• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

SUPERWORLDS

I'm of the mind that Worlds (and frankly other large events) started losing the "feel" as they moved to more of a tee time format. Sure, there's the host hotel and side events and all that for the reunion/party feel, but not everyone is necessarily game to participate in all that. If one is traveling with family for the week, after the rounds are done they're more likely spending time with them than attending a side event like a flymart or a beer tasting or what have you. But when one is at the course, it's all about the disc family.

And with tee times, I find there's less of a community feel. You show up 45-60 minutes before your time, warm up, do a little socializing, then you play your round. Maybe you hang out a little bit afterward to chat with people or watch other groups finish, but odds are they're the same folks you saw before your round or that you played with during the round. There's rarely an opportunity where everyone is on site at the same time. At least with shotgun starts, everyone's at the course to start the round, everyone's hanging out in the same place during the break, and everyone's in the same place waiting around for awards at the end.

Not that I think big events need to go back to shotgun starts and therefore shorter courses. I think everyone needs to recognize that choices have consequences. We can't have the big competitive event feel and the party/reunion feel in the same event anymore. One is going to be prioritized over the other simply based on the format chosen.

Worlds remains many things, to many people. A championship and a convention and lots more.

There doesn't seem much impetus to make it just a championship, with only the players who have a realistic shot at winning, and have earned that shot, competing.

Worlds remains many things, to many people. A championship and a convention and lots more.

There doesn't seem much impetus to make it just a championship, with only the players who have a realistic shot at winning, and have earned that shot, competing.

And thus, perhaps, just one more reason why this sport will never be taken as seriously as some would like others to take it.

Just FYI, the PDGA BOD voted last year to allow combined bids again. The PDGA major bid packages reflect this. Since there are four Worlds events now there are various combinations (Pro and Juniors, Pro and Ams, etc). If memory serves me right there were two combined bids last year and there is at least one combined bid for 2021 and I am sure there is another.