• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Taking breaks

KRATC

Eagle Member
Hi guys,

I was just wondering how you preformed after taking breaks from playing. Obviously, if you play everyday then cut back to only a few times a week, you see some change in your game. This is usually positive but people are different and whatnot. Anyways, I have been unable to play for the last two weeks and was just wondering how to use this to my advantage (i.e. fixing specific problems associated with my form).

KRATC
(Kessel Running at the Chains)

After not playing a round for 2 full weeks due to a new job, I started the biggest tournament I have ever played in. Rusty the first round but improved quickly and ended up placing in Adv. It is nice to have sort of a fresh start and let muscle memory take over. Don't think to much at first about poor shots because they will happen.

Thanks! I am certainly more excited to get out and have some field practice. I can't wait to just get out and throw and have some fun with it.

I have only played a hand full of times the past 2 months because of a new job. Overall I've seen a lot of improvement. Everywhere but inside the circle, purely a confidence issue.

I'm pretty much the opposite of those above me. I like to play everyday. If I miss a few days I see a decline in my game. The same goes with the other sports I play.

If I miss a couple days I really have to make sure I stretch really well. I'm moving tomorrow though and I'll have a 9 hole course 3 blocks away. So hopefully my short game will get better.

Hmmmm....
So for me after I've played consecutively, more then a week of solid playing then take a two to three day break, that I play better then if I were to keep in playing in that consecutive mode.
However... vise-verse I'd play much worse. Meaning having not played that much then all the sudden playing consecutively would hinder my score. To each their own though.

I have been playing about 4-6 times a week for the past three months, and have seena big improvement in distance, accuracy, and in stamina to play 3-5 courses per day.

There is an Ace Race that I am hopefully going to on the 22nd. I really hope to score well and have fun, so I am going to try and play twice a week to shake the rust off and get back into the swing of things. Do you see better results if you amp up the practice and field work about a week before a tournament and take a day off immediately before a tourney?

When I'm playing bad it seems to help me when I take a few days away from the game. I will still practice my putting but that's because my putting usually takes a step backwards when I take a little break. When I'm playing well you have to drag me off the course.

Breaks are good, but I find my putting and approach game are a little off if I haven't played in a while. The finesse parts of golf seem to be the slowest to come back.

Many times if I take a break for a couple of weeks, I find that any bad habits I may have recently developed seem to be forgotten in terms of muscle memory.

My mental game also seems a lot fresher, mainly because I'm happy to be out throwing discs again.

YMMV

I get rusty after as little as a week off. If I'm not playing regularly, I make a point to try to get some good field work in before playing competitively again.

I do go into hibernation in the winter. I hate playing in snow, so I just pack up the discs once the ground is covered. It gives me time to clear my head, get the mental game back on track, and generally recharge. Once the spring thaw hits, I feel refreshed and excited to throw again.

I work offshore in the Gulf of Mexico so I am forced to quit playing four to five weeks at a time. I find that after a few weeks off I play quite well my first round after being gone. I do notice bigger improvement after playing a lot when I'm home and then take my break for work reason and then start plaing again.

My driving is always better after a break but my putting and approaches are off.
I'm just the opposite... My drives suffer after a break but my approaches and putts are like I never took a break.

And OP, like the star wars reference in your screen name

There is an Ace Race that I am hopefully going to on the 22nd. I really hope to score well and have fun, so I am going to try and play twice a week to shake the rust off and get back into the swing of things. Do you see better results if you amp up the practice and field work about a week before a tournament and take a day off immediately before a tourney?

there is no point is practicing for an ace race.

I find that playing every day gets my accuracy very well tuned, but the D deminishes daily. Breaks of 2 days or more usually refreshes me enough to get my max D, but accuracy and putting usually fall off a bit. I think this is the part that keeps alot of people who are so close to becoming pro caliber from being successful. It's just all about finding the medium and running with it. Its just so hard sometimes when you are jonesing to play every day

I wasn't nesecarily practicing for the Ace Race, just tourneys in general. The Ace Race is just for fun. That being said, I feel like I will do better if I am confident => more practice time.

Breaks are good, but I find my putting and approach game are a little off if I haven't played in a while. The finesse parts of golf seem to be the slowest to come back.

This. I hate it when I don't get at least a couple rounds a week in, and if I know I can't get to a course I bike to a nearby field and throw a few dozen drives.