• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Drivers] Stable compliment to Valkyrie

I'll reiterate, I'd highly recommend looking into a Star FL if you're wanting a disc that will feel the same in the hand as your Valkyrie. You might be able to make it out on the Innova website, but the physical shape of the disc is incredibly similar.

PD. Any plastic but P (which are great discs but will overlap your Valks more and more as they beat in).

I use 5 speed 9/10 drivers for distance needs. Champ Roadrunner, Star Valk, 3 C-PDs of different stabilities. The 4th run C-PDs are waay less overstable than the most recent run so it's very workable.

I threw Valks as my main distance driver for many years. I carried a Star as my "stable" Valk and a Champ as my "flippy" Valk. Discmania CD makes a nice complement, even though you don't hear much about the CD these days. The usual description for the CD is a glidier Viking.

Tern has a very similar flight to a Valk, so I could see a Tern as a Valk replacement rather than a complement.

Teebird is an excellent complement to a Valk. Seasoned DX Teebird for straight, Star or Champ Teebird for stable with fade, and Valks for S-curves and turnovers. DX Teebirds will fly a long way once the initial stability wears off.

Escape might be another possibility. I have only thrown Lucid Air Escapes, which are a little too close to a Valkyrie, but a more stable Escape might pair very well.

I hope that helps.

PD... Go with an S, you could go with P but you would have to cycle them to avoid overlap. Better yet, beat in a PPD, and get a couple SPD's and drop the valk.

Thanks for all the replies. Headed out to my local store this afternoon. They don't have a huge selection but I found a Champ Valk to compliment its Star cohort. Stopped at a field and in a couple throws, seems to be able to handle the job.

I am going to give the other discs some serious consideration for something to order. It would be nice to get something a bit more overstable and let it beat in to that sweet spot that will hold for a long time. I have a feeling this champ Valk will eventually become a duplicate of what I have already.

Thanks again!

That looks like it should do great for you. It'll take a long time for the champ to beat in to what a Valk should be, and even longer for it to get really flippy. You might really like an opto Saint, too, but they can be flippy sometimes and can ride an anny to the ground or get forced by wind...the hss just isn't there and they don't seem to recover from it after a bad throw. Great disc, though. Saint Pro might be worth a shot, too, but they're pretty stable. Vikings are really underrated and unless you need something overstable you might pick up a champ and give it a try. They don't carry as far as a Valk and they feel slightly different in the hand, but very similar and a nice disc. They just never got that popular for some reason. If your store doesn't stock the smaller brands, ask them to tack on a Viking to their next order.

Ok, maybe I am crazy. Today I went out with a 173 JK pro Valkyrie. It is by far the absolute most stable Valkyrie I have ever thrown and I have thrown A LOT of valks. I always carry a Viking if I need something a bit more on the OS side, but found today that I can carry the JK pro valk and and my flippier 167 JK 5x champ valk. I am super pleased with this finding. I will still keep the Vikings as I know the jk pro will get flippier as I go. But for now I can just carry my valks. So dang happy with this discovery. It just sucks I will never find another JK pro valk for 18 bucks.

yeah some of those are really flat and high PLH. not even the same disc almost but pretty sure that's how the CE's were too compared to current ones.

I'm surprised at the lack of suggestions for an Orc. At the distances your throwing your Valk at, an Orc would be a nice faster, more stable compliment and should hold up well into a headwind. A PD is also a great choice.

As someone who was looking for an understable complement to the PD, I can tell you this, get a 165-166 S-PD It'll start stable, but as it seasons it actually turns into a fresh Valkyrie. Get a P-PD for right now if you must, but seriously, mid 160s S-PD is a thing of beauty.

I've been in the same predicament, my Star Valkyrie is no longer coming back but it holds nice annie lines now which are useful. Tried a champion Orc but the one I got was a meat hook! Just bought a Saint which I haven't yet tried and a Champion Valkyrie and I can say that the Champion is definitely more stable. How long the stability holds? not sure, but so far I like it. Be taking the Saint out tomorrow for some tests.

I've been in the same predicament, my Star Valkyrie is no longer coming back but it holds nice annie lines now which are useful. Tried a champion Orc but the one I got was a meat hook! Just bought a Saint which I haven't yet tried and a Champion Valkyrie and I can say that the Champion is definitely more stable. How long the stability holds? not sure, but so far I like it. Be taking the Saint out tomorrow for some tests.

I've only played 3 rounds since getting the Champ Valk but so far, so good. It is definitely more stable then the beat-in star version and is doing exactly what I want it to do at the moment. I'm hoping this will last for a while as well.

I have thrown Valks since I began in '01 and max weight Champs are good, but I gotta agree with the VIKING suggestion. I have always thought it is the Male Valk or that a Valk had an illegitimate child with a broken in Firebird.

Another one is the Avenger. I love Predators too, but the Avenger seems like it would land between the Valk and the Pred.

Just got a Wraith also, and that is a great suggestion at near the same weight.

Latest posts