• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Spike hyzer, what do you use?

Finding stiff FAF Firechickens are a pain in the ass though

That's all I could find last year! Had to go out of my way to find a non-flat one.

I use a couple Firebirds, and for shorter shots any stable putter will work when thrown on a clean hyzer line, so Wizard for that.

one of my favorites (no longer in the bag) but have memories of 3 shots in particular I threw a beat Z Crush and hit the top of baskets. It felt so easy to control on a steep hyzer with little lateral movement but still good glide to get some distance out of.

My two primary discs for this are the Valkyrie and Teebird, but have also used my putter when needed.

Used to use a blowfly blunt for short spike hyzers, the thing folded upon landing, maybe a quick short bounce and flopped like it was shot. Unfortunately it sticks to about any tree it touches.

Sinus AP for short spike hyzer lob that may just hit chains.

Trident for just about everything else.

XCaliber for if I need a really long/high one to not flip. On a hyzered line that is so extreme its almost lined up vertically, but that's super rare.

2nd run valk, most os disc I throw, sticks good.

I hate you. (still mad i lost mine 1.5yrs ago, by far best disc i've ever thrown BH, FH, Flex, Skip, Spike, Rollers....and now i'll go in the bathroom and cry a little):thmbdown:

I use flat firebirds and gators....dangit, i need to put at least one gator back in the bag...i forgot i use them for short spike hyzers...my firebird will go too far, and i don't like spiking my whippets or M1. so much for consolidation of my bag, haha

do any of these options change for forehand spike hyzers?

For me, yes. I roll my wrist quite a bit on my FH. I know this, and I've been working on it. But knowing what I know about myself, depending on the distance, I will not throw my Drone or Zone as much. My Drone is an LE FLX Drone that has beaten up a little. Although the fade is predictable, it flattens out too much if I try to power it up. I roll the Zone over on occasion as well.

For short forehand spike hyzers, I will still throw these two. But if I am in need of a FH spike hyzer line with a little more distance, I stick with the Trident and Firebird.

Latest posts