• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Discraft] Sting

I've only thrown one of each in similar heavier weights, FR Z Sting and Circuit Relay, but I found the Relay is faster with earlier turn than the floatier Sting. I was pretty surprised at how easily the Relay flipped to flat and held straight. Also surprised at how long it takes the Sting to start turning.

Another point for how throwing styles make discs act different.

I bag both a Ti Sting and a Circuit Relay. The Sting is diffentally more understable for me. The Sting also has more glide and a bit more late fade.

The Relay, for me, is better at tunnel shots as it has minimal turn and fade. A little like a Comet, but a little more turn and a bit faster.

I use the Sting for late turn shots and uphill control. It has more distance potential.

I play with a guy who has a Big Z Sting. The Big Z seems to be a true understable disc that needs lots of hyzer to fly straight.

Threw me ESP sting today. More under stable and a bit slower than the relay. Effortless hyzer flip to flat on low power and effortless turning shots on high power high lines. Flies for me how my relay used to. Definitely can't throw it in any kind of headwind and does not take well to any kind of oat. Unless I got the nose up once it starts turning it doesn't fade.

Threw me ESP sting today. More under stable and a bit slower than the relay. Effortless hyzer flip to flat on low power and effortless turning shots on high power high lines. Flies for me how my relay used to. Definitely can't throw it in any kind of headwind and does not take well to any kind of oat. Unless I got the nose up once it starts turning it doesn't fade.

Interesting, I've been waiting for this post with baited breath......

Any comparisons to a Champ Roadrunner? I'm starting to think maybe I will rethink my Sting wants/ needs.... It sure felt good in the hand, like magical good

Interesting, I've been waiting for this post with baited breath......

Any comparisons to a Champ Roadrunner? I'm starting to think maybe I will rethink my Sting wants/ needs.... It sure felt good in the hand, like magical good

Don't have a champ roadrunner at the moment but just going off what I remember I feel like there isn't a lot of overlap there. The hand feel on the sting is great. Feels like a flat ish heat with a narrower rim.

I'm assuming the original ace race ESP sting is the flippiest version?

I haven't thrown any haha but from what I read yes.. Then then the Big Z, ESP,Z, Ti....

I'm still horny on those, gonna feel one up next week and see if I end up cheating on my MVP, I want a big Z with the Scorpion.. Just because it's a Scorpion just not by Innova... I thought about a 150 Relay but I don't know.. The Sting felt REALLY good!

Last edited:
These smaller rimmed comfy fairway drivers are all the rage these days. Just not sure if I need to try a sting between my heat and my archer.

These smaller rimmed comfy fairway drivers are all the rage these days. Just not sure if I need to try a sting between my heat and my archer.

Threw a Sting for the first time, and that is exactly how it flew for me, right between the two. Big Z, and thrown flat and smooth in calm air it had a beautiful slow curve that held pretty much until landing: much like an Archer, but longer.

I will look forward to throwing this NOT in snow with a parka and boots.

Are the Big Z's flatter than the regular Z's?

From the small sample I've seen online and my stack, Big Z's have been more consistently domey, than Z, but only a touch. I throw ESPs mainly, and when doing field work with the lot (Z, ESP, and Big-Z) they are doing so much flipping in the air, it's hard to see much of a difference in stability for me.

From the small sample I've seen online and my stack, Big Z's have been more consistently domey, than Z, but only a touch. I throw ESPs mainly, and when doing field work with the lot (Z, ESP, and Big-Z) they are doing so much flipping in the air, it's hard to see much of a difference in stability for me.

Thank you, are ESP's the flattest of the bunch?

Really trying to replace my old worn in PFN Pro Leopards and don't really care for domey fairway drivers.

I had an AR Sting that flew great and felt great in the hand.

Just trying to get close to that.

Really trying to replace my old worn in PFN Pro Leopards and don't really care for domey fairway drivers.

I have a couple max weight first run Z. Very flat after a bit of shoulder. Considerably more stable than the Big Z I tried.

I just pulled a Z, Big Z, and ESP out of the trunk. Held a ruler over the BigZ and compared it to the ESP and Z, and they are both 3mm lower. Not significant to me but handfeel preferences vary. OTB discs has some ESPs and Zs on the flat side: https://otbdiscs.com/product/sting/

Oh, and though OTB's one Ti is listed as domey, I've had some Ti Nukes and Buzzz OS's that were puddle topped. There might be some super flat Ti Stings out there... ESP should match that AR though.

Last edited:
Bumping this thread to say I love this disc.

They are hard to find right now, but are about perfect for my play style.

Nailed an Ace today in a practice round with a Red Z Sting. It was Cubby, Anhyzer, about 150ft, nothing amazing, but fun nonetheless.

Simple point disc and shoot for me, for those backhand anhyzers where I need to move around trees.

Bumping this thread to say I love this disc.

They are hard to find right now, but are about perfect for my play style.

Nailed an Ace today in a practice round with a Red Z Sting. It was Cubby, Anhyzer, about 150ft, nothing amazing, but fun nonetheless.

Simple point disc and shoot for me, for those backhand anhyzers where I need to move around trees.

Cryztal Sparkles in Ledgestone Wave 2:
https://lisopen.com/articles/2021-ledgestone-discs

Excited about both the Sting and the Tour Series Cyclone.