• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

tee shots over water

hole 9... lakewood king in Seattle... i've lost 2 disc there. best advice i can give you is ignore the distance; thats what kills you. you'll end up nose upp'ing the disc into water. when i threw flat i was on an ace line for the basket.

One of my favorite water holes is #12 at Chattooga Bell Farm. From the long tee in a straight line the near water's edge is 220-240'. The far edge (to carry) is 295-315' from the tee. The length differences is the difference from measuring with a wheel versus measuring with a GPS.

The basket is 475' or so from the tee. If you decide to play over land the basket is about 550' or so away...with the distance to the corner (giving a 'clear' look at the basket) is about 340'.

The hole plays down hill from the tee to the pin. The corner is lower than the pin so if you're playing the long way around the 2nd shot may well be an uphill shot.

This hole gives players several options from both the long and the short tees from going for it, laying up or turning the corner.

Attachments

• downloadfile.jpg
    downloadfile.jpg
    76.5 KB · Views: 24
This is hole 17 at Jack Brooks Park, on the Cedar Hills course (two courses in park). The hole is over 400ft, and I believe its at least 280ft to clear the water. Not seen in the picture, to the right, is some land, that you can throw to that is only about 230ft across. I have lost two discs on this hole, because the wind caught them, and dropped them in the water.

hole17atjackbrooks.jpg

Roane_hole_12-1045x729.jpg
[/IMG]

This one comes to mind. This is hole one at Roane County Park in Tennessee. It is an easy 300 feet over the water. Very cool looking shot to bomb it over the water with a big hyzer. During the summer the water isnt as high and there is a bank if you cant make it all the way there.

Looks lime a really fun shot, though I don't see a safe option for beginners to avoid losing discs.

I think shots where the water is parallel to the path to the basket are tougher and make the hole more interesting than just a forced carry.

Holes 1, 3, 13, 14, and 18 at Russellville DGC are like this:
0772f558.jpg

I agree with the part about playing along side of water...that ads an interesting element. I think I've lost more discs to holes that play along water than ones that shoot over water. A small creek can add an effect of islands or playing with the mental aspect more than anything else.

I am a huge fan of the risk/reward contemplation that every golfer has to consider when they are on a tee box that faces water.The designer's goal is a throw over water that when executed properly assures a birdie,but risks a bogie versus a conservative tee shot that guarantees an easy approach for a three or an awesome deuce from 85 feet or more...how many are too many for an 18 hole course...2..3.?

for me i don't have a specific number that says that "3" is too much but "2" is fine. for me, i don't mind a bit of risk, i just don't want to risk too much since i'm not that great. so one hole with a LOT of risk might be too much but 5 holes with very low risk might be just right.

this one is spooky!

da30c176.jpg

map

Latest posts