• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

2023 Reviewer of the Year

wellsbranch250

Double Eagle Member
Diamond level trusted reviewer
Premium Member
I searched the DGCR forum and could not find anything related to this topic, whether this year or any past years. Anyways, if there were some sort of recognition for the person that contributes the most review content by year, My early vote or guess for this year, would be HyooMac. I think he's projecting to be at around 100 reviews, again. :eek: All of which provide valuable insight to travelers like me to wide swath of the northeast, mid-Atlantic and beyond. I could see Surge and DFrah making a run at it as well. As with the past 2 years, my personal goal is to write 52 of them, and ill update another 20 or so that I replay. I hope I'm nowhere near the top. Seems like there should be a DGCR disc that comes with finishing in the top spot for providing the most site content.

2023 review leaders (not an all-inclusive list)
HyooMac - 16 reviews
Surge5 - 10 reviews
DiscGolfCraig - 9 reviews
wellsbranch250 - 9 reviews
DFrah - 8 reviews
adlacro - 7 reviews
Cerealman - 5 reviews
Pmay5 - 5 reviews
Ryal - 4 reviews
Sisyphus - 4 reviews
BogeyNoMore - 4 reviews
Its Rudy - 4 reviews

I don't play as much in the winter months as
I used to lol.

I might pump out a few reviews in the next week or so if I get bored, but rehab and doing recommended/prescribed exercises outside of rehab are obviously top priority. Will also try to ease back into work next week.

I appreciate the shout out, but I haven't been prolific enough to be in the conversation.

I searched the DGCR forum and could not find anything related to this topic, whether this year or any past years. Anyways, if there were some sort of recognition for the person that contributes the most review content by year, My early vote or guess for this year, would be HyooMac. I think he's projecting to be at around 100 reviews, again. :eek: All of which provide valuable insight to travelers like me to wide swath of the northeast, mid-Atlantic and beyond. I could see Surge and DFrah making a run at it as well. As with the past 2 years, my personal goal is to write 52 of them, and ill update another 20 or so that I replay. I hope I'm nowhere near the top. Seems like there should be a DGCR disc that comes with finishing in the top spot for providing the most site content.

2023 review leaders (not an all-inclusive list)
HyooMac - 16 reviews
Surge5 - 10 reviews
DiscGolfCraig - 9 reviews
wellsbranch250 - 9 reviews
DFrah - 8 reviews
adlacro - 7 reviews
Cerealman - 5 reviews
Pmay5 - 5 reviews
Ryal - 4 reviews
Sisyphus - 4 reviews
BogeyNoMore - 4 reviews
Its Rudy - 4 reviews

Thanks for the recognition. It will help keep me going during this Sisyphean quest for Diamond (currently stalled below 200 uniques).

Sadly, with cutting back my work travel and running out of reachable courses in day trips, I don't expect to keep up the pace. I've been supplementing new reviews with updates, as I've been replaying more courses lately.

I notice and appreciate every single upvote and never get tired of seeing you "frequent voters." I always try to return the favor - there are some REALLY good writers/reviewers on this site.

I hope the recent forum discussions/controversies about the site are just a reflection of a seasonal lull in playing, bagging (and reviewing), and not an indicator that the place is dying out. It still fills a unique spot in disc golf (excellent reviews plus lots of conversation). I do wish there was a way to comment on reviews, to show appreciation, reinforce points, explain different experiences, etc. But I worry that just becomes as useless as comment threads on YT videos.

The place is changing - but everything is ALWAYS changing, and maybe that's not so bad.

But I'll keep plugging away - until I make Diamond, lose interest, or run out of courses!

-Hugh

Ah, thanks! Special thanks to my wife for letting me take a day and knock out all 7 Topeka courses.

Unfortunately once I finish this last trip's reviews I dont have a whole lot of free course bagging time (having a 9-month old will do that to ya). I'll clean up my few remaining courses near KC over the year but after that I'll probably be spinning my wheels for a bit.

And those with mighty backlogs could easily outpace me, too... but with their RIP courses they'll never have a 100% reviewed rate like me! Muahahaha!

Good thing I never played old Swope.

Looking into the top reviewers in terms of review number over the years sounds like a fun procrastination project to look into. It would be interesting to see how the different lists evolve from year to year, as there's a nice mix of top reviewers in terms of when they started contributing to the site and what years they were/have been most active.

Also, shout out to those folks who update reviews with new info over time as well. It's appreciated!

Last edited:
Thanks for the mention, humbled by the company I keep. Idk if I'll ever do reviews outside my immediate 2/3h area, I like to visit or think I will visit a course multiple times in my life to digest it and render a final verdict. Plus if I ever travel just for DG, I think I will only hit the top area courses provided by fellow reviewers here, so....

As a side note, winter is my absolute favorite time to play here in the NE! Frozen ground (no mud), a lot less scrounging, and playing in a T-shirt down to -15f (if no wind)! Beats the spring muck and summer heat anytime imo.

Interesting thread wellsbranch and thanks for the vote of confidence! :D I do not see myself getting past 50-60 reviews this year, and like you said I hope that isn't enough to land on the podium! 50-60 would get me to 200 courses played, and also be about what I was able to achieve in 2022.

But on the flip side, I have already exceeded my plans for these first 70 days or so of 2023. So we'll see how things play out. ;)

I hope the recent forum discussions/controversies about the site are just a reflection of a seasonal lull in playing, bagging (and reviewing), and not an indicator that the place is dying out. It still fills a unique spot in disc golf (excellent reviews plus lots of conversation). I do wish there was a way to comment on reviews, to show appreciation, reinforce points, explain different experiences, etc. But I worry that just becomes as useless as comment threads on YT videos.

Just seasonal for me! Using Michigan winter to check some other stuff off my to-do list.

Looking into the top reviewers in terms of review number over the years sounds like a fun procrastination project to look into. It would be interesting to see how the different lists evolve from year to year, as there's a nice mix of top reviewers in terms of when they started contributing to the site and what years they were/have been most active.

Also, shout out to those folks who update reviews with new info over time as well. It's appreciated!

In 2018, when I wrote my most reviews in a year, (149), I looked to see how it compared to yearly review totals for Valk and Mashnut, and man did they kill it on a handful of years. they both have eclipsed 100 reviews in a year several times. mashnut even went over 200 reviews in a year once.

Based on the responses to this thread, my new guess is DFrah. I just looked at his bagger map and he's less than 3 hours from the Chicago metro... and hasn't played one course that way yet. I think he's being modest to lurer us into believing he's only going to play 50 courses. Then he'll sweep down to Chi-town and BAM! 45 new reviews over a 3 day weekend. :D

In 2018, when I wrote my most reviews in a year, (149), I looked to see how it compared to yearly review totals for Valk and Mashnut, and man did they kill it on a handful of years. they both have eclipsed 100 reviews in a year several times. mashnut even went over 200 reviews in a year once.

Based on the responses to this thread, my new guess is DFrah. I just looked at his bagger map and he's less than 3 hours from the Chicago metro... and hasn't played one course that way yet. I think he's being modest to lurer us into believing he's only going to play 50 courses. Then he'll sweep down to Chi-town and BAM! 45 new reviews over a 3 day weekend. :D

I counted up reviews for Valk, Mash, and yourself, so after I get past harr0410 and Craig I feel like rest will feel like 10 minutes worth of time in comparison.

I counted up reviews for Valk, Mash, and yourself, so after I get past harr0410 and Craig I feel like rest will feel like 10 minutes worth of time in comparison.

Actual image of Tyler J counting yearly reviews from the most prolific writers of all DGCR:

iu

Hahah! I think I'm still spoiled though because 3 hours still sounds like a long way to go just to play a new course. :eek:

Hitting some new courses south and east of me is definitely in the plans for this year. There are still a handful within an hour drive I think. But really I'm more focused on spreading out my map a bit. On January 1 I was at 8 states played. So far this year I hit one course each in Vermont and Colorado to get up to 10. By the end of April I think I will be at 13-14 - but certainly not a large sample of courses in those new states either. Probably only 1-2 in each.

Still have to decide on where to go for my big solo bagging trip this year. I think I am probably going to the UP again, but that will not yield many more new reviews. So I might have to work during some of that so that I can still take another trip somewhere else. :)

What the hell? I don't get any love on here? I've written 2 this year, and it's somehow still snowing outside. :p

I am going to Charlotte and vicinity in a couple weeks. Picking Olorin's brain while at Hornet's Nest and Nevin.

I'm further than Dfrah from Chicago but I'll be chiseling away at that mass of courses again in June. Should be well over half played there by then. And that's only if I can get Tyler to stop pouring over stats long enough to play a round or 2 in STL before that :D

Davenport IA for Camden's Revenge part III.

Denver in September for a week...

:|

I see how it is. :cool:

What the hell? I don't get any love on here? I've written 2 this year, and it's somehow still snowing outside. :p

I am going to Charlotte and vicinity in a couple weeks. Picking Olorin's brain while at Hornet's Nest and Nevin.

I'm further than Dfrah from Chicago but I'll be chiseling away at that mass of courses again in June. Should be well over half played there by then. And that's only if I can get Tyler to stop pouring over stats long enough to play a round or 2 in STL before that :D

For real. You're the #1 seed that somehow still seems to be flying under the radar. ;)

you and cerealman both could run away with it. Darkhorse candidates :)

I'll have a one month old at that point but let me know when you're going to be around and I'll try to get a round in!

Latest posts