• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Smoking BANNED at 2011 Worlds

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't know. Personally, I think Billy Martin said it best when he said, "Hey! I can drive!" Because we tried to be nice to you non-smokers. We ****ing tried. Okay? You wanted your own sections in the restaurants. We gave you that, huh. But that wasn't enough for you. Then you wanted the airplanes. We gave you the whole God damn plane! You happy now? You own the ****ing plane! I'd like an explanation about that one folks because I will guarantee you if the plane is going down, the first announcement you're gonna hear is, "Folks, this is your Captain speaking. Look, uhm, light 'em up, 'cause we're going down, okay. I got a carton of Camels non-filters, I'll see you on the ground. Take it easy." Actually, it'd be more like this, "[VB] This is your Captain speaking. Smoke 'em if ya got 'em. Rrrr Rrrr"

I don't know. Personally, I think Billy Martin said it best when he said, "Hey! I can drive!" Because we tried to be nice to you non-smokers. We ****ing tried. Okay? You wanted your own sections in the restaurants. We gave you that, huh. But that wasn't enough for you. Then you wanted the airplanes. We gave you the whole God damn plane! You happy now? You own the ****ing plane! I'd like an explanation about that one folks because I will guarantee you if the plane is going down, the first announcement you're gonna hear is, "Folks, this is your Captain speaking. Look, uhm, light 'em up, 'cause we're going down, okay. I got a carton of Camels non-filters, I'll see you on the ground. Take it easy." Actually, it'd be more like this, "[VB] This is your Captain speaking. Smoke 'em if ya got 'em. Rrrr Rrrr"

Lol! Denis Leary! One of my favorite stand up routines ever!

Yeah here's the original thread. One of these days I'll figure out the "search" feature on this site.

I apologize if I trolled up some bad memories. I figured it was new news as the article says 4/18.Maybe a mod will see this afterwhile and feel obliged to put out this fire before it starts growing.

You can not search the landfill. I am sure the mods have their eyes on this thread.

Wow... it bleeps out other words but not GD... is there any need?

You can not search the landfill. I am sure the mods have their eyes on this thread.
picture.php

I can understand the alcohol/non supporting neighborhood problem as my home course used to be Bear Creek in Grapevine, Tx. The cops went as far as dressing in street clothes, carrying bags/discs,and playing a round a.k.a. roaming the park trying to catch people participating in any "extra-curricular" activities. Pretty overboard if you ask me. I really don't understand the no smoking policy though. Maybe I am a little bias myself because I am a smoker(tobacco only), but when I do decide to light up I am respectfull to others and stray away from the group in order to not bother anyone that cannot stand the smoke. If it's the litter of the cigarette butts all over the course I would say put up ashtrays/butt buckets but I'm sure this will always be a losing battle. Just like trash, even when theres garbage cans theres still trash thrown out.

Most of the trash cans have holes in the bottom so they don't fill up with rain, the butts wash out the bottom onto the ground. The ash trays will fill up and overflow with rain also. I don't care if you smoke just keep the butts when your done, or stick them in a bottle or can then throw it in the trash.

Smoking ban at Worlds!

While I totally understand the reasoning behind the smoking ban in Santa Cruz, I do not agree with the smoking ban in Rochester.

This is my fear when I get in conversations about building the sport. Don't get me wrong, I am all for making the sport bigger. But, my concern is that it will ruin all the aspects of the sport that I find appealing. Disc golf is currently a very laid back sport. It is easy to go play, and rare to get hassled about anything. I would love to see the sport get bigger and get more exposure, but I know that along with that comes more rules to please all the people who love to tell everyone else what to do. Some examples of things I am against:

Collared shirts required
No smoking
High course fees
The stodgy "clubhouse" atmosphere

I'd really like someone to explain to me how wearing a collared shirt and not smoking turns me into someone respectable? (If I wasn't respectable before I changed shirts, why am I respectable afterward?)

Keep in mind, I don't smoke cigarettes (and that's what we are talking about here right? It's already against the rules to smoke anything else.) So, this rant isn't about smoking cigarettes as much as it is about where we are headed.

It's unfortunate, but everyone believes that we must bend to political correctness in order for the sport to hit mainstream. And while I am all for growing the sport, my fear is that it will become just like ball golf with all the high course fees, the conservative dress and attitude, and the false courtesy (followed by the players behind you driving at you off the tee because you aren't moving as fast as they would like.)

If it gets like ball golf, I'll quit playing altogether....

Just a thought, but why can't we build this sport as big as the X games without giving up our laid back attitude?

Now, if I thought they banned smoking at both places because of the dangers of forest fires, I would be all for it. But my belief is that Santa Cruz makes for a convenient excuse for them to implement a rule that is really meant to make disc golf more politically correct.

Just my opinion...

I agree too, If their are people who think it has to be all "stuck up"(like ball golf) for recognition, that's just foolish, when there is all this trash on TV these days,Crazy shows about Crack heads on Cops, but people that wear Tshirts,smoke a cigarette, and throw frisbees are going to be looked at funny? i really don't think so,( and people please with the smoking on the course crap, smoking is banned everywhere, EVEN OUTSIDE, why shouldn't i be able to smoke outside? do u really believe that if you walk by someone smoking that that's worse for you then the smog already in the city air)(smoking rant) i think ball golf should have their old timer rules and no other sport EVER !!!!! just because the object of the game is the same ( thing in target in fewest strokes ) doesn't mean it is in the same scene or even viewed in the same light, anyway I'm not roc'in a polo any time soon on the course

Status
Not open for further replies.