• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Discraft] Sting

I wrote som stuff about my testing ARCHER VS STING in the Archer tread.

For me the STING in Big-Z is more US than my Z, Ti and Big-Z Archer and flies quite different. . .

In short...The STING does one thing, it slowly turns right for a RHBH thrower. . .very predictable and nice to have

The ARCHER in Z flips up a then goes straight until it stalls out and drops. . in Ti and Big-Z it flips up and then slowly driftes right.. . if thrown low the ARCHER has to be released on a Hyzer or it will flip to the ground. . .you can throw i flat or with an anhyzer but then then you have to throw i high

Yeah having thrown only the Archer in Z, it is my easiest disc to do a right turn disc when I anhyzer the disc as well as end of flight roller/ backhand roller. The Archer in Z seems to be more multi use disc for me as well as a slower stright shot but then my midrange mold I use as a true midrange and a slow fairway mold do the same shot.

I am RHBH primarily player as well as a forehand low profile putter/slow midrange forehand putt player when I am needing a forehand shot.

The Big-Z STING and ARCHER are similar in flight . . .The ARCHER in Z is the "oddball" of the plastics with a unique flight

So very interested in the STING in Z

When I say "Big-Z STING and ARCHER are similar in flight " thats not 100% correct, there are some differences thats hard for me to describe in English ( easy in Swedish ;) )

But i will give it a try later today. . ( at work now )

Made an order for Z and Ti STING, so i can try all the plastic types that the STING and ARCHER comes in against each other ..

For now the ARCHER in Z and Ti is in the bag. . .but i might change the ARCHER and ROADRUNNER for a Z/Big-Z STING combo. . one less mould in the bag

So i took my new Ti and Z STING out to the field today together with my old Big-Z and 3xARCHER in the same three plastics. .so total of six discs.

My goal was not to power throw them but more finesse throws in the 250-270feet range

My first throw was hilarious. .
I throw my Big-Z STING on a slight hyzer and it flew as it always does, flip up and slowly drifted far right
Then i throw the Ti at the same hyzer angle. .it didn´t even flip up to flat, it stayed on a slight hyzer angle and faded out at the end.
So the Big-Z ended up 50 feet to the right of my throwing line. . the Ti 50 feet to the left of the line. . so 100 feet apart!!

Last i throw the Z STING, and i throw it more flat and it started to drift right but still came back left in the end

after throwing all three for an hour i would give them the following flight numbers:

Big-Z. . 7, 5, -3,5, 0
Z. . . . 7, 5, -2, 1
Ti. . . .7, 5, -1,5, 1

all three of the ARCHER are more stable than the Big-Z STING but less stable than the Z and Ti STING
But the ARCER have a differenf flight and is more of a mid . . STING is more a fairway.

Not sure yet what will make the bag. . Big-Z STING can do things no other disc in my bag can. . and the Ti STING is super straight if thrown low with a slight hyzer.

But the ARCHER is super fun to throw on tight lines in the woods. .

Good run down Jolt. The Sting has been what I have wanted the Star and Pro Leopards to be, dependable US fairways. The Big Z Sting is very dependable for anhyzers that turn consistently without burning into the ground. It even functions better than the US mids I have used (Stingray, Tursas, & Meteor) for those kinds of shots. As for the Ti Sting, I use it for placement shots. Again, I tend to use it as others use their stable mids.

As for what I pair it with. Fuzion Felon - Ti Vulture - Fuzion Escape - Ti & Big Z Sting.

Nice to hear that someone else had similar experience . .the big-z/ti combo can really work as an US mid and US to straight fairway

But I do still like the Archer for what it can do

Picked up a Sting to try out, 170s and in BigZ. Here's my mini review:

First throw was my first of the day with any disc, so naturally it was nose up and yucky. The Sting handled the nose up like a champ and flew relatively straight without stalling out and fading as hard as I would have expected - this is worth mentioning as this may be an appropriate choice for new players looking for a turnover driver that is not nose-angle sensitive.

My fairway shot on that hole I kept the nose down and ended up with a turn and burn. OK, now I know what I'm dealing with I thought to myself.

Next hole I used it was on a dicey fairway that basically draws up as a hyzer flip thrown down a tunnel, through what amounts to a double mando of trees, with a late turn and gentle fade onto a rocky, fast green, probably 250 ft all told. Thrown on a very slight hyzer, Sting went straight through the tunnel, flipped through the double mando, and rather fading and skittering onto the green the way I'd hoped, continued on it's flipped trajectory and buried itself in the backstop 20 ft past the basket.

I would describe the Sting as a flippy Leopard - it's the exact speed as the regular leo and the turn comes early in flight. I could change my mind, but the distance that it wants to fly is a little awkward in that I can't imagine throwing it much on an open hole for for a second shot, but it's a little long for dicey shot shaping in the woods. There are a few holes around here I could see it being useful on where I would typically throw a flippy leopard, but I might also be satisfied throwing a flippy mid and playing the glide. I suppose on a lower ceiling the Sting would be a great choice.

A Sting plus a champ/star leo would be an awesome one-two punch for short fairways.

Keep in mind that the Big-Z is by far the most US STING. . .The Z and Ti will be more "champ leo like"

Outside the edit window, let me also say that I ripped one forehand for kicks with the BigZ and it flipped up and flew like a laser before hitting a tree. Chunky rimmed US discs are so comfy for FH... not really my thing, but something to consider for FH-dominant folks looking for a hyzer flipper.

I saw one in the store here, the Sting obviously... felt really good in the hand and was instantly curious.. I probably won't bother grabbing it but that throw with MJ you guys posted was awesome!

Ive had one for quite a while and it's in the bag. Holds a hyzer for a long time before initiating the turn (relatively). I love it.

I used to throw a relay for those smooth low power hyzer flip fairways and have tried a couple different leos. Recently discs have been flying considerably more stable for me, I don't know if I'm putting more spin on the disc/throwing cleaner or accidentally putting too much hyzer on my throws but they seem to go the same distance just don't flip up anymore. What kind of sting should I get for a slightly more flippy neutron relay/star leopard?

Yes Im especially curious about a Sting / Relay comparison I read a bit in here but nothing really direct...

OMG (like my kid says) I checked the big Z stock at my favourite shop online they have a 166... it's a Scorpion... now I want one of those. I threw an Innova one for years! If I did it would be my first non gyro in years.. If they had a sparkle Z Comet it would already be in the mail..

Yes Im especially curious about a Sting / Relay comparison I read a bit in here but nothing really direct...

OMG (like my kid says) I checked the big Z stock at my favourite shop online they have a 166... it's a Scorpion... now I want one of those. I threw an Innova one for years! If I did it would be my first non gyro in years.. If they had a sparkle Z Comet it would already be in the mail..

I just ordered an ESP sting so I'll let you know:clap:

I've only thrown one of each in similar heavier weights, FR Z Sting and Circuit Relay, but I found the Relay is faster with earlier turn than the floatier Sting. I was pretty surprised at how easily the Relay flipped to flat and held straight. Also surprised at how long it takes the Sting to start turning.