• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Starting discs for female friend

SSquirrel

Double Eagle Member
So I have a female friend who is interested in learning how to play disc golf. She's currently checking out some of the discraft videos on youtube. I already suggested nothing beyond a fairway driver to start with. What weights are a good start for her? I was recently recommended around 165 for fairways/drivers and 168-170 for mids. Same for her?

I got my gf a 136 dx leopard, 150ish diamond, 150 teebird, 160ish dx skeeter, 165 d stratus, and an APX (mostly based off of what I had laying around) She has the most luck with the diamond, and she can get some good d out of the leopard. We played our first round mostly with the skeeter, but she had the most fun when she started throwing the drivers and getting some nice d.

If you're helping her learn, this is what worked for me: make sure the focus is on fun whether or not you count strokes, keep having fun. I am learing to throw with my left (off) hand as she's learning right. I can face her and demonstrate the same motion. She can occasionally out drive me, and beat me by 4 strokes the last time we played, and I'm learning a skill that will be helpful on the course someday.

Just came in to see how quickly someone said "Get her a teebird".

At least it wasn't "170ish Champ Teebird" LOL

Buzzz, Teebird and Comet are a couple of things I was considering already. Here is what I already have in my bag, so she will get a chance to throw some things before we go to a course. There looks to be a pretty good store where she lives, so we may end up getting her some discs before we go play, not sure yet.

Putter:
Discraft 172 Pro D Magnet (Soft)
Gateway 171 Wizard (Eraser)
Gateway 175 Warlock SSS
Innova 167 Aviar DX

Mid-Range:
Discraft 175 Buzzz Elite Z
Innova 175 Panther Champion
Innova 166 DX Wolf

Driver:
Discraft 174 Pro D Surge
Discraft 171 Z Nuke SS
Innova 172 Beast DX
Innova 168 Champion Groove
Innova 171 Sidewinder DX

Just about any traditional putter is fine, a mid weight stable to understable mid like a shark, diamond, flying squirrel and a light base plastic fairway driver like a leopard, cheetah or cyclone, that's a fantastic beginner set that lets new players feel like they have a full arsenal of discs but still are throwing good discs for their power and skill level.

I always recommend a 150 Class Z Storm, great starter disc for weaker arms. They are OOP but often available for about $12. It's easy to throw and holds up well on the course.

Is she an athlete? If not, and trust me on this one, get her a Stratus. You can give her a putter too if it makes you/her feel good.

Don't try to do the whole "omgzors dgcr says avoid OAT and get X,Y,and Z experimental disc and company" blah blah blah. Get a disc that's flippy as sh*t and has tons of glide. I had put a stratus in my bag to practice midrange BH rollers, and went out of town with the gf. She forgot her discs (a putter, a buzzz, and a JLS is her bag) and we went to play a course. I gave her one of my putters and my stratus from my bag, and it was the happiest round I've ever seen her throw. Newer/casual players don't care about the technical crap, they just want to see the disc stay in the air for as long as possible.

Leopard, Xpress, Stratus, Magnet, Underworld, Mamba,Comet. I did not encourage my wife, when starting out to go to light weights, just something understable. As she progressed the discs still fit her for years to come.

my wife has been playing with me after I introduced her to it about 2.5 years ago. her most used discs are:

168 Star Shark
light weight elitex cyclone*
and a 150g champ mamba*

*the later 2 were gotten at the womens worlds event last year.

she also carries 3-4 other discs but those are her most used. got her first ace with the mamba last week on a 236ft hole.

anything neutral->understable and not max weight should be fine. its going to be more about form than disc choice (same as guys).

I'm in the same boat. Trying to get my gf into disc golf. Today I am headed to PIAS and pick up a dx leopard/dx aviar for her to start dominating with.

tbh OP, of your bag I would probably recommend none of those discs for her aside from the putters, the buzzz and the sidewinder.

Get a dx leopard. The weakest, most unathletic girl I've ever met (happens to be a friend) had fun throwing the leopard. I think she gets about 100ft max.

Trying to get the wife into disc. Got her a purple 150 shark and aviar p&a. going saturday to see how it goes. main plan is to just have fun to keep her from getting frustrated ( she is competitive by nature so I want to avoid that for now )

My wife currently carries:

170 JLS for her "stable" duties
165 JLS for her straight/flippy duties

170 Suspect probably her favorite disc
170 Tursas close second to the Suspect

173 Ion for upshot
172 Soft Challenger putting

Get her some controllable drivers so she can stay in the fairway for the most important shot in a woman's game..the second shot. This is where good mids come in play. I wouldn't go too light on any discs, as this will teach her habits that'll be hard to get over when she gets her form good and wants heavier discs.

I would say give her just one disc and have her play with just one disc at a time to get used to the game. That one disc should also not be a driver of any kind.

and yes unless she has some level of innate athletic ability this one disc must be flippy as all get out.

I suggest a Polecat, a Wedge, a Rattler, a Stingray, a Comet, a Sonic, or the Lat Ruby/Pearl. When you play with said person only bring one disc yourself and make it more about the experience and fun of disc golf and not about technique/disc selection.

also I hope this is just a platonic friend and not someone you are romantically pursuing. If this person is an object of your affection just cancel all of this ****.

tbh OP, of your bag I would probably recommend none of those discs for her aside from the putters, the buzzz and the sidewinder.

Yeah, I kinda figured that. She was thinking play a round before buying some discs for her, so I'm planning on letting her toss several first so she can have an idea and recommend if she enjoys it we grab teh discs before we hit the course.

Trying to get the wife into disc. Got her a purple 150 shark and aviar p&a. going saturday to see how it goes. main plan is to just have fun to keep her from getting frustrated ( she is competitive by nature so I want to avoid that for now )

The purple aviar in my bag is my 7 1/2 yo daughter's disc. I bought it last week and she played a few holes, but it was this last round earlier this week that was 11 holes that did it for her. She went from rarely throwing where she wanted to be being more or less on target and 30-50' a toss. So proud :)

also I hope this is just a platonic friend and not someone you are romantically pursuing. If this person is an object of your affection just cancel all of this ****.

Hehe nah I'm married and my wife has no interest really. This is just a friend

I don't get why people suggest drivers. New players can't get them up to speed, over/understability doesn't even matter if you can't get them going fast enough.

Midrange and putter. They will fly further anyway.

Got my gf some discs finally! An innova starter pack that came with the leopard/shark/aviar combo. Here is a practice throw with the leopard from her first practice session. She will be dominating soon!

I always recommend a 150 Class Z Storm, great starter disc for weaker arms. They are OOP but often available for about $12. It's easy to throw and holds up well on the course.
great kid disc :thmbup:

I urge a 175 beadless aviar, 175 dx stingray, and 175 dx leopard (preferably beat). Failing that, go to the used disc store and get some seriously beat base plastic that was on the understbale end of the stability spectrum when it was new.

Latest posts