• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Snow DG Idea

Martin Dewgarita

* Ace Member *
Gold level trusted reviewer
Now, the snow DG conversation is always ribbons/no ribbons - I have played nearly every single day in the snow for the past 2 months (less about 3 rest days and 3 days that I made it far enough south to get out of the snow), many days 50+ holes on courses that I am unfamiliar with. I am a huge proponent of ribbons, anybody that suggests otherwise does not play often enough in the snow to learn otherwise. In the past 8 days I have lost 3 discs (slightly above my average of 1/week when I'm playing as hard as I can without snow) many others probably would have been lost without ribbons.

This discussion is not about ribbons though, I just wanted to get that out of the way and explain my experience. My idea, I'm looking for help from those electronically inclined. I'm thinking a noise emitter, something similar to attaching an LED to a disc. A small battery powered clicker/screecher, for me it could be something only my dog could hear, if that worked it would completely eliminate lost discs under the snow. Right now Forest has trouble smelling under a foot of snow for discs, but if a noise frequency was lound enough for him to hear through the muffle of snow I bet he'd be right on it. For others without a dog the same idea might work with an intermittent audible noise, probably doesn't have to be terribly loud "Everybody spread out, stand completely still and listen for the 'clicks'" Obviously would have to be turned on and off, a bag full of clicking discs would become very annoying.

I realize it would not be legal, may slightly affect the flight, but wouldn't be much different from LED's or Ribbon.

Any thoughts? Ideas/Suggestions? Could this be possible or am I just dreaming?

It could be possible, Noill is campaigning RFID tags to be put into discs, so you can just buy a tracking device to show you where they landed. The problem is how functional it could be, if you hit a tree and knock a ribbon off a disc, you lost the disc, and just some ribbon. If you knock off one of these expensive do-dads, thats another $20 for loss, especially when it comes to water.

I've heard of people taking apart those greeting cards that play songs and attaching the music part to their disk. all they have to do is keep there ears open for the sounds of JINGLE BELLS to locate their discs

I've heard of people taking apart those greeting cards that play songs and attaching the music part to their disk. all they have to do is keep there ears open for the sounds of JINGLE BELLS to locate their discs

i've always wanted something like this except it plays "wheel in the sky" or "time keeps on slippin". i can already imagine it

"FORE!"

*...don'T KNOW WHERE I'LL BE TOMorrow...*

"was that red disc that just sailed past us singing a Journey song?"

Now, the snow DG conversation is always ribbons/no ribbons - I have played nearly every single day in the snow for the past 2 months (less about 3 rest days and 3 days that I made it far enough south to get out of the snow), many days 50+ holes on courses that I am unfamiliar with. I am a huge proponent of ribbons, anybody that suggests otherwise does not play often enough in the snow to learn otherwise. In the past 8 days I have lost 3 discs (slightly above my average of 1/week when I'm playing as hard as I can without snow) many others probably would have been lost without ribbons.

This discussion is not about ribbons though, I just wanted to get that out of the way and explain my experience.

Nice disclaimer after a paragraph about ribbons. I still disagree about ribbons after several winters playing at snow covered courses. I have not lost a disc this winter. Nor have I used a single ribbon.

It seems that you are a bit confused here. In one post, you talk about the benefits of ribbons. In the same post, you are seeking help for an alternative to your beloved ribbons.

Hopefully, you will be able to shed your winter disc golf n00b status after a few more years of throwing in the snow. Maybe next year you will rid yourself of the ribbon crutch. Good luck with the noisy disc idea. :thmbup:

Nice disclaimer after a paragraph about ribbons. I still disagree about ribbons after several winters playing at snow covered courses. I have not lost a disc this winter. Nor have I used a single ribbon.

It seems that you are a bit confused here. In one post, you talk about the benefits of ribbons. In the same post, you are seeking help for an alternative to your beloved ribbons.

Hopefully, you will be able to shed your winter disc golf n00b status after a few more years of throwing in the snow. Maybe next year you will rid yourself of the ribbon crutch. Good luck with the noisy disc idea. :thmbup:

Totally bogus calling him a winter noob.....ribbons are a must with us up here in Canuckistan....Its maddening trying to find someones disc under the snow because they have "Great eyes" and "Never" lose a disc in the winter

Ice bowl this weekend and the TD has announced a strict enforcement of the 3 minute rule for lost disc, unless it was ribboned, in which case the card can choose to take longer

Totally bogus calling him a winter noob.....ribbons are a must with us up here in Canuckistan....Its maddening trying to find someones disc under the snow because they have "Great eyes" and "Never" lose a disc in the winter

Ice bowl this weekend and the TD has announced a strict enforcement of the 3 minute rule for lost disc, unless it was ribboned, in which case the card can choose to take longer
I completely agree with you. All this guy does is troll winter threads and complain how noobs use ribbons. Well that's why in the ice bowl I played in everyone was losing discs left and right and I had to.keep calling 3 minute rules on them. Well I just found my ribbon and kept on trucking. Id rather use a ribbon on my disc than to take a stroke everytime a disc got lost. For the record, I've never used ribbons till the blizzard hit here and I've been playing in the snow for years.

As for the sound emitter devices I think it might get a little expensive. Bacon grease may work but wouldn't.the disc be slippery then.? Id still like to see how the chalk idea works, never tried that one yet.

Maybe you missed this on his post....Years Playing: 1.3

How much experience can he really have in the winter months? As I have stated previously although not on this thread...n00bs are OK as long as they do not apply for a lifetime membership to the chucker club.

I always help out the n00bs that want to learn. I have handed out plenty of free discs to the local n00bs. However, there are some n00bs that think they know anything and everything about disc golf. This is not true.

This is the statement from the OP that irked me....anybody that suggests otherwise does not play often enough in the snow to learn otherwise.

PLENTY of winter disc golfers do not use ribbons...myself included with no plans to use ribbons. Maybe a little re-wording from the OP would help a bit on something like this?

my experience is to watch where it lands. I play by the rules and won't attach anything to a disc, lights or ribbons. It's in my rule book.

I completely agree with you. All this guy does is troll winter threads and complain how noobs use ribbons. Well that's why in the ice bowl I played in everyone was losing discs left and right and I had to.keep calling 3 minute rules on them. Well I just found my ribbon and kept on trucking. Id rather use a ribbon on my disc than to take a stroke everytime a disc got lost. For the record, I've never used ribbons till the blizzard hit here and I've been playing in the snow for years.

As for the sound emitter devices I think it might get a little expensive. Bacon grease may work but wouldn't.the disc be slippery then.? Id still like to see how the chalk idea works, never tried that one yet.

No complaining here....just stating the facts. As we all know, there is a TON of misinformation that is posted on the DGCR forums.

For the OP (FYI, less than 2 years of experience in the sport) to suggest the following statement is ridiculous: I am a huge proponent of ribbons, anybody that suggests otherwise does not play often enough in the snow to learn otherwise.

I am not looking to start a flamewar here. I merely posted a follow up statement so that anyone who reads this thread will understand that there is more than 1 way to play disc golf in the snow without losing plastic.

I apologize if you were offended that my opinion and experience does not agree with yours in regards to this issue. I previously assumed that all opinions were welcome here on the DGCR forums. Thanks for setting me straight. I appreciate it.

I also have never used ribbons and I have played in plenty of snow. I just watch where it lands closely. I do like the general idea of a small, lightweight sound emitter though and I do not mide playing with people that use ribbons since that means I do not have to help them hunt for their disc.

No complaining here....just stating the facts. As we all know, there is a TON of misinformation that is posted on the DGCR forums.

For the OP (FYI, less than 2 years of experience in the sport) to suggest the following statement is ridiculous: I am a huge proponent of ribbons, anybody that suggests otherwise does not play often enough in the snow to learn otherwise.

I am not looking to start a flamewar here. I merely posted a follow up statement so that anyone who reads this thread will understand that there is more than 1 way to play disc golf in the snow without losing plastic.

I apologize if you were offended that my opinion and experience does not agree with yours in regards to this issue. I previously assumed that all opinions were welcome here on the DGCR forums. Thanks for setting me straight. I appreciate it.

You done?

Not about ribbons/no ribbons

Martin, in the OP is not asking about ribbon/no ribbon use. :doh: He is is asking about alternative means for locating discs. (buried discs)

I played in an Ice Bowl this past Saturday and one person on our card could not find discs after every throw. I was highly irritated by this. As the two other players allowed for over three minute searches. (he even lost a putter) :wall:

I am going to look into making inexpensive sounding devices for the DIYer's

Martin, in the OP is not asking about ribbon/no ribbon use. :doh: He is is asking about alternative means for locating discs. (buried discs)

While he is not "asking" about ribbons, he certainly posted a very misleading statement in regards to them. If this thread really is not about that issue, why mention it at all in the OP?

After going back to read the entire thread again, I only found 1 professional disc golfer that weighed in on the issue...looks like he (chrishysell) also disagrees with the use of ribbons....just sayin.