• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Talking while on the tee pad....

Talking while throwing

• It bothers me when peolple talk when I thow

Votes: 74 44.6%
  • I don't care if people talk while I throw

Votes: 82 49.4%
  • I talk when people throw

Votes: 3 1.8%
  • I don't play with people who talk when I throw

Votes: 7 4.2%

• Total voters
I guess for me it is the lack of respect. I don't think it should be that hard to pay attention and shut it for a few seconds while you buddy throws.
I am not sure why it bugs me as much as it does, but it does....it bugs a couple of my buddies so much that they won't play with the talkers. I am not to that point....I just want to play.

I used to play basketball and that was a huge part of the game honestly trying to throw your opponent off with crazy hands and yelling... Mostly just made us all look crazy and didn't impact the good players only the ones who needed an excuse, because they sucked. I'd love to have a crowd cheering and roaring while going up to tee- it boosts your confidence and gets the mind right vs silent thoughts doubting yourself in your own head. It would be great to see the players feed off the crowd actually.

The only time I really got bugged was when this guy would BRAY like a DONKEY. That was how his laughter sounded, seriously!

We finally woud up stuffing him into a burlap bag and throwing him into a pit of molten lava.

Still hear that sound in my dreams occasionally, and it still throws my drive off :D

I hate when ppl talk when im on the pad. Had it happen too many times in a tourney. It draws just enough of my focus that it can hurt my shot.

I dont know why some ppl have a hard time keeping quiet for 20 seconds. Dumbazzez

my friends and I are out at the disc golf course to have fun, so none of us care if its an actual conversation, though putting is a different beast in my own honest opinion. I need complete silence while putting and same with my friends. so yes, i talk while others tee off unless someone asks otherwise.

When putting is when it bothers me most. I concentrate most on putting and a do not like people talking while I putt. I don't mind it when I'm on the tee that much.

What kind of basketball were you playing? :confused:
Maybe he meant BASEketball.

th_baseketball.jpg

Maybe if you guys would start throwing good looking shots, folks would be compelled to shut up and watch ;)

The only time it buggs me is when it really quiet and then some some says something right as Im beginning my pull. If the talking is constent I can block it out.

Normal talking doesn't bother me at all when I'm throwing. I try to be respectful of other players, but especially when I'm out for a casual round I don't take myself nearly seriously enough to need silence for every shot.

my friends and I are out at the disc golf course to have fun, so none of us care if its an actual conversation, though putting is a different beast in my own honest opinion. I need complete silence while putting and same with my friends. so yes, i talk while others tee off unless someone asks otherwise.

I agree with the fun part for sure, I don't play tournaments (yet) so it's not a huge deal.

But like you said, you won't talk if it is requested.....that is respect.

I get it. You made it sound as if it was part of the game the players used against the other players. BASEketball style (thanks zenny). Fans are a whole different area of course.

I dont get how people are so easily distracted.. specially in some events etc and cars go by or a noise and they get all flustered... Its not like crowds are silent during free throws in basketball or field goals in football. I understand the respect part but honestly, take your shot-focus and don't let such little $%^&* bother you.. If one peep or noise throws your whole shot off then you really need to practice more. The best is a course near an airport with planes taking off constantly and if you don't let it bother you it won't-- just becomes background noise.
Background noises are background noises. Over time we get used to them. People who start talking right near you as you're trying to concentrate is another matter. That stark shrill noise that doesn't blend into the background at precisely the wrong moment is what causes problems.

The free throw analogy is actually a good one to examine. If you've got thousands of people being consistently loud as someone is attempting a free throw, they're not going to psych out the shooter out that much, particularly if he's had experience with that situation before. If they were on the other hand mostly quiet, and a few of them yelled precisely as he shot, that might actually contribute more to the player missing.

Background noises are background noises. Over time we get used to them. People who start talking right near you as you're trying to concentrate is another matter. That stark shrill noise that doesn't blend into the background at precisely the wrong moment is what causes problems.

The free throw analogy is actually a good one to examine. If you've got thousands of people being consistently loud as someone is attempting a free throw, they're not going to psych out the shooter out that much, particularly if he's had experience with that situation before. If they were on the other hand mostly quiet, and a few of them yelled precisely as he shot, that might actually contribute more to the player missing.

^^^ That's what I'm talking about.

Thoughts on people in your group talking while you are on the tee pad, or anytime you are throwing for that matter.

I have a couple of people that I play with that just can't seem to keep their mouth shut while you are throwing. When asked to keep quite they always ask why I am taking it so serious (I am not that serious about my game) we are just here to have fun, and that it doesn't bother them when they are throwing. That's because NO ONE is talking when you are throwing.

I understand that there are times this will happen, especially with a large group. I also understand there are sounds that you can't avoid (traffic, large crowds, birds ect.).

I find it to be a lack of respect, if they wanted me to do jumping jacks while they throw because it helps them out, I would do it.
But these same people are silent when they are watching a tournament and the pros are throwing.
I just don't get why it is so hard to keep quiet for 10-15 seconds.

Let me preface this by saying I am not one of those types who has to have absolute silence when I'm on the tee pad. Once, I had a gentlemen stop his drive because I used my lighter!! I do believe in the courtesy rules and will do my best to not distract someone when it's their turn. I expect the same in return...it's a courtesy!!
I did see folks mention other sports (basketball in particular) where distractions are encouraged. Golf and Tennis are the 2 sports that I know of to incorporate the courtesy rules. There are repercussions to breaking courtesy - first time is a warning and the second time is a stroke. I very rarely enforce this during casual play - it would have to be an outrageous infraction to even consider a penalty for casual play. During a tourney, you can bet the house that a warning will be given - it's part of the rules of the game!!

A conversation would not bother while I'm driving or putting. If someone is trying to throw me off, they would have more success while I'm on the teebox. IMO, putting is a much simpler task with less variables.

I don't like when people talk but I know it is inevitable. What I really hate is when it is silent and then they decide right before I release to say something. THAT drives me up the wall along with people who smoke cigs by the tee pad.

Latest posts