• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

specs and rules to move DG from kids game to pro sport

If it were ever to happen, a switch to smaller baskets would probably fall onto Clubs that want to run higher tiered events to come up with the cash.

So this is going to fall on the shoulders of the folks who work their a$$e$ off to make the tourneys run? Probably the same ones who busted their tail to get sponsorships just to get the course installed in the first place? Now you're going to tell them, "Soo yeah, why don't just go ahead and buy some new baskets...like all of them. It's only $5400 per 18. Shouldn't be hard."

Some of you are just blowing this off as if it isn't a big deal if it is implemented. I think this issue is a very big deal since this sport is sooo volunteer dependant. Piss off your volunteer base and they will likely walk away and never come back. I've seen it too many times in other contexts. Heck, I was a volunteer for something (not disc golf related) and got stomped on a few times and left. Haven't been back to that situation since.

And I still haven't seen a viable plan for making these large sums of money for smaller baskets appear.

As far as I can see there's nothing stopping small-basket proponents from doing what regular disc golfers have been doing for decades: Find like-minded people and a suitable piece of land, install a course at their own expense and convince others playing there is worth their money.

We'll be reading hosts of success stories here really soon. Or maybe we won't...

That I would really like to see. Put your money where your mouth is. :clap:

If the goal is to make the game more difficult you're better off changing the legal specs on discs than baskets at this point. But, companies won't be willing to flush cash down the toilet now that high speed drivers are cash cows.

This is a moot conversation. You can't make nearly every course in existence illegal for PDGA tourneys in one fell swoop and expect anything good to come of it.

Golf is different than disc golf, and will never be as mainstream, get over it. The skateboard comparison is a good one, in that skateboarding is truly a skill and truly takes talent, yet no one in the mainstream gives it it's due, and never will simply because the main piece of equipment used is considered a toy.

I have fun when I play and still find this game challenging, I think that the vast majority of players agree or they wouldn't be playing. If you want something "harder", play ball golf. Trying to change the sport because a few dozen players -in the world- have over 100 aces is asinine, and not really relevant to the sport as a whole.

Dude just got 18 aces in one round in a professional "sport" that is an even more direct decedent of our father sport.

Those guys definitely have it too easy, gotta make the hole smaller, the ball bouncier, maybe make them lay down and hit it with a pool cue, add in some hazards of hornet nests and make slashing opponents legal.

What are you worried will happen as a result of their desire?
  • Waste of time and resources that could be directed toward something more positive like youth programming.
  • Big turn off of talented players who by into the dream of big-time disc golf only to find themselves camping and crashing on couches becasue they can't afford hotel rooms. Once the dream dies, there is often a bitter disillusionment. I was rooting for Wiggins to choose another sport and give up disc golf figuring he would end up with a happier life if he did. That's kinda screwed up to be hoping the best young players do something else.
  • Big turn off of talented TD's and volunteers who bust their asses to try to come up with the resources to prop up that dream who ultimately will fall short time and time again.

That's the downside I see, anyway. I've seen the desire for big-time disc golf burn a lot of good guys out of disc golf altogether.

I just dont see the reason to change it.. Are you saying football, baseball, soccer, hockey, or basketball aren't all kids games? Thats the beauty of sports they're kids games but they're still fun for grown ups to participate in. Yes people get paid to play but they're an elite few and are used for entertainment purposes.

If the goal is to make the game more difficult you're better off changing the legal specs on discs than baskets at this point. But, companies won't be willing to flush cash down the toilet now that high speed drivers are cash cows.

This is a moot conversation. You can't make nearly every course in existence illegal for PDGA tourneys in one fell swoop and expect anything good to come of it.

Golf is different than disc golf, and will never be as mainstream, get over it. The skateboard comparison is a good one, in that skateboarding is truly a skill and truly takes talent, yet no one in the mainstream gives it it's due, and never will simply because the main piece of equipment used is considered a toy.

I have fun when I play and still find this game challenging, I think that the vast majority of players agree or they wouldn't be playing. If you want something "harder", play ball golf. Trying to change the sport because a few dozen players -in the world- have over 100 aces is asinine, and not really relevant to the sport as a whole.
Actually Innova wanted to cap wing size at Wraith speed back when the specs were revised and they have said they would be willing to flush the Destroyer/Boss/etc. down the toilet if that was what was on the table. It's the smaller companies that freak out when you mention this.

Actually Innova wanted to cap wing size at Wraith speed back when the specs were revised and they have said they would be willing to flush the Destroyer/Boss/etc. down the toilet if that was what was on the table. It's the smaller companies that freak out when you mention this.

I would be all for this.

changes to the basket, not so much :/

I just dont see the reason to change it.. Are you saying football, baseball, soccer, hockey, or basketball aren't all kids games? Thats the beauty of sports they're kids games but they're still fun for grown ups to participate in. Yes people get paid to play but they're an elite few and are used for entertainment purposes.
The idea is that if putting was harder it would make disc golf more attractive as entertainment. :|

Don't ask me; I'm just repeating what I was told.

So this is going to fall on the shoulders of the folks who work their a$$e$ off to make the tourneys run? Probably the same ones who busted their tail to get sponsorships just to get the course installed in the first place? Now you're going to tell them, "Soo yeah, why don't just go ahead and buy some new baskets...like all of them. It's only $5400 per 18. Shouldn't be hard."

Some of you are just blowing this off as if it isn't a big deal if it is implemented. I think this issue is a very big deal since this sport is sooo volunteer dependant. Piss off your volunteer base and they will likely walk away and never come back. I've seen it too many times in other contexts. Heck, I was a volunteer for something (not disc golf related) and got stomped on a few times and left. Haven't been back to that situation since.

And I still haven't seen a viable plan for making these large sums of money for smaller baskets appear.
That was just my guess.

The other thing I've heard floated around was that the PDGA would have a traveling set of baskets to be used at NT's. I don't see that happening for a number of reasons. They would have to choose an "official basket" which will be a political boondoggle with all of the different companies that make baskets. Then they would have to transport the baskets all over, which ain't cheap. Then you have an issue with anchoring since the pole sizes are not universal. Then what do you do with the actual course baskets while the tournament baskets are up? It's an expensive logistic mess, and the PDGA probably doesn't have the money to do it even if they were willing to take on the headache. It would be much easier to just put it on the Clubs and make them do it.

The idea is that if putting was harder it would make disc golf more attractive as entertainment. :|

Don't ask me; I'm just repeating what I was told.

But the smaller baskets would make the long putts people don't hit often today close to impossible. Also, one of the most exciting moments in discgolf is the ace. The smaller baskets would hugely impact the number of aces for sure.

But the smaller baskets would make the long putts people don't hit often today close to impossible. Also, one of the most exciting moments in discgolf is the ace. The smaller baskets would hugely impact the number of aces for sure.
If you don't embrace what you have, you often lose it in the scramble to get something you don't have.

id love to play a round with people that think putting is too easy. i bet they'd 'just be having an off day.'

Big Ace funds increase attendance. Ironic that making the baskets smaller or tougher might increase participation, at least for leagues and minis.

So why would we want to change when we have something that we're all passionate about? Maybe im being pig-headed but I just think the sport or activity or whatever you want to call it has attracted an awesome base of players and fans, so why change? I doubt the smaller baskets would do much to attract more players. If anything it would turn the new players off. As for the jump putt: I think you should be able to throw how ever you want as long as youre not passing your mark with the disc still in your hand.

Personally I'd like to see them cap it at speed 9, but I doubt that would be very popular or ever happen haha

Meh

Did the bacon ever come back? I couldn't read all that tail chasing.

I doubt it. Considering I've been playing "folf" (as we indeed called it back then) since 1987 in Montana, and my dad far earlier than that (probably late 70s) I'm actually surprised I don't know the name.

I can say that he was right about the jump putt. I can remember my dad's friend playing in the MT state championships sometime in the early 90s and there was a big uproar because and out of state player jump putted (don't recall if he made the putt) and "we never allowed it." Sometimes, especially in a niche sport, different areas have their own ways of playing.

If the OP was really from MT, which I assume he was, he will surely remember that until the mid-90s we all played on trees. Just marked trees out in the woods. Looking back, it seems weird now because a lot of courses (like the old Rattlesnake course in my hometown) had teepads and signs and were pretty well kept up, but the targets were on trees. There was always "pro" trees (marked with blue tape and a smaller area in which you had to hit) and "am" trees (marked with red tape and with a larger area). I don't think I saw an actual basket until 1996 or whenever they were put in at Blue Mountain in Missoula.

Enough history lesson, though. The idea of smaller targets has merit, as do all valid arguments (which is, of course, which makes them valid) but I don't ever see it happening. We use DG Nomads for the course here in Korea and yes, it makes putting harder, but I don't see gobs of spectators (or players) coming out for our league.

I get the concept, I get the central arguments, but it won't ever fly, IMO. I think disc golf is doing just fine.

Last edited:
ummmm thats debatable.

i've never used one but, to quote you:

It's a smaller putting area, and if you miss, you freaking miss. But I get your point, in that you merely have to hit the chains, rather than actually stick the disc. It wasn't a good comparison, I'll admit.

But I have seen plenty of players struggle with their putts on these, just because of the smaller "impact area" alone. I know Gateway Bullseye targets are a hair smaller still, but at least they have a basket in which to land the disc.