• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Sponsorship opportunity based on am worlds results

allinpflop

Eagle Member
I know we have had threads before about what is needed to obtain a disc golf sponsorship but here goes mine....per my earlier brag some of you may know that my wife finished in 3rd place in women's adv at am worlds last week. Is this result alone enough to be considered for a sponsorship? She still has ledgestone and us women's dgc to play in the next few months to try and get some more premier tourney results. Her rating still hasn't caught up to her current ability but she is planning to play am worlds again next year to try and improve on her 3rd place finish. Thanks in advance for any suggestions or feedback you guys can offer. I realize she prob won't be able to get an innova deal but I was hoping for maybe a pro shop or bag sponsor or maybe even an apparel sponsor but not sure if she has the resume for it.

Do like the skateboarders and have her create a "sponsor me" video. Edit together some nice shots, big putts and make sure to focus on her signature style. Hey, it worked for Mike C.

If she wants sponsorship I think networking and advocating on behalf of herself will go a lot farther then doing well in tournements and waiting for someone to come calling

Given the rather large sponsorship they provided for the tourney I'm not sure they would be the best choice.

Of course she can speak for herself and will when the time comes I was just hoping to get some info from anyone on here who is sponsored.....she isn't very active on the board.

Do like the skateboarders and have her create a "sponsor me" video. Edit together some nice shots, big putts and make sure to focus on her signature style. Hey, it worked for Mike C.

Becoming known for playing shirtless like Mike C would definitely get her some more attention...

Sponsored players are out practicing, not wasting time on the interwebs :)

It may be worth contacting some potential sponsors directly to see what her chances are and how she can improve them. I imagine it is pretty easy to get in touch with "decision makers" at DG companies, it's not like we're talking about Nike or something.

Edit: I highly recommend calling potential sponsors if you can get a phone #. IMO calls are much more efficient than emailing back and forth, and a bit harder to ignore or put off until later.

Last edited:
So no one is sponsored on here?

I'm sponsored by Latitude 64 and Westside Discs. I don't know if I'm the best case study as all I really did was answer their open call for applicants last year (as did Samantha, I imagine). Before that, it was years of playing and running tournaments and running clinics and doing what I could to promote and better the game regardless of brand names. These companies aren't just looking for good players, they're also on the look out for good sales people because that's what most of their sponsored teams are...sales reps promoting the brand on a regional level.

The advice here about contacting various companies is a good one. While placing high in prominent tournaments doesn't hurt, most companies aren't constantly searching tournament results for their next team member. They'll look if they have a reason (like you tell them to check you out), but they're not likely looking at Worlds results and saying "hey, wonder if this one has a sponsor yet?"

Most of all, be patient. Unless they're a newer start-up, most companies have fairly full teams and there's a limit to how many folks they can realistically add at a given time. But they're constantly evaluating and re-evaluating (or at least Lat/WS/DD are). It's not a situation where "I got on the team, I'm in forever", you have to earn your keep so to speak. Spots can open up, and the only way you have a chance to fill one is if they know who you are and know you're interested.

Why do you (or anyone else) want a sponsorship based on AM performance? I didn't think folks got all that much out of it besides maybe a sweatshirt or a couple of stickers. On the other hand, if'n your simply looking to massage the ego...

"Sponsorship" is not a proxy for skill while ratings/wins are. Great players don't "look" for sponsors; sponsors look for them. Sooooo, keep on puttin :)