• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Switch Hitting

I'm mostly attracted to men so I'm not much of a switch hitter...

I'm sort of ambidextrous in real life, but I just haven't worked on my form enough with my off hand to use if very much. I am pretty accurate putting inside of 20' with my off hand though, and approaches under 100' I can do pretty well too.

I was thinking about this the other day and was going to search for it and if I didn't find anything post up.

I started out throwing RHBH but never could get it like I wanted so I went to RHFH which I like alot better and can pull off what I want. I thought about trying some offhanded throws when it warms up just to see if I can do it. I'm highly doubting I can though.

I was thinking about this the other day and was going to search for it and if I didn't find anything post up.

I started out throwing RHBH but never could get it like I wanted so I went to RHFH which I like alot better and can pull off what I want. I thought about trying some offhanded throws when it warms up just to see if I can do it. I'm highly doubting I can though.

It's OK to go through skill plateaus. When I played Ultimate, I started (like most do) with an OK backhand from playing on the beach. Then when I played organized IM for awhile, my forehand got pretty good, because everyone forces forehand at lower level Ultimate. Then after my forehand was strong, I worked on my backhand and it became my best, most accurate throw.

I would recommend that you try to do something similar...get good at one or both, and then work on the other. It's really nice to have a workable backhand and a workable forehand with the same hand, because they fade in opposite directions. Also, it lets you practice stretching to get around obstacles in both directions. If you switch hit, you won't have those advantages, you'll just have two different mechanics that do the same thing.

Cubby has said on DGM that he does this because he doesn't have a forehand. IMO, develop a forehand before you bother learning to do the same shots with both hands.

I would argue that the physical benifits of playing with both hands shouldn't. Be ignored. Especially if your like me and getting a little long in the tooth. Throwing disc is so back intensive that over developing one side while ignoring the other is asking for problems.
When I started last spring I began splitting my driving and mid range practice time between both hands. Mainly because I was (still am) hopless with a forehand while I was equally bad backhanded right or left handed. I'm glad I put in the time it's really starting to pay off. There's something incredibly satisfying in gaining sucess with your (once) off hand.

I have a friend who throws forehand and backhand with both arms. He learned to use his left arm when he broke his right one.

I write, eat, and play pool left handed. Disc golf, raquetball, and baseball are right hand only.

I recently started throwing lefty, and I am right handed. There's a really short course close to where I live that my friends enjoy playing at, and the more challenging courses are further away. I've shot a 40 on this course so I got fed up with playing right handed because it's almost impossible to shoot better than a 40 playing with friends who aren't serious at all.

Anyway, I was wondering if anyone has a suggestion for reducing OAT with your off hand OR if anyone had a suggestion for reducing OAT after breaking your wrist. I broke my left wrist a while back, and it's just odd for my muscles to function well over there (probably also because I hadn't developed a left-handed throw before I broke that wrist). Any suggestions are appreciated.

I'm wanting to start learning to throw LHBH, so hopefully mine will get better.

BENFTS has several videos in the thread of "you and your local course" or whatever, and he has a SICK throw with both hands.

there's only one thing i can do left-handed, and it has nothing to do with disc golf.

that being said, there's a local old-timer around these parts who at least putts with his off hand and seems to be rather good at it. another buddy of mine (natural lefty) has a much better shot with his right than he thinks.

I am seriously considering trying to learn to throw left handed. My only problem for now is that my brain is telling me that it won't go well at all. The only thing I have ever done (and still do) left handed is shoot pool, and that is actually because I could control my right hand better as a bridge when I was younger.

I throw RHBH, but can only putt lefty... not sure why but it feels more comfortable for some reason. Can't throw a drive lefty worth squat though!:confused:

aj

so has anyone broken a wrist and then had problems throwing when they came back?

I throw LHFH, LHBH, RHBH.

My RHBH is good for about 200' on a good day but I mostly use righty shots for big hyzers to get out of trouble when you can't straddle out enough for a flick.

Can't putt right handed...always a big rainbow hyzer.

Latest posts