• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Discraft] Sting

Lost my go to Sting...it's back up is in the bag and ordered another (heavier) backup.

Lost my go to Sting...it's back up is in the bag and ordered another (heavier) backup.

Where'd it go?

I grabbed an exact duplicate to the one I've been bagging, 176g flat FRZ. Slid one up to the basket today on a tight 250' tunnel mando, low FH line drive.

Where'd it go?

I grabbed an exact duplicate to the one I've been bagging, 176g flat FRZ. Slid one up to the basket today on a tight 250' tunnel mando, low FH line drive.

Kept turning and found some tall grass and I couldn't spot it. :(

Update since I said I might, well I did. Put the AR Sting back in the bag. Threw it a few times, over torqued everytime even when I was telling myself not to, including one throw where I tried throwing it like I normally do my Meteor in that spot. Not real sure if I was relieved or sad when it was found in the shule after I was ready to declare it lost.

Anyway...carry on with your thread, I won't bother you anymore.

So the Sting at first glance seems to overlap with fast, US mids, the Archer most clearly. Is it a tick faster, like about the speed of a Leopard? Is it truly flippy in BigZ? How do they power down? How do they figure into a fairway lineup these days with everything being closer to a speed 9?

So the Sting at first glance seems to overlap with fast, US mids, the Archer most clearly. Is it a tick faster, like about the speed of a Leopard? Is it truly flippy in BigZ? How do they power down? How do they figure into a fairway lineup these days with everything being closer to a speed 9?

I'd call it a 6 speed with good glide. I tried one Big Z at 170g and it was considerably flippier than a 176g Z. Big Z-3/1, Z -2/1.

I have a Big Z Sting, and yes it is -3/1. So what are the other plastics like? ESP, Titanium, and reg. Z? The flippy Big Z has its purpose, but I would really like a grippy(ish), -2/1 version.

My 171 Big-Z is domey, and I might even consider it -4/1. I have Roadrunners more high speed stable!

Fun disc though. Shelved it for now, but it's definitely going into my winter bag.

Thinking about trying an ESP. Just waiting for some reviews of how ESP flies first. I can't grip Z, so that's out.

I just bought a used Sting over the weekend. Have thrown it a bit over a couple rounds now and I really like it. it's what I wanted out of the Leo3. I'm wondering if I got a strange one though. I thought the Ace Race Stings were all ESP plastic. Mine has the Ace Race stamp with a cool wonderbread foil, but it definitely looks like Big Z to me. it didn't look like the ESP Stings on the rack at all. I can post a photo later but were there other plastics for this disc at the Ace Race?

Any reason for me to drop my max weight Z Archer for the hyzerflip / turnover slot to experiment with a sting instead?

Or does it fill a completely different role?

Or does it fill a completely different role?
Different slots in my bag.
Sting is faster, and not as understable as an Archer, hence they don't turn quite as early (or as sharply) as an Archer.

My AR Sting really does fly like a beat Leopard.
Closest thing to an Archer is a Stratus.

Picked up a couple Z Stings, had some extra store credit after trading some discs in and picking up some backups.

My round with them got cut way short by rain but got a few throws in. Seems controllable, good glide. Not sure on max range because I was in the woods.

Seemed like a good disc but not sure what shots I'll need it for. My Truth cycle handles that range fantastically and I've got a couple of Prime Truths getting close to being flippy. Might add a few more feet to my range but my Truths are just so trustworthy.

Still tossing the Sting!

What kind of shots are you using them on?

This Saturday I'm playing a tourney on a fairly wooded, super steep hillside course (Chavez Ridge) with a lot of left to right holes or dead straight ones that if you hyzer out on, you're going a looong way down the slope. My FH is crap, so I picked up 3 of them to work on touch hyzerflips, and found they have some other uses that I hope will get me out of trouble some round in the future:

- sky rollers, sans-anny release
- rollers you need to get down quick
- steep (nearly 90 degrees if thrown at full power) hyzerflips that get to the turning portion of their flight, crazy late down the fairway
- sky turnovers in place of a sky annys, which were a pretty inconsistent shot for me. I was getting pretty easy distance with at lunch today with them:

Attachments

• Sting.JPG
    Sting.JPG
    100.2 KB · Views: 34
I've already asked this, but what is the flattest version of these so far?

I'm trying to replace my old PFN Pro Leopards.

I've already asked this, but what is the flattest version of these so far?

I'm trying to replace my old PFN Pro Leopards.

I have 2 identical FR Z that have a bit of shoulder but are otherwise flat. Found them at a shop but they had other FR Z in stock that were domey. If you're ordering online it's probably a crap shoot. The Big Z that I have felt up were all fairly domey.

Latest posts