• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Stuffing too many discs in bag harmful?

46YearOldSlinger

Double Eagle Member
Lately I've noticed that some of my discs are losing dome and in some cases even getting puddle topped. I'm pretty sure this is due to stuffing too many discs into a tight bag (C14 in my case). The discs are stuffed in there pretty tight and spend a lot of time in hot car. So was just curious...

1. Do you guys agree that stuffing discs into a bag too tightly in combination with heat can cause discs to lose dome/puddle top?
2. If this happens to a disc is there a way to restore it to it's original shape?

Thanks!

1) YES. Because I've done it. Also in a c14. Respect the small capacity!
2) Depends on how bad and how long its been like that. If you take it out of the bag and let it sit it MAY regain its shape, it may not.

Are you noticing a difference in the way the puddled discs are flying? If not, don't sweat it.

Discs are going to naturally become more overstable in the summer heat and more understable in the cooler months, but if you notice that their shape is affecting their flight then you might have a problem; if the puddle isn't affecting your game then don't sweat it.

Personally, I'm a "pseudo-stuffer" myself -- I have a DD Ranger bag -- because I like the choices many discs offer, but if I saw that my proclivity for variety was ruining my discs I'd back it off. But nobody can tell you if it's a problem except you.

I would start by recommending you not store your bag in a hot car, and not just for the possibility of damaging your discs. I know guys that have had their bags stolen, and it's pretty devastating to them. I know it would be to me, too. I have seen threads here or somewhere talking about discs getting warped from being left in hot cars.

I can't offer any knowledge as to damage caused by over-stuffing your bag, though. Maybe the combination of the two?

Try putting the disc upside down in a shallow pan and pour scalding hot water until it is submerged. Then place another smaller weighted pot (small enough to not rest on the rim but on the flight plate) on top of the disc and leave it for a while. I had a careless mailman stuff a disc i ordered online into a too small mailbox leaving the disc tacoed. Did this a couple times and brought it back to its original shape. It may work for you too.

Are you noticing a difference in the way the puddled discs are flying? If not, don't sweat it.

Discs are going to naturally become more overstable in the summer heat and more understable in the cooler months, but if you notice that their shape is affecting their flight then you might have a problem; if the puddle isn't affecting your game then don't sweat it.

Personally, I'm a "pseudo-stuffer" myself -- I have a DD Ranger bag -- because I like the choices many discs offer, but if I saw that my proclivity for variety was ruining my discs I'd back it off. But nobody can tell you if it's a problem except you.
Even if the "puddle topped" discs don't fly much different there will still be a major difference in feel of the disc in your hand. (And potential glide)

Also in regards to discs in summer/winter I believe the opposite is true, but I could be wrong.

On topic :) I have a c14 and I put 10 discs in the main, I've really slimmed down and trust my discs selection more now than before. But I wouldn't over stuff your bag, and I'd think if you took out one disc (preferably a mid or putter) you'd free the space to not have that issue.

I wouldn't think so. Given that the dome fits inside the bottom of the next disc in the bag, I don't see how it would flatten, (Except maybe the one with the dome against the bag) or if all the discs are premium plastic and new, there might be a suction between them; expand and contract.

Yes, you can put the dome back in pretty easily.
Place an old disc upside down on a counter, then place the disc you want to re-dome face down on top of it. Fill it with boiling water and let it cool. Your dome should be back.

The only discs that I would avoid the hot water treatment is KC-Pro type plastic, they tend to kind of wrinkle.

Have a fluid Judge that ends up looking like a Yeti after a while, I have no idea why and I pop the top back with no problems. On a side note, I have a Champion Roc3 that gets a dome after awhile and I flatten it using hot water too.

Thanks for all of the replies. A few comments below.
1. I can definitely tell that the discs getting puddle topped lose some stability
2. Great info on restoring discs - thanks!
3. Interesting that that fluid judge ends up looking like a Yeti. My most puddle topped disc is a Frost Claymore which is the same plastic. Coincidence? Hmmm.....
4. I haven't been putting all of my discs in my bag facing the same direction. I will from now on. The post above made this click for me - makes sense.

Even if the "puddle topped" discs don't fly much different there will still be a major difference in feel of the disc in your hand. (And potential glide)

Also in regards to discs in summer/winter I believe the opposite is true, but I could be wrong.

On topic :) I have a c14 and I put 10 discs in the main, I've really slimmed down and trust my discs selection more now than before. But I wouldn't over stuff your bag, and I'd think if you took out one disc (preferably a mid or putter) you'd free the space to not have that issue.

IDisc is right on this. Colder air is more dense. This effectively slows the disc down causing it to fly more overstable. Ever notice how you flip everything over on the first warm day of spring? Warmer air is less dense, your discs will fly faster and less stable.

I almost exclusively throw flat molds, so I never have this issue lol.

I didnt know you switched your bag over to MVP discs. Your brother use that anode and you got jealous?:p

Seems like not having a full bag could be worse where the discs sit sideways. I have a extra bag stocked tight without any problems sitting out in a garage.

I didnt know you switched your bag over to MVP discs. Your brother use that anode and you got jealous?.

My brother is actually out of commission for awhile, he incurred 4th degree burns on both legs, but I have been letting a few people use it, all have dug it, a few wanted to keep it. I have given it some tosses too, does the same things a beaten Champ or Star Aviar does, if it were max weight I could see myself falling for it. And I do bust out a Neutron Shock quite often, I rotate it with my Firebirds, Predators, Tsunamis, and my trusty XXX. I have been known to bag a Neutron Tangent every so often on calm days as well.

I lost my Neutron Resistor, but that thing was more or less a spiritual successor to my old Elite Z Reapers. I use an Opto Trident and Champion Banshee for that slot now.

Lately I've noticed that some of my discs are losing dome and in some cases even getting puddle topped. I'm pretty sure this is due to stuffing too many discs into a tight bag (C14 in my case). The discs are stuffed in there pretty tight and spend a lot of time in hot car. So was just curious...

1. Do you guys agree that stuffing discs into a bag too tightly in combination with heat can cause discs to lose dome/puddle top?
2. If this happens to a disc is there a way to restore it to it's original shape?

Thanks!

Long term solution is maybe to carry a bigger bag, or fewer discs?:thmbup:

IDisc is right on this. Colder air is more dense. This effectively slows the disc down causing it to fly more overstable. Ever notice how you flip everything over on the first warm day of spring? Warmer air is less dense, your discs will fly faster and less stable.

Although I don't disagree on the density statement, the bolded is, IMO based on other more important factors to that first warm spring round syndrome such as:

1 - I can actually throw w/o worrying about falling over on the ice.
2 - I have shed several layers.