable' and move it a club length (maybe 2 club lengths) with no penalty, then play from there.

No closer to the hole though, only perpendicular or farther away.

That would most likely be so you don't ruin your clubs.

Ball golf designers can build lakes (effectively OB) and sand traps just about whereever they want.

Disc golf designers must take what they can get. Sometimes this means having to incorporate sidewalks, roads, etc., because that's the only place the parks department gives you. Sometimes it means the parks department comes in after the course and adds walking trails, and there's not much the disc golfers can do about it (I'm very familiar with once recent case of this, and another coming soon). Sometimes, when you can't create features, you find them and use them as best you can, and this may mean making a sidewalk O.B. to enchance the challenge.

Personally, I've played great courses with lots of OB and even "island" holes, and great courses with no OB other than leaving the property entirely.

Ball golf designers can build lakes (effectively OB) and sand traps just about whereever they want.

Disc golf designers must take what they can get. Sometimes this means having to incorporate sidewalks, roads, etc., because that's the only place the parks department gives you. Sometimes it means the parks department comes in after the course and adds walking trails, and there's not much the disc golfers can do about it (I'm very familiar with once recent case of this, and another coming soon). Sometimes, when you can't create features, you find them and use them as best you can, and this may mean making a sidewalk O.B. to enchance the challenge.

Personally, I've played great courses with lots of OB and even "island" holes, and great courses with no OB other than leaving the property entirely.

Yeah, that's a really good point. Sometimes you just have to work with what you have and can't do much about it.

but some cases just get rediculous. (sp) for the most part though they do a pretty good job from what I've seen.

Latest posts