• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

2023 Reviewer of the Year

That's currently the highest number I have found in 2007, and you also currently have the 6th highest number I have found for 2023. No one else is on both of those tentative lists.

Nevermind, just counted Jaymon1's 2007 reviews, which is another example of a trend I'm noticing where reviewers in the first few years of the site would post a large number of reviews in one day, which seems much less common now. Jaymon posted around 40 reviews between September 10th and 12th of 2007, and that really isn't much of an outlier compared to others, lol.

When my daytrip glass hit empty, weekend tripper was born. It never runs dry :D

Does it though? Tell that to that big obnoxious lake to the east of me. :D

I'm going to have to go a whole different route this next trip. Not bringing my laptop, so I'm going to have to write up reviews/thoughts on whatever courses I'll want to review in a notebook. Never done that before.

P.S. Give us northerners, er...midwesterners, a chance to catch up. It's been a rough winter ;)

the newbies are spoiled knowing how many uniques y'all have. back in our day, you couldn't see who voted on your reviews at all so you had no idea

We also had more reviews pouring in. Your review might get bumped off the first page within a couple hours. That's when some people became aware that posting reviews on Monday morning meant it would get lost in the shuffle.

That's when some people became aware that posting reviews on Monday morning meant it would get lost in the shuffle.
Don't give away trade secrets!
We had to figure that out for ourselves. ;)

I totally remember my reviews getting bumped of the front page. Now they stay up there seemingly forever.

Does it though? Tell that to that big obnoxious lake to the east of me. :D

I'm going to have to go a whole different route this next trip. Not bringing my laptop, so I'm going to have to write up reviews/thoughts on whatever courses I'll want to review in a notebook. Never done that before.

P.S. Give us northerners, er...midwesterners, a chance to catch up. It's been a rough winter ;)

There are a couple boats to traverse that water and a few courses to bag up and 'round or down and dirty. :hfive: That obnoxious water is to the West of me.....I got another couple to the easy. :\

Just finished a short trip to Maryland to see family.

Bagged eight new courses in five different states.

* Carden Farm Park in Clinton, TN
* Warriors Path State Park - Cliffside in Kingsport, TN
* The Woodshed in Paw Paw, WV
* Whippin' Post in Paw Paw, WV
* Rhodes Grove DGC in Chambersburg, PA
* Woodsboro Regional Park in Woodsboro, MD
* Heritage Farm Park in Walkersville, MD
* Walrond Park in Hollins (Roanoke), VA

New reviews are coming soon. :)

Just finished a short trip to Maryland to see family.

Bagged eight new courses in five different states.

. . .

New reviews are coming soon. :)

Nice bagging, and I look forward to your reviews. Next time you are out this way I would suggest Freedom Center - Clark's Run and Patapsco Valley.

And hey, Woodsboro is one of my locals - I just played there this afternoon. :)

I'll second Monocacy's thoughts.
Really enjoyed Patapsco (even tough my discs seemed to be on strike o:) as well as Clark's Run.

We also had more reviews pouring in. Your review might get bumped off the first page within a couple hours. That's when some people became aware that posting reviews on Monday morning meant it would get lost in the shuffle.

haha, def learned that the hard way. :D

Now, I think the reverse is true: you can post first thing on Mondays knowing it'll be up there half the week, and people are getting back to work from the weekend and logging in....

It seems to me lately that my reviews have been expiring off the front page rather than being bumped off.

An obvious reason is that it's off season in the Northern Hemisphere, with fewer new reviews being posted.

But -a related phenomenon- given how slowly I've been gathering unique votes, I wonder if the overall trend for traffic is down (beyond seasonal fluctuation).

On the other hand, the forums appear to be pretty active. But, like there's a pool of "regular voters" there might just be a pool of "regular posters." And these conversation topics are always springing up, whereas new courses aren't.

So is this a case where a review site with forums is morphing into a forum site with reviews? And maybe this has always been a tension, or has always been moving this way - I've only been around the place for a few years.

I'll admit I'm biased, but I don't understand why users read reviews and don't vote on them (or at least those that are Helpful or Not Helpful). I especially don't understand how people who WRITE reviews don't vote on others. Maybe voting is just an non-obvious feature, especially to those who use uDisc where you rate a course, write a sentence or two, and move on.

Final part of this meandering rant (sorry): new courses are much slower to appear here than on uDisc. My practice is to use uDisc to find courses, DGCR to check out if any reviews exist, and to go bag 'em. I might then put them on DGCR with a review. But even then, those newer courses are very slow to pick up additional plays or reviews.

All this makes me wonder if, despite the higher quality of DGCR, the disc golf world has simply moved on - to a better source for finding courses, and then sticking with that source for ratings, reviews, score tracking and statistics.

I can argue forever that DGCR provides better reviews and more accurate courses ratings. But maybe I'm talking to a diminishing crowd? Maybe there are just a few of us left at the bar as closing time nears.

Thanks for the recognition. It will help keep me going during this Sisyphean quest for Diamond (currently stalled below 200 uniques).

Sadly, with cutting back my work travel and running out of reachable courses in day trips, I don't expect to keep up the pace. I've been supplementing new reviews with updates, as I've been replaying more courses lately.

I notice and appreciate every single upvote and never get tired of seeing you "frequent voters." I always try to return the favor - there are some REALLY good writers/reviewers on this site.

I hope the recent forum discussions/controversies about the site are just a reflection of a seasonal lull in playing, bagging (and reviewing), and not an indicator that the place is dying out. It still fills a unique spot in disc golf (excellent reviews plus lots of conversation). I do wish there was a way to comment on reviews, to show appreciation, reinforce points, explain different experiences, etc. But I worry that just becomes as useless as comment threads on YT videos.

The place is changing - but everything is ALWAYS changing, and maybe that's not so bad.

But I'll keep plugging away - until I make Diamond, lose interest, or run out of courses!

-Hugh

You have to move when you run out of courses to play within a reasonable driving distance.