• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[DGA] Squall squall

Is there a variation in the runs or is it different plastic types that effect the stability or is it a toss up as to what's stable and what's flippy? I'd hate to buy one and it be a roller out of the box.

From the 6-10 I've thrown, all have started very neutral (straight with fade). I'm not sure how many different runs I've thrown, though. At least 2.

I have a pro line that I complement with a Nebula and a Fuse. I wish my Squall was a little more neutral and finish straighter bc there's not a whole lot of difference between it and my beat Neb. The Squall just has better hss and a little less fade.

the squall is a lot more stable and faster then where it is on the marshal street chart. I would put it where the impact is on the chart IMHO.

I've had a Squall in my bag since I pretty much started playing, and because a couple buddies of mine work at DGA too. I prefer the SP Squalls because you can put a little more on them. I personally throw a Glow Squall with the Midnight Flyer stamp on it. They are my go to discs when I need something that just goes straight all day. Released with a slight hyzer and it just flips up to flat and hooks onto that line. I use to have a First Run that was more beat in, but it was by no means flippy. They are extremely versatile, and in minimalist bags, they could easily take over all midrange needs. I pair mine with a Champ Roc3 and Legend Gauge.

What are you guys pairing your squalls with? Right now I am pairing mine with hornets and comets. I feel like my squalls and hornets overlap stability wise, but there is a huge speed difference so I like having both in the bag.

I just set my initial bag for the year. I have them paired with Aftershocks and Drones. I also have them paired with Eagles.

Your Squall overlaps with the Hornet stability-wise? Or the Comet? Cause the Comet is slower than both, and neutral to understable like the Squall.

Squalls and JL gazelles should not be in the same conversation. Maybe squall and a DX gazelle...

Yeah. There's mp overlap there. ATM they're paired with a beat in PMD2 that turns easily and a CMd2 that's a touch more overstable with a gremlin bookending. The squall goes farther than the MD2's so it also slots in similar to a shorter FD. You throw it and it goes straight. Superior driving mid.

I just set my initial bag for the year. I have them paired with Aftershocks and Drones. I also have them paired with Eagles.

Your Squall overlaps with the Hornet stability-wise? Or the Comet? Cause the Comet is slower than both, and neutral to understable like the Squall.

I meant to say that it overlaps with my comets. But after putting my aftershocks back in the bag I am starting to think that the hornet ,aftershock, squall combo is the way to go. I forgot how good aftershocks were.

They are both really neutral in stability. Sparkles are more hss and have less fade and prolines have a little more turn and fade, in my experience. Sparkles are the way to go, they just fly better.

Yep.

D-Line Squalls start out like Prolines new. The turn increases with wear pretty quick, but it maintains its fade at the end pretty well, making it a good choice for turning shots between 200-300'.

Glow Squalls fly like super seasoned SPs. They have less HSS and more glide than SPs. For those reasons, I don't feel as comfortable controlling MF'ers powered up all the way. It also needs more hyzer on release to prevent it from wandering right, at least IME.

I like SP Squalls for the shots that need to be straighter than a powered down Tsunami/Undertow with a bit more distance than my Aftershock. PLs max out around 300' for me, and I can stretch the SP to 320' w/o sacrificing control. I'm bagging a SP as a fairway disc and for tight lines in the woods. I keep my reliable PL in the side pocket more as a situational disc, but my PL Aftershock covers most of the shots I used to rely on it for.

Beefy Squall

Flat, beefy Squall:
Squall201.jpg

Squall202.jpg

Squall203.jpg

Flat, beefy Squall:
Squall201.jpg

Squall202.jpg

Squall203.jpg
are those both Squalls, or what is the reference disc?

pretty much on this thread to see if I was the only one feeling the Marshall Street chart was way off (on the squall stability)! I've had one or another proline in and out of my bag for a couple of years... it just fights with Warship and Zombie for tweener use for me. (the middle spot bookended by Fuse and Pain or Cro for me most rounds.)

by the way, anyone set a caliper to the wing? the listed width is only 1.3cm and my hand, eye, and tape measure say more like 1.5-1.6. optical illusion paired with confirmation bias or could the PDGA registered info be off?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Red is SP Squall. Rim is significantly smaller than a Leopard. Calipers indicate 1.45cm.

I have a flat (almost puddle top) Proline Squall and I love it to pieces. It's plenty HSS, fast and has a very predictable and strong finish. I too find that it flies nowhere near where it sits on the Marshall Street flight chart. For me, it flies like a slightly faster Warship with a stronger fade. I can easily bag both discs on certain courses where I know that I will want a stronger or softer finish to the shot.

I have a flat (almost puddle top) Proline Squall and I love it to pieces. It's plenty HSS, fast and has a very predictable and strong finish. I too find that it flies nowhere near where it sits on the Marshall Street flight chart. For me, it flies like a slightly faster Warship with a stronger fade. I can easily bag both discs on certain courses where I know that I will want a stronger or softer finish to the shot.

^ This! I have a tie-dye Proline from about 7 years ago, and a fairly new Proline from last year. Both are flat and almost concave. The newer Proline has some Z plastic in it, very evident in comparison. Faster warship, absolutely. And I would add "better" Warship. ;)

I carry at least 4 squalls D,pro and SP love Me the squall. I concur Marshall street chart is off on the squall.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Guess what?

Try the Squall as a putter also. It is a great putter, versatile mid/short fairway, and the only disc I trust to just see the target and throw.

Try the Squall as a putter also. It is a great putter, versatile mid/short fairway, and the only disc I trust to just see the target and throw.

Funny you should mention that. I used a Squall for putting on a very windy day in the mountains. My 2 playing partners were having their putters float over and around the baskets while I was drilling the Squall into the basket with impunity.

I know flight charts are always open to interpretation but Marshall Street has the Squall pretty far over on the understable side of their chart, reading these posts make that sound as though that's not the case.

the squall is a lot more stable and faster then where it is on the marshal street chart.

pretty much on this thread to see if I was the only one feeling the Marshall Street chart was way off (on the squall stability)!

I too find that it flies nowhere near where it sits on the Marshall Street flight chart.

I concur Marshall street chart is off on the squall.

Probably the biggest reason I'm not a fan of the MSt chart. There are others in the wrong spot, but most at least border the spot I think they belong in. The Squall is just stupid wrong. I mentioned it on another thread, and the drafter actually responded, "not my best work." It belongs in one of those empty spaces below the Zombee or the Storm. Inbounds Inflight Guide FTW

Probably the biggest reason I'm not a fan of the MSt chart. There are others in the wrong spot, but most at least border the spot I think they belong in. The Squall is just stupid wrong. I mentioned it on another thread, and the drafter actually responded, "not my best work." It belongs in one of those empty spaces below the Zombee or the Storm. Inbounds Inflight Guide FTW

Spot on. I'll say it again, the Squall is my Warship with a stronger fade.