• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

So lets talk about Kansas City.

BigGAC1

Par Member
So I found out today that I'm going to be moving to KC for med school starting this summer. Can any locals tell me about the quality of my course options? I've heard some about Waterworks, what other good courses are around KC? Any local favorites?

So I found out today that I'm going to be moving to KC for med school starting this summer. Can any locals tell me about the quality of my course options? I've heard some about Waterworks, what other good courses are around KC? Any local favorites?

You sir, are in luck. Where to start? The longest course ever, Blue Valley. Top 25 course, WaterWorks. New fantastic courses every 6 months. Smithville is great, three great courses, one park. Swope, Rosedale (top and down under), etc etc.

We are also home to a couple of great DG stores. Disc Golf World has anything you want and plenty of it in stock and host several tournaments through out the year.

Dynamic Discs is here in town as well and runs several sanctioned events each year.

Kansas City Wide Open has been a national tournament stop for several years, we always get to see the pros.

Our club is great and active. KCFDC.org

Cant wait to have you, one important question will you be living in Missouri or Kansas?

Awesome! I can't wait to try them out!

I'll be living on the Missouri side. I'm going to KCUMB, which is just east of downtown. The neighborhood its in seems pretty seedy, so I'm thinking about trying to find a rental closer to downtown... I've seen a few names thrown around like Westport, or River Park. It seems like all of those are actually pretty near Waterworks.

Although I'm kinda thinkin that my disc golfing free time will be considerably diminished between classes and studying now. :(

The East Side of downtown has Cliff Drive which is under a redesign but you should get a good dose of DG. You're five or ten minutes from Blue Valley. Waterworks will be across the river - ten minutes away. Rosedale is ten minutes down the highway to the south and west. Swope is down a different highway, about 15 minutes away to the south and east. So that's pretty good. It's a lot of golf.

If you're downtown, then WW will be right in your backyard! Lucky! I lived in KC for 20 years and it's awesome. You'll have some pitch and putt options, and like the other guys mentioned, some frickin sweet/hard courses! Enjoy your time there and if I'm ever in town visiting fam, I'll hit you up!

I used to have to go to KC for business. Great, underrated city.

In terms of disc golf, it's behind Charlotte and Portland, but not by much. It's definitely one of the great disc golf cities.

From what I can tell, KC's prolly better than most places for DG.

The longest course ever, Blue Valley.

I hear this a lot, but going by the course page the long layout is around 11,000', I know of at least one course off the top of my head that's 2000' longer than that and a handful of others that are in that neighborhood.

Kansas City does sound like a cool place to play, it's one of the few big disc golf destinations I haven't hit yet.

Noticed the OP's from Ft Worth.

FWIW, the KC Chiefs started out as the Dallas Texans when the AFL formed. After a few years in Dallas, Lamar Hunt moved the team to KC and they changed their name to the Chiefs.

KC has some of the feeling of a smaller Texas city - a little country, lots of agriculture/industry, great beef/bbq/steak places, and really nice disc golf courses.

I hear this a lot, but going by the course page the long layout is around 11,000', I know of at least one course off the top of my head that's 2000' longer than that and a handful of others that are in that neighborhood.

Kansas City does sound like a cool place to play, it's one of the few big disc golf destinations I haven't hit yet.

I was told that it was the biggest ever when it was put in, but it doesn't really matter.

We use this flowchart-

hEkzSiJ.jpg

I don't know if it's the longest I've played, but it was the most tiring. It's long and the elevation changes are huge.

Blue Valley is definitely a good work out! Last year, in the weeks leading up to a trip to Yosemite in CA, I played Blue Valley as often as possible as a sort of training. Honestly, the only reason the trails I was on in Yosemite were harder was the altitude, which had me struggling to breath.... :\