• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Tee Sign Height

zud00

Double Eagle Member
Silver level trusted reviewer
Just wondering what your preferences or recommendations on height of tee sign and how far in the ground it should be. I am getting 12x18 inch signs VERTICAL mounted on a 4x4. I was planning on putting it 1.5 feet in ground on a 6 foot long 4x4. That would leave the top of the 4x4 at 4.5 feet. The bottom of the sign would then be at 3 feet. Do you think that is to low? Do you think 1.5 feet inground will be enough?

I was thinking top of the sign about 4ft above ground level (give or take), so I think you're in the right neighborhood. As to how deep to go in the ground, I think that might depend on where you are, how soft the ground is, water retention, etc. I think at least two feet in the ground to provide stability, even in soft, saturated conditions. You never know what kind of abuse people will dish out.

Last edited:
Just wondering what your preferences or recommendations on height of tee sign and how far in the ground it should be. I am getting 12x18 inch signs VERTICAL mounted on a 4x4. I was planning on putting it 1.5 feet in ground on a 6 foot long 4x4. That would leave the top of the 4x4 at 4.5 feet. The bottom of the sign would then be at 3 feet. Do you think that is to low? Do you think 1.5 feet inground will be enough?
yes, that's fine. just make sure they are positioned far enough away from the tee pad so arms don't swing into them.

Bottom in 1.5 feet of dirt or 1.5 feet of concrete? If you don't do concrete, the signs will be leaning and/or out within a matter of weeks.

I will probably dig out a 2' hole, have 6 inches of gravel, and use an 80 lb bag of concrete mix.

This topic brings me to another question....Where do you best like tee signs positioned? I think i like it when they are even with the end of the tee pad, maybe 3 or 4 feet off to the side. Do you like it at or near the beginning or end?

Do you think it they should all be in the same orientation to the teepads throughout the course? (right side of pad, left side of pad, ect...)

I will probably dig out a 2' hole, have 6 inches of gravel, and use an 80 lb bag of concrete mix.

This topic brings me to another question....Where do you best like tee signs positioned? I think i like it when they are even with the end of the tee pad, maybe 3 or 4 feet off to the side. Do you like it at or near the beginning or end?

Do you think it they should all be in the same orientation to the teepads throughout the course? (right side of pad, left side of pad, ect...)

I personally prefer them several feet behind the tee, and facing so as you look at the sign you're also looking down the fairway. If they are near the front of the pad, they'd better be way out of the way so even those of us with long arms don't have to worry about smacking them with our follow through. Height isn't at all important to me as long as it's readable from a normal standing position.

That would be nice, but probably not necessary, and may not be practical.
Just make sure the sign is positioned such that:
1) it's clear of the tee pad to allow for safe followthrough, and accomodate those who like to start from off of the tee pad (some do).
2) they consistently face toward the tee, so first timers know which way the hole goes.

I think i like it when they are even with the end of the tee pad, maybe 3 or 4 feet off to the side. Do you like it at or near the beginning or end?
Nothing should be within 6 feet of any edge of the teepad. Nothing.

Also don't plant them sideways where it makes tee off direction look ambiguous. I've ran into more than a few of these over the years.

Regarding tee sign position, three things...

1) Behind the tee somewhere is preferable, as long as it does not prevent *reasonable* run-ups onto the tee. (by reasonable, I mean it does not have to accommodate the freaks who need to come from 15 feet behind or to the side of a 10-12 foot long, 4-5 foot wide pad)

2) Ideally, the sign is in or nearby the position in which most players are going to congregate to wait on and/or watch the throwers ahead of them. Players, especially ones new to the course, are going to seek out the sign and spend time near it anyway. Might as well make it convenient to look at and have the best view of the tee/fairway set up too. Bonus points for removing the distraction of sign gawkers milling about in their peripheral vision of the players on the tee.

3) If points 1 or 2 prove troublesome to accomplish, the next best determination for placing the sign should be somewhere that is visible to players approaching from the previous hole. Nothing makes a first-time visitor to the course feel they're headed in the right direction than the specter of the next tee's sign at the end of the path. Bonus if the hole number portion of the sign is facing toward that direction as well (particularly with signs where the number and the map/description might be separate pieces).

Nothing should be within 6 feet of any edge of the teepad. Nothing.

This is worth repeating. Don't turn your tee signs into a course obstacle! Err on the side of too far from the pad rather than too close. In the woods, it can be hard to consistently put the signs in the same position relative to the pad, but I'd prefer them to be (well) behind the pad rather than next to it, so that people can read the sign without getting in a throwing player's way. If you have benches at your tee pads, next to the benches might be a good place as well. But whatever you do, don't put the signs within 6' of the tee pad!

In terms of the height, between 3'-5' high sounds reasonable for a sign mounted vertically. Any lower and you're going to start forcing tall players to bend over to read the signs. Any higher and some people will have to look up to read the sign, which is also a pain. Another idea I've seen, if you want the signs lower, is to mount the sign on a 45-degree angle to the ground, so that they face upward towards the reader. To do this, though, you may have to figure a different way to mount them than you're planning.

Thanks for all the great responses.

I will be putting tank tops on the 4x4s which will house the sign graphics. (http://www.ifoatlanta.com/discgolf.html). It sounds like it is preferrable to place them behind the tee. When I think about it, it is a better idea this way. In groups, players who are waiting to tee can still look at the sign.

They will all face the direction of the basket.

You could always do this
b5026b95.jpg

^^^Thankfully, I'm a lefty. :D

So, to recap:
Not higher than 6', nor closer than 6' to any edge. Those are pretty good standards.

I'd put them where the most players waiting to throw can observe. As far as the person on the tee, they should have figured it out by the time they stepped up, unless wind suddenly becomes a factor.
I like right or left of the tee, probably just short of even with the front, and about the aforementioned 6' away, in the unlikely occurence you should fall sideways off the tee[hey, its happened].

Last edited:
I always thought the tee sign should always be on the left of the teepad. Majority of people throw rhbh so you wont have to worry about smacking the sign on your follow thru.
Also use pressure treated wood. Local group cheaped out on one course and half of the posts are warped and/or splitting.
Also consider securing the tee signs properly where they can't be ripped off.

^^ I assume this is a troll post ^^ :thmbdown::thmbdown::thmbdown:

No just my sarcastic way of showing exactly what NOT to do.

I agree that 6' away from the tee pad is the best option, but what if that's not possible. For example, Hole 8 at my home course Old Post Disc Golf Course has boulders on either side of the tee pad going back several feet. The sign was put in an awkward spot for some throwers, but it was put there because there was not really any other place to put it. I'll get a pic of what I mean later. Not relevant to the OP necessarily, but what would other options be for holes like that?

You could always do this
b5026b95.jpg

^^ I assume this is a troll post ^^ :thmbdown::thmbdown::thmbdown:

While not ideal by any means, it looks like that pad is a good 12-14 feet long. Plenty of room to get a fair run up from either back corner of the pad. Could be a lot worse.

Like this gem. Every hole was like this...3X5 gravel boxes for tees with the signs in the same spot on each one. A lefty's dream. Fortunately, the course is no more.

cranmore1.jpg

^^^Don't get where you'd think that's a lefty's dream---my follow-through would smack it no matter how far right I got on the tee. Its just bad placement period.
And I really don't care what side its on----but by Odin don't put it that close.

Latest posts