• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[DGA] Squall squall

The Squall is money. It is like a FD but as a midrange.

Edit: I forgot to add that I like it as a tweener disc. I think it is more useful that way. For slower needs, I'm using a Prodigy A3 and Pilot for approach. For stronger mid fade shots, I use an Eagle X. The Squall fits in there nicely.

Last edited:
I love the squall, but I like it more where it is on the Marshall street chart, way to the right.

It's not my favorite long mid when fresh and straight, but the prolines don't stay there too long.

To me a somewhat beat proline, is a perfect understable turning disc. Easy to choose a nice smooth line to the right on wooded holes (RHBH).

I do wish they would do a run with just a bit of flex plastic, I like some of my understable discs with a bit of extra grip and a somewhat pliable top plate for certain weather conditions.

^^^I've only owned one Squall and it's a clear SP for night rounds. With or without the LED, my Squall is a touch more stable than my Zombees.

I get the Zombee out further with a tight little S line. Both are easy throwers. Again, I've only owned the one Squall, but I've been on a card where a guy did work with an SP and it had the same flight characteristics as mine: dead straight with a gentle fade. A buddy of mine tosses an SP too, to the same effect.

The Squall is one of those discs that can be easily overlooked because it does so many things well. I've been toying around recently with. Kastaplast Kaxe Z and it is very similar to a Squall but a tick more HSS.

I've got a Proline Squall with a slight puddle top that is beautifully straight with a dependable but mild fade. It's been on the bench for a while but I may have to revisit this mold to compliment the Kaxe Z with its line shaping ability.

This tweener speed 6 is an interesting way to look at a bag. With longer putters like Harp, Envy and Reko, you can do away with traditional mids like Rocs, Buzzz and go with a speed 3/4, 6, 9/10/11 setup and be all set. It's certainly a different way to look at a bag and cover all your shots. I'm experimenting with this idea and the Squall fits right in.

My doubles partner, a primary forehander, swears by the Squall. He uses it for just about anything <220' or so, even long putts.

This tweener speed 6 is an interesting way to look at a bag. With longer putters like Harp, Envy and Reko, you can do away with traditional mids like Rocs, Buzzz and go with a speed 3/4, 6, 9/10/11 setup and be all set. It's certainly a different way to look at a bag and cover all your shots. I'm experimenting with this idea and the Squall fits right in.

My bag: Pilot, A3, Squall, Eagle (X), Orion LS, Fireball, and Surge.

I've done what you said with the exception of keeping the Eagle (speed 7) in my line up. I'll power down on the Eagle to cover the sharper hyzer shots and when there is more wind. I can also power up on it for more traditional fairway shots.

Each mold seems to complement the other through their distance-range and stability. The Squall can only hyzer so much before I need to break out the Eagle. The Eagle can only go so far on a anhyzer before I need something more flippy like the Orion, etc. There seems to be less overlap in my bag in doing this way.

In relation to the Squall, I think having a faster mid (and approach/putter) has helped me with lower ceilings where I wanted to go far but not too far.

How far are you folks throwing the Squall?

After figuring a couple of mechanical issues out, I am finding that 240-270 (real distance, not internet) is very managable, and some throws are longer.

Very accurate for me, routinely parking within putting range on 240-270 ft holes.

there is a wooded tunnel shot that is 286' on my local that i can park with the sp squall

How far are you folks throwing the Squall?

After figuring a couple of mechanical issues out, I am finding that 240-270 (real distance, not internet) is very managable, and some throws are longer.

Very accurate for me, routinely parking within putting range on 240-270 ft holes.

That sounds about right if you are getting true fairways (speed 7-9) out to about 270-300.

Yeah, that's perfectly within the realm of possibilities. The Squall is basically as much of a slow FW driver is it is a fast midrange.

My buddy/doubles partner throws these things forehand, and now putts with them exclusively. Weird.

I do wish they would do a run with just a bit of flex plastic, I like some of my understable discs with a bit of extra grip and a somewhat pliable top plate for certain weather conditions.

There are Proline Flex Squalls out there, and they're just what you're describing. I'm bagging one for low tunnel shots around 250' out to maybe 280'. It's great in the woods. Flex Squalls don't have the late fade of the standard Proline; on a hyzer they laser the whole way or make a slow turn when released level.

I can count on the SP out to 300' on a rope and I've gotten it out to 350' on a gradual turning line. And very rarely, I'll use it like Sexton uses his Dart to thread one at the basket from 50' to 100'.

I've noticed the new run of SP Squalls with the medallion have more LSS than the old ones.

There are Proline Flex Squalls out there, and they're just what you're describing. I'm bagging one for low tunnel shots around 250' out to maybe 280'. It's great in the woods. Flex Squalls don't have the late fade of the standard Proline; on a hyzer they laser the whole way or make a slow turn when released level.

I can count on the SP out to 300' on a rope and I've gotten it out to 350' on a gradual turning line. And very rarely, I'll use it like Sexton uses his Dart to thread one at the basket from 50' to 100'.

I've noticed the new run of SP Squalls with the medallion have more LSS than the old ones.

I found them at MST, thanks for the heads up on the flex squalls!

I'm anxious to try it.

Squalls can go a LONG way with very little fade (especially in 150g D-line). I rarely bag another understable mold, and I usually only carry beat-to-understable Polecat and discs in the 12-13 speed range.

Squalls can go a LONG way with very little fade (especially in 150g D-line). I rarely bag another understable mold, and I usually only carry beat-to-understable Polecat and discs in the 12-13 speed range.

I had wondered about the 150g d-line.

They are not too flippy?

I had wondered about the 150g d-line.

They are not too flippy?

The one I had started out dead straight. It beat in somewhat quickly, but hit a sweet spot fairly quickly and I lost it before it got too flippy. They start more stable, and stay more stable, than 150g DX Leopards.