• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

So, how did you play today? Part II

Time to brag! I won the Kalamazoo Putting League championship tonight! I'm the oldest guy in the room by like 10 or 12 years at least. Never mind each one of them can outdrive me by at least 100 feet. I love putting league so much because I can hang with these guys at something. I think they were all Am-1 or Open players. I haven't played an Am-1 event in 16 years and can play MA-50 next year, so I was by no means a favorite tonight. Got hot straddle putting with my Deputies and rode it out one at a time. Didn't obliterate anyone, they were all close matches. We do 30-footers and I'm 65% there in the basement.

Oh, and "When You're Hot You're Hot" by Jerry Reed came up at random on my MP3 shuffler as I drove to putting league! Ha ha!

Stepped back up to the pros this weekend for the first time since 2019...... putting was off and it cost me the "W".
Still took home $90

picture.php

A buddy of mine got off the waitlist for a tourney last month and wanted to play the long layout at Tommy Shumpert in Knoxville, TN yesterday evening.

Played pretty awful. It is not a forgiving layout, and combine that with trying to beat daylight and playing long tees on a course where most people play the shorts made for a pretty frustrating day.

I did learn a lot, so that's good. And he bragged about his Soft Berg and proceeded to have about a 200 foot rollaway on a missed 15 footer, so that was fun, too.

And he bragged about his Soft Berg and proceeded to have about a 200 foot rollaway on a missed 15 footer, so that was fun, too.

What a weirdo. Have you tried talking him into putting with an actual putter instead of that silly approach disc?

What a weirdo. Have you tried talking him into putting with an actual putter instead of that silly approach disc?

He's putting Judges. He just chose the Berg out of fear of roll away, which is what makes it so funny.

Last night was the first league night to which my 6th grader and I made it, at VIRA. He beat me by 7 and tied his PR there, which he set in pristine weather last year, a 53 from the shorts. It's the first time he's ever beaten me by more than 2 strokes in a round. It was 30 degrees, and yeah, I was dreadful shooting one of my worst rounds ever there. A couple of C2 makes is all I had going for me.

Last year he beat me 9 times out of a little over 100 rounds. This year, so far in the early going, we're dead even at 2-2-1. He's been practicing putts in the basement this winter and it's starting to pay off. He expects to make 20-footers now and it's a HUGE difference. He's pinning 350' holes with a TL3 too. His form was super good last year but compared to now it was kind of violent. Now it's the slow is smooth, smooth is far look. Real smooth. He's been throwing a lot of putters on the short tee layouts around town and easily deucing a lot of them with way less than 100% power. Should vault past a 900 rating in short order this year. Still doesn't weigh 100 pounds. I think I've created a monster.

Played awful on Sunday, so I decided to get out to the 9 holer that I treat as a practice course. Stuffed my bag full of 7 speed and below discs that I never bag because they are too flippy. It took a lot of bad throws to get there, but by the time I was wrapping up, I had glimpses of the timing I had last year. So that's a good feeling.

Also, messed around with my PDGA disc that I recently got in the mail. 157g MVP Relay. It took a while to get my angle right, but holy heck is that disc fun to flip up.

Close to do a once in a lifetime shot. .

We have been building a new course for a few months now. . and today the first 6 basket went up.
I got to throw the very first throw ever, , and was So close to an Ace.

https://youtu.be/XpQJhGlR-MA?t=929

Hey, there's video of the championship putting round I had versus Zac O'Heran on his channel. I hit 72.7% from 30 feet there, 32/44, which is a good 7% above my average in the basement. It's cued up to the final.

Way to win it for the Old Guys!:clap: Sounds like there were a lot of people rooting for you!

It was hit and miss today. Could have been a decent round but I could not make a putt.

Had some of my best tee shots and some of my worst.

I had a gallery on a heavily wooded course for one hole only. Looked like two families a party of about 8 all with one disc that let me play thru. I threw a flex shot that lined up perfectly hitting a tree gap and coming back in line with the fairway, the only time I've been able to pull it off on that hole. I got an "oh Sh#t" from one of the ladies as it flew past the first 100 feet, nobody in their group had made it past a hundred feet. It paid off with my first eagle 2 on the par 4. I decided not to share with them those types of shots are far and few in between for me, and that was a good feeling to pull it off in front of others. I wonder how long it will take for that to happen again?

Second to last hole of the 2nd round and I decided to 6 putt into 30+ mph wind.

Ugh -50 rating points and drop 4 spots. :wall::wall::wall:

Just layup and take the boogie.

Way to win it for the Old Guys!:clap: Sounds like there were a lot of people rooting for you!

Thanks! The guy I was up against is a former Michigan state putting champ. He even beat Andrew Marwede when he accomplished that. To be fair, he's no doubt a better putter than me as far as form and all that. Also a good friend of mine. My underdog status certainly helped with the cheering and my nothing-to-lose mentality.

Both of us won a Marksman Lite. I was skeptical of how one of these helps with putting, but after a week of having it I love the thing! My son and I play a bunch of Pig in the basement with it and it's a blast. When you do make a putt on them, it's super gratifying. Don't tell OMD I said this, ha ha!

This morning's rounds at my home course Munden Point known for high wind which can swirl off a river, was a reminder how important wind can be for powering discs. The first round playing shorts no wind and loss of distance after a few holes started discing up. The second round it was as if someone flipped a switch on the 4th hole playing longs wind started blowing at 10-15 with some gust, and back to my normal distance for the most part. With 350 plus rounds on the course I've learned how, and to love playing the wind.

Not from today BUT...I played a 2 round tournament on Saturday (40 holes total) and placed 9th out of 14 in MA3. I have a lot of work to do. Only two birdies on the day (missed a handful of birdie putts) and OB kicked me ass. All in all I really cant complain because the best thing was an MPO player on my first card (We played mixed division cards for the first round) gave me some advice that really helped my throws.
Seems like there's a lot of baggers in my area - the winner in my Div shot -1 which I feel is pretty low considering some of the MA2 guys shot +2-+4.

Going to take my bogie and prepare for the next one, which will be at a tougher course too.

I shot -5 on local short tees in front of other people for the first time. Left a handful on the table with very makeable putts (well, for people who are good at putting). Slowing down and throwing more standstills made lots of shots much simpler even with ribbing buddies.