• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

So you played 200+ courses, but...

i think geographic diversity is only relevant in the 'best of the best' conversation. if someone has played 200+ courses in one geographic area then they are going to have a great perspective on courses in that area. that is valuable info when considering what courses to play in that area.

the only consideration against that is that you might not value the same things in a course as someone in a very different geographical area. SoCal folks, for example, might especially value courses that have a lot of space and are in DG exclusive areas since that is rarely the case there, whereas east coasters are very partial to their wooded courses and probably prefer courses with a variety of wooded lines. some people value amenities and others only care about the golf.

Last edited:
I tend not to worry about it. I live in the Midwest. I'm not a big traveler. My courses played is in a limited area. If that means somebody thinks I don't know what I'm talking about, no big deal to me. It's not like I'm suddenly going to dedicate more money from my family budget to disc golf travel so people I don't know on the Internet take me more seriously. :|

The map from the OP that did not get mentioned was the middle one; it stretched N/S from Minnesota to Texas and E/W from Illinois to Colorado. There is a huge amount of variety in courses that stretch over that area. I'd be damned happy to have a spread like that. If I did, I'd still want to travel to Charlotte to find out what all the fuss was about. I bet the person whose map that really is feels the same way.

I'm pretty sure my geographic map is pretty tightly bunched, but you know what? I was pretty impressed yesterday, when a friend with a lot more experience and a better game than mine asked my advice on taking his brothers to Bowling Green for a road trip. He knows I know the courses, and I know his game & the style he likes. I've even played with both brothers.

I guess what I'm saying, is that it's nice to have folks ask, read reviews, etc. Use your own judgement on how you determine the validity of the info! :p

Oh, and for my buddy and his brothers, since they're more into the Corvette museum than Mammoth cave for this trip, I suggested Kerieakis and Hobson Grove (then Lovers Lane if they have time). Bigger arms might like others, but these guys will have fun with those.

I take it into consideration when gauging a review or a reviewer's perspective, but I'm more inclined to see what courses someone has played than where. If someone rates an low rated or hardly rated course a 4.5 or a 5.0, I instinctively check their courses played list to see if they've played quality courses. That definitely colors how much I take their review into account, more so that regional bias. But the later also plays a factor.

I like comparing "courses played" maps while reading reviews or opinions in threads, mainly to get a feel for your perspective. If you've played 300 courses, but they're all in one area, then I may not value your critique as much as someone that has played all over the country.

Do other people compare maps for whatever reason?

When someone posts an interesting review of a cool looking course I haven't heard of, I'll check out their DGCR Profile. Usually interested in other cool unknown courses in their region I could get some info on.

And also, it's neat to see course commonality % :)

As far as reviews go, Mashnut and Tall Paul are great at giving you a sense of what setting and type of golf there'll be. After that, I'm mostly interested in Data / Course Maps. Then I just want to know where's the parking, kiosk, bathroom, navigation hazards, and Teepad #1 !!!

Shoutout to all the Trusted Reviewers, regardless of region :clap:

I take it into consideration when gauging a review or a reviewer's perspective, but I'm more inclined to see what courses someone has played than where. If someone rates an low rated or hardly rated course a 4.5 or a 5.0, I instinctively check their courses played list to see if they've played quality courses. That definitely colors how much I take their review into account, more so that regional bias. But the later also plays a factor.

well said, i do the same.

Well, that looks familiar.

If you've played 300 courses, but they're all in one area, then I may not value your critique as much as someone that has played all over the country.
To which I say, so what. You're critique isn't paying my gas money, getting me free airline tickets and rental cars to faraway places or getting me leave from my job.

Pretty much everyone's map is kind of a snapshot of where they've been in their disc golf lives. I've personally never seen mine as a bragging point. I play when and where I can. If someone wants to diminish an accomplishment which I really never considered such, make a dumb thread about it, then throw a fit when they get called out by others for sharing their myopic observation, well, that sounds like a personal problem.

I'm sure we'd all like our maps to be more filled up and diverse as far as where we've traveled, but for probably 99% of us there's likely some bigger affairs in life getting in the way of that.

I'd like to see a little disclosure stat box next to each reviewers name. For example: how far they throw, tournament or non-tournament player, etc. If you can throw 450 vs 250 it's definitely going to alter your perspective of what is fun. Maybe even a filter based on how far people throw. Of course the people around here would never give you an honest answer to that...

Just a few thoughts to add.

I think some regions would provide a narrower sense of perspective than others. Here in the gulf, the land is dead flat, most courses are moderately wooded at best, and almost every course is exclusively par 3. A far cry from the greater variety, varied terrain, and three-tees-and-three-pin-positions standard set by western PA's stalwarts. One could easily notch 50-100 courses in the gulf region and not have played anything with truly drastic elevation or truly dense woods. There's a quality gap, too: I've played nearly 35 courses in Louisiana, Mississippi, Alabama, and western Florida - almost half the courses I've played - and none are in my top 10.

Conversely, one could stay locked in the PA/WV/Ohio tristate area and play some of the best courses in the country. Moraine, Knob Hill, Orange Crush, Friends of Punderson, the Black Course, and the Whippin' Post are six very different courses that range from great to outstanding. I'd trust a thoughtful review by anyone who's played those courses, because I know they've seen quality and variety. So staying within a specific region can make for a narrow perspective, but that's very much not a given.

I also think characterizing "the northeast" as a region is a misnomer. There's going to be a lot of variety in terrain and course quality in there. There are a lot of countries with a smaller area.

Traveling and seeing different environments helps plenty, but a cluster of courses played seems to me to be a weaker determinate of the spectrum of what a player has seen. I think it'd be pretty hard to have played 200 courses and have not had the opportunity to gain a decent perspective. If someone with that many courses played has poorly formed opinions (and I've seen some such reviewers on here), I'd blame them and not their lack of exposure.

well said, i do the same.

Cheers, brother! :hfive:

Thread is very trollish and so many taking the bait. Who cares what this dude thinks about reviews. :rolleyes:

I don't feel that it matters where they have been when reading reviews.

I do, however, think that good, well written reviews have a lot more say on where I will play. Unlike something like this

OK, so I followed that link and was amazed that one review could get so many thumbs down. Then I went to see all the other reviews from that player and was even more surprised. I have never seen a reviewer with that much experience have more thumbs down than thumbs up. It goes to show you, just because someone has played a lot of courses in a lot of different states, doesn't mean their reviews are automatically better.

OP Stats: Reviews: 15, Votes: 38:thmbup: 69:thmbdown:, States Played: 30, Courses Played: 188

Qikly already summed it up the best:

...I think it'd be pretty hard to have played (NEARLY) 200 courses and have not had the opportunity to gain a decent perspective. If someone with that many courses played has poorly formed opinions (and I've seen some such reviewers on here), I'd blame them and not their lack of exposure.... (I altered this quote)

So-----you're salty that people may have played more courses than you, but not as widespread amongst the states? WTF???

The more I think about it, I'm not really salty about anything. Salty implies anger and I'm not an angry guy.

As far as attacking my reviews, I know they are ****ty! I already stated that I like to give a number rating and don't care so much for writing a book about a course. If you want to read a book, find one of the trusted reviewers, that's what I do.

You're critique isn't paying my gas money...

I'm not critiquing anyone, just may not pay attention to you if you say your area is the best...unless you live in WI and only play Highbridge, then I may be on your side. haha

Pretty much everyone's map is kind of a snapshot of where they've been in their disc golf lives.

duh

If someone wants to diminish an accomplishment...

not my intent, but people are being very defensive. Imagine that

...but for probably 99% of us there's likely some bigger affairs in life getting in the way of that.

lucky for me my gf likes to play and I have no kids, pets or anything else to take care of besides myself, so I basically do what I want, when I want.

I'm happy to give everyone something to talk, I mean complain, about for a while

Latest posts