• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[DGA] Squall squall

Dan Ensor

Sophomore
Lets see the Squall love!

I've used the Squall for a few years. It's amazing for me. It covers everything from long putter shots to moderate range fairway driver shots. It'll handle all the power you want to put into it, and has a beautiful, slow turn. Fresh, they fly like a nice seasoned Buzzz; seasoned they fly like a nice seasoned Comet. The SP Squalls beat in slowly, the Proline beats in fairly quickly, but mine has never gotten squirrelly. 150g D-line Squalls fly just like their max-weight Proline counterparts. It's an incredibly versatile disc that can easily replace 3 molds in many bags.

OK, I'll tell my Squall story. Lost a disc in a ravine on Hole 20 at Delaveaga, and found this unmarked red SP Squall. Didn't think much of it at the time, my first throw with it sucked, so I pulled it from the bag. It sat there for many months, but one day I wanted to play with understable mids and I pulled it out again. I basically fell in love with it. Glided farther than my Buzzzes, but was easier to control than my fairway drivers. Made a great left to right turn, with a bit of fade back right at the end, when I threw it flat. Was perfect for a lot of holes my Buzzz couldn't quite reach. I kept that disc for a long, long time, but finally lost it. Now I always keep one in my bag, although quite honestly, I've never liked one as well as the one I found in the ravine. It just had a lot of personality ;)

I took a 150 class Squall out for a throw yesterday, a seasoned Buzzz is pretty good anology. I was really stating to throw it well until the winds picked up. I imagine it will fly like a seasoned Buzzz SS with time, which could be what I'm looking for. I will likely test it some more when the weather clears up around here.

Squall....They feel good in the hand, and just go far and straight for a mid. They have a tweener wing and have a beautiful glide while being very rangeable. So glad I am bagging them now.

I love my squalls. Unfortunately they don't love me back, they keep hiding from me in the bushes. It's probably because I have so much faith in them that I tend to throw them into tight spots.

What are you guys pairing your squalls with? Right now I am pairing mine with hornets and comets. I feel like my squalls and hornets overlap stability wise, but there is a huge speed difference so I like having both in the bag.

Also, where is Deklarius? I'm worried that he hasn't posted here yet. Is he ok? Has he been kidnapped?

I always think of FF8 when "squall" comes up...

have to try one out though after reading a bit of these descriptions.

love the squall. it is my disc that I throw when I am uncertain of what to do. easy to shape lines long and controllable. I pair mine with hornets and a stratus.

I would compare it closer to a Discraft Glide or a Truth (stability speaking).

The squall is sneaky long. I like them but don't personally bag them. They are too much of a tweener disc for me. I like speed 4/5 midranges and speed 7/8 fairway drivers. The Squall fits between those speeds and I don't feel comfortable throwing it with my style. I would like DGA to make a slower under stable mid. Comet/Meteor-ish.

The only one I have left is a great sparkle squall...haven't thrown it in a couple years but it's going back in the bag for awhile. I think of it like a larger, slower Leopard, but it does so much more in the right hands. Great disc, totally underrated.

I've used the Squall for a few years. It's amazing for me. It covers everything from long putter shots to moderate range fairway driver shots. It'll handle all the power you want to put into it, and has a beautiful, slow turn

... I basically fell in love with it. Glided farther than my Buzzzes, but was easier to control than my fairway drivers. Made a great left to right turn, with a bit of fade back right at the end, when I threw it flat. Was perfect for a lot of holes my Buzzz couldn't quite reach.

love the squall. it is my disc that I throw when I am uncertain of what to do. easy to shape lines long and controllable. I pair mine with hornets and a stratus.

Great disc, totally underrated.

I love my squalls.
Also, where is Deklarius? I'm worried that he hasn't posted here yet. Is he ok? Has he been kidnapped?

Haha. All my favorite descriptions were already used. The only one left is "My choice for one disc rounds."
Here's one I've never thrown out: It's the DG equivalent of a 7 iron.

I got a ton of suggestions to try one of these out in another thread and now that I'm reading more about them I'm definitely considering it. I know flight charts are always open to interpretation but Marshall Street has the Squall pretty far over on the understable side of their chart, reading these posts make that sound as though that's not the case.

Is there a variation in the runs or is it different plastic types that effect the stability or is it a toss up as to what's stable and what's flippy? I'd hate to buy one and it be a roller out of the box.

They are both really neutral in stability. Sparkles are more hss and have less fade and prolines have a little more turn and fade, in my experience. Sparkles are the way to go, they just fly better.

Buzzz (left) vs. Squall (right)
Squall%2Bvs.%2BBuzzz.PNG

Leopard (left) vs. Squall (right)
Squall%2Bvs.%2BLeopard.PNG

Stalker (left) vs. Squall (right)
Squall%2Bvs.%2BStalker.PNG

I think I gave away my Truth; I think it might be one of the closer profiles to the Squall.