• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Talking while on the tee pad....

Talking while throwing

• It bothers me when peolple talk when I thow

Votes: 74 44.6%
  • I don't care if people talk while I throw

Votes: 82 49.4%
  • I talk when people throw

Votes: 3 1.8%
  • I don't play with people who talk when I throw

Votes: 7 4.2%

• Total voters

Cnote

Par Member
Thoughts on people in your group talking while you are on the tee pad, or anytime you are throwing for that matter.

I have a couple of people that I play with that just can't seem to keep their mouth shut while you are throwing. When asked to keep quite they always ask why I am taking it so serious (I am not that serious about my game) we are just here to have fun, and that it doesn't bother them when they are throwing. That's because NO ONE is talking when you are throwing.

I understand that there are times this will happen, especially with a large group. I also understand there are sounds that you can't avoid (traffic, large crowds, birds ect.).

I find it to be a lack of respect, if they wanted me to do jumping jacks while they throw because it helps them out, I would do it.
But these same people are silent when they are watching a tournament and the pros are throwing.
I just don't get why it is so hard to keep quiet for 10-15 seconds.

it is a lack of respect.

the only way to get them to change is to be a d**k and return the favor to them, as obnoxiously as possible, every time they throw. maybe start carrying an air horn in your bag.

I don't mind talking while I'm throwing personally, but if it bothers you you should politely ask them to stop.

Also a tournament is a different setting due to the fact that their are prizes at stake :p

Just my opinion though

I'm quiet for other people while their throwing but it honestly doesn't bother me when/if people talk while i'm up. I'm wait to laid back and tune that stuff way out. I can't let small stuff like that bother me

I guess I don't really care, especially in casual rounds. In tournament rounds I like for there to be quiet. Not so much because talking bothers me, but because I feel everyone in the group should be watching every throw out of respect and to ensure that rules are being followed properly. When there's chatter in the background, you know that those players are not paying attention to what's going on.

I try to practice without eliminating distractions. (Not asking people to be quiet, not asking people to get out of my peripheral, etc) I feel if something happens in a tournament I won't be affected as much.

i would prefer them not talk but it doesnt really bother me.. but i always do my best to keep my mouth shut while others are throwing.. on or off teepad

Depends on the volume of the talking and whether its a tournament or not. In casual play, I'm so used to it that I practically ignore it.

I dont get how people are so easily distracted.. specially in some events etc and cars go by or a noise and they get all flustered... Its not like crowds are silent during free throws in basketball or field goals in football. I understand the respect part but honestly, take your shot-focus and don't let such little $%^&* bother you.. If one peep or noise throws your whole shot off then you really need to practice more. The best is a course near an airport with planes taking off constantly and if you don't let it bother you it won't-- just becomes background noise.

I stop talking when people step up to drive. I can throw off the tee with people talking, but get pretty bent when people talk while I'm putting.

I dont get how people are so easily distracted.. specially in some events etc and cars go by or a noise and they get all flustered... Its not like crowds are silent during free throws in basketball or field goals in football. I understand the respect part but honestly, take your shot-focus and don't let such little $%^&* bother you.. If one peep or noise throws your whole shot off then you really need to practice more. The best is a course near an airport with planes taking off constantly and if you don't let it bother you it won't-- just becomes background noise.
:thmbup:

I definitely struggle at times off the tee when people are talking (especially if the talking starts right when I'm in my x-step). For some reason I'm able to zone just about anything out while I'm putting.

I'm trying to work on ignoring these things and in casual rounds I don't care anyway. There's often a bit of heckling going on in casual rounds...

One thing I noticed at USDGC this week is that the higher rated players there (970+) didn't really stop talking while others were on the pad until they were in their motion and how when they were on the teepad nothing seemed to bother them. Very different from the advanced field I play in where everyone wants perfect silence and stillness in a 100 foot radius for 30 full seconds.

I'll do my best not to talk during a throw, but I will be honest and say that I do forget every now and again and talk to my partner during another person's throw. I recognize that this may be rude and I do apologize in the instances where I mess up, but not a single person has even really cared that I was talking during their throw.

I don't care much if people talk during my throw, unless they're really loud or obnoxious.