• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Star Mako or Elite X Comet?

You know I love the Comet; but after hearing you say this, why are you still throwing it?
Sorry for the drift. I'll try to make it quick.

When the Comet is working, every disc in my bag works better. Once I reach that "Comet groove" I'm playing the best golf that I can. The reason it is frustrating is that my game is mid-dominated. Once I start to struggle with it, 60% of my shots just went to Hell and I really don't have anything to pick up the slack. So being in the Comet groove=best golf I can play, out of the Comet groove=pathetic, embarrassingly bad golf. The highs and lows are dramatic.

With the Roc it does not force me to concentrate on my form so much, so my other discs don't get better. It also is more forgiving so it's much harder for my game to completely fall apart. The high isn't so high, but the low isn't as low.

Really all I'm doing by sticking with the Comet is trying to maintain that high. Right now I'm badly out of the groove, so I'm kinda pissy about it.

The coyote is a good selection in my opinion. I JUST bought a Mako myself...so I'll let you know what I think of it tomorrow ;)

i just traded my esp comet for a star mako yesterday, the comet was to always turning right, which i needed, but it would burn and turn to hard for my liking so my shots would cut short. the mako seems to stretch the anny a little better, a softer anny-line if you will. so with that said, star mako imho.

I have a Meteor. I'm looking for something that sits in between the Buzzz and Meteor.

The Comet is great, but it is a large diameter disc compared to the Buzzz and Meteor.

I prefer the Z and Champion plastic personally.

The Coyote is also a great disc to fill the gap, but I think it is also a large diameter disc.

Maybe get a Pro-D or Elite-X Buzzz to keep the size and feel similar.

i just traded my esp comet for a star mako yesterday, the comet was to always turning right, which i needed, but it would burn and turn to hard for my liking so my shots would cut short. the mako seems to stretch the anny a little better, a softer anny-line if you will. so with that said, star mako imho.

I am very sad you had a LE ESP comet and traded it for just a star mako.

I just picked up some Comets, solely for the purpose of practice...not sure if they'll go in my bag, but they seem to be high on the list of form development discs. Man, do they go far, too...

Mako is a bit more stable and much harder for me to turn over.

If you are looking for a good understable midrange, look at a Stingray. I've never thrown a DX, as I personally have the Star version. If thrown on an anny line with a tad of snap, it will keep the line and not return. If thrown with a some hyser and some snap, it will flip up and go straight with an insane amount of glide and relatively little fade.

There is a hole at one of my local courses that is a complete bitch. It is a narrow (~8-10' wide), straight, 320' slight uphill shot from the tee. I pulled out my Stingray and parked the disc next to the basket. Did I mention that I absolutely love this disc?

ive got a mako and i feel i can get it to do what i want it to. i putt with a dart, and having +1 more for the speed and glide..this is the darts big brother imo. if i wanna throw it out on an anny it just holds the line with minimal if any fade. when i wanna hyzer it, same thing, it does what I DO.

ive used this thing as a headwind midrange, putter, driver, ect. this disc has eliminated multiple strokes from my midrange game, which was non existent before

I finally understand what you mean by the comet groove. Today I started throwing it nice and all my other shots were coming out farther and straighter.

I couldn't find the other Mako thread but my daughter won a star mako as a ctp today and Christy and I took it in the back yard and played catch with it and man you guys were right, you can shape just about any line with this thing...its a sweet number. Sorry lil one...you lost a disc. ;) Actually she told Christy she could use it because its a 175g.

I got an ace with my x-comet last night, so I'm a little biased.

For me, my buzz is great if I need a shot to go far and to fade predictably at the end. The comet is great if I want it to just turn right(slightly, RHBH) forever (unless I put a lot of air under it and then there is a slight fade). It's also really great if I want it to just go straight and drop.

Mine is pretty new and it works great. I'll see how it holds up with age. I also have a z-comet and it flies the same (but will probably change less with time).