• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Mids] Stable midrange between an Envy and a Teebird

wims

Double Eagle Member
I'm looking for a stable midrange that has incredible high speed stability and a dependable glidey fade rather than a dumpy one. I have been bagging Roc3's for this shot, but its not nearly as high speed stable as I'd like and it barely fades, more like 1 in fade rather than the billed 3. Perhaps I got a dud, I don't know. What are your suggestions? I have no brand loyalty, any brand is fine, except for the super small ones that my importer doesn't carry (they carry a lot of brand, just not the tiny boutique ones like RDG or whatever)

ive heard the clear i-dye roc3s are pretty stable..

If you want to try another brand, maybe try a prodigy m1

I use a Discraft Wasp as my stable midrange. I love the predictable fade back to the basket. It is my go to disc for when I want my upshot to fade left. Also works pretty well for S shots.

Rick G

I'm looking for a stable midrange that has incredible high speed stability and a dependable glidey fade rather than a dumpy one. I have been bagging Roc3's for this shot, but its not nearly as high speed stable as I'd like and it barely fades, more like 1 in fade rather than the billed 3. Perhaps I got a dud, I don't know. What are your suggestions? I have no brand loyalty, any brand is fine, except for the super small ones that my importer doesn't carry (they carry a lot of brand, just not the tiny boutique ones like RDG or whatever)

Perhaps a Roc instead of a Roc3? You might also try a Cro or Shark3, perhaps a King Cobra.

Side note: I do think your Roc3 might be an aberration or else very beat in. My various Roc3s are very straight with dependable fade.

Dropped my Roc3s for Verdicts when I want high speed stable and a solid fade at the end and couldn't be happier. Also feels great in the hand.

With the Envy being so fast (it flies far enough that it could be considered a super slow mid), you will more than likely need something on the faster end of the mid spectrum to complement it.

Millennium Q-Sentinel or Discraft Hornet would be my suggestion. Of course these will infringe on your TeeBirds since they're so slow for being a driver.

With the Envy being so fast (it flies far enough that it could be considered a super slow mid), you will more than likely need something on the faster end of the mid spectrum to complement it.

Millennium Q-Sentinel or Discraft Hornet would be my suggestion. Of course these will infringe on your TeeBirds since they're so slow for being a driver.

Tbird knows what he is talking about.

The Sentinel, Hornet and Verdict are all what you are looking for.
I'd recommend the Verdict as they tend to be the most consistent in terms of flat tops.

Eclipse Vector. Very Roc3 like and seem to be a tad more hss than the Roc3.

Doesnt need to be eclipse. Mostly just max weight and slight dome which is pretty standard. Its a little faster than roc3s and many of those ive had were flatter. I think mcbeth mentions using domey roc3s as his OS ones.

Envy = mini roc really just rip datish.

Doesnt need to be eclipse. Mostly just max weight and slight dome which is pretty standard. Its a little faster than roc3s and many of those ive had were flatter. I think mcbeth mentions using domey roc3s as his OS ones.

Yeah, I've only thrown Eclipse, so I didn't feel comfortable recommending the other plastics. I would agree that the Vectors I have seen tend to have more dome than Roc3s, so maybe it is just that.

Get yourself a Max weight Blue or Hot Pink Protege Ghost.. i can rip mine hard as hell and they just sail straight with a glidey fade.. my fav are the domey heavy blue ones.

Good discs in the Roc and Roc Clone family:

Vector: Get one a little domey, it's more similar to a Rancho Roc than a Roc3 in stability.
Roc3: A max weight that has a bigger dome will be more OS, so you might look for that.
Roc: A Star/Champ/KC Pro Rancho Roc is going to generally have more HSS than a Roc3.
Wasp: Also very similar to a Roc.

Good choices that are not a Roc or Roc clone:

Sentinel: I've never one, so I can't speak to these but they sound like what you want.
Hornet or Drone: also great OS, longish mids.
M2: In 400 or 750 plastic this would probably work well for you.
Verdict: I've not thrown these either, but once again it sounds about like what you're looking for.
Mace: Not sure if this is actually a Roc clone, but I know lots of Trilogy sponsored pros throw these for their OS mids so seems like a good choice.

Latest posts