• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Tell us about a bad experience

Visiting a friend out of town about a month ago, we played a round at his home course. He introduced me to the game last year and he's been playing a long time, so I was looking forward to seeing how I would measure up. He ran into a buddy on the second hole who then joined us. Turns out they have a ritual on this course to take a break after the third hole and blaze up. Despite my screen name here I'm just a casual smoker and never drink or smoke while playing. The stuff they had was some insane heavy sativa that gave me a panic attack about 10 minutes later and I played like I'd never picked up a disc in my life. Couldn't hit a line, couldn't hit a putt outside of 12 feet. Just embarrassing. My Nalgene was empty by the 6th hole and I felt like I would die of thirst, which made me even more paranoid than I already was. Didn't help that this was the tightest course I've ever played, mostly tunnel shots and blind pins in heavy woods. We spent half the round looking for my discs. That night he texted me a putting instructional video from youtube. :doh:

OK, here goes...

About 5 years ago I played a tournament where there was a mando "island hole" without a drop zone just a re-tee at the box with penalty stroke. And you were not allowed to retrieve your disc and there was a strong wind. After my first shot looked like an ace run but skipped off the island and my 2nd shot caught some wind and sored over the basket and off the island again, I got rattled and literally emptied my bag of discs, 12 of them. I was allowed to gather to continue and hit it on my first try, but 2 putted for a 27 on the hole!!! I then lost my cool and embarrassed myself some more. The only good that came out of it that they no longer do a re-tee and have a drop zone like most tournaments.

To this day when I play that course I will meet someone new who when hearing my name will ask me if I am "That Rick G?" To which I have to sheepishly say "Yes".

Rick G

I found your disc, but I threw it in the water!

Warming up for Pro Worlds at Peter Pan course, I accidentally leave my Champion Valkyrie on Hole 5. Of course I don't realize this for a few holes. When I go back and check, it is gone. At the end of the round, I ask the two guys playing behind us if they found my yellow Champion Valkyrie on Hole 5. They say, we didn't find a yellow disc. So I decide I will stay by Hole 18 and check with others as they come off the course.

Then a few minutes later, one of the guys that played behind us comes up and says:

Him: In slight Southern Drawl: "I found your disc, but I threw it in the water."

Me: "Huh? Oh wait, this is a joke right?"

Him: "I called the number on the back and left a message. I also thought the disc was orange, not yellow. That is why I told you we didn't find it."

Me: "Really? Why would you throw my disc in the water?"

Him: "Well, I didn't mean to throw it in the water. I can pay you back, or give you my Valkyrie. I am really sorry."

At this point I still don't know whether this is a joke or real. I don't know whether to laugh or cry. My practice buddies are bursting with laughter at my expense. Meanwhile, I am clinging to the hope I could still get it back.

Me: "Well, if you threw it in the water, it has my name on it, so maybe someone will turn it in?'

Him: "Nope, I threw it in the river on Hole 15."

Sadly for me, Hole 15 is a muddy rain swollen river. At this point I realize my "orange" Valkyrie has gone to Davy Jones' Locker and will never the light of day again. I play a little "Taps" in my head and remember the Valkyrie with fondness.

Now every time I think about it, I have to laugh. Said as nice as pie with a slight Southern drawl:

"I found your disc, but I threw it in the water."

Casual round at the Scrapyard in Charlotte, playing hole 17, a par 4. Second shot went left of the pin into the woods. Play out of the woods, walking to my shot and feel pain on top of my right ear and on my ankle. Two solid yellow jacket stings. As I swat at my ear, I sent my glasses flying in some unknown direction. Problem 1, can't find my glasses and it's much harder to find them when they aren't on your head. I'm searching - think Velma in a Scooby-Doo cartoon looking for her glasses. After a little time, glasses are located.

I'm in pain, but attempt to play the last hole. Take my drive, hit a tree and decide I'm done. Picked up my disc and head to my car. These stings are making me anxious as hell. My palms are starting to itch. Jump in the car and drive home. Ear and ankle hurt, anxious as hell, palms itching, and then the bottoms of my feet start to itch. Entire ride home is uncomfortable and I start to feel a few welts on the back of my arms. Ok - having a minor allergic reaction. In the past I had a few localized allergic reactions - for example, a be sting location would cause above average swelling and it would still be there a few days later.

I get home and my wife is there. I explain the bee sting, itchy palms, and that I had a few small welts not only on my arms, but also on my thighs at this point. I'm also covered in sweat since it's summer in Charlotte. I need a shower immediately. She asks, "Do you need an epi pen?"
I said "no, I'll be fine. I really just need a shower."
I'm taking a shower when my wife decides that I'm full of crap and brings an epi pen into the bathroom. It was her pen since she's allergic to bees. I never needed one. Apparently you apply an epi pen by making a stabbing motion to the outer thigh. She didn't explain this as she opens the shower door, wielding the pen, and making a stabbing motions at the lower half of my body. I'm turning to the side trying to protect my man parts wondering what the hell she's doing.

She gives me the shot and leaves. I don't feel any better immediately but continue my shower. Suddenly I start to feel dizzy and it's getting worse by the second. I'm covered in soap, so I rinse as quickly possible, turn off the shower, step out, grab a towel and flop onto bed. I'm not sure that I actually passed out for any time, but standing wasn't an option. Story ends quickly from there. I stayed on the bed for a few minutes, started to feel better over the next 10-15 minutes and then felt great. Allergic reaction to bee stings were my worst DG experience, but learned that epi pens work great!

You had my attention during the shower part, you lost me after that. Lol

If my wife joined me in the shower it would probably be to stab me too lol.

whoa! that was one of the weirder stories I've heard 'round here :heh:

I got stung good dozen times on the course one day after trying to play an errant throw just off the fairway. It was a good thing I'm not allergic or it would have been a rough situation. The best medicine for me was revenge. 30 minutes of rock throwing and a dozen additional stings later, their hive had been destroyed :)

Casual round at the Scrapyard in Charlotte, playing hole 17, a par 4. Second shot went left of the pin into the woods. Play out of the woods, walking to my shot and feel pain on top of my right ear and on my ankle. Two solid yellow jacket stings. As I swat at my ear, I sent my glasses flying in some unknown direction. Problem 1, can't find my glasses and it's much harder to find them when they aren't on your head. I'm searching - think Velma in a Scooby-Doo cartoon looking for her glasses. After a little time, glasses are located.

I'm in pain, but attempt to play the last hole. Take my drive, hit a tree and decide I'm done. Picked up my disc and head to my car. These stings are making me anxious as hell. My palms are starting to itch. Jump in the car and drive home. Ear and ankle hurt, anxious as hell, palms itching, and then the bottoms of my feet start to itch. Entire ride home is uncomfortable and I start to feel a few welts on the back of my arms. Ok - having a minor allergic reaction. In the past I had a few localized allergic reactions - for example, a be sting location would cause above average swelling and it would still be there a few days later.

I get home and my wife is there. I explain the bee sting, itchy palms, and that I had a few small welts not only on my arms, but also on my thighs at this point. I'm also covered in sweat since it's summer in Charlotte. I need a shower immediately. She asks, "Do you need an epi pen?"
I said "no, I'll be fine. I really just need a shower."
I'm taking a shower when my wife decides that I'm full of crap and brings an epi pen into the bathroom. It was her pen since she's allergic to bees. I never needed one. Apparently you apply an epi pen by making a stabbing motion to the outer thigh. She didn't explain this as she opens the shower door, wielding the pen, and making a stabbing motions at the lower half of my body. I'm turning to the side trying to protect my man parts wondering what the hell she's doing.

She gives me the shot and leaves. I don't feel any better immediately but continue my shower. Suddenly I start to feel dizzy and it's getting worse by the second. I'm covered in soap, so I rinse as quickly possible, turn off the shower, step out, grab a towel and flop onto bed. I'm not sure that I actually passed out for any time, but standing wasn't an option. Story ends quickly from there. I stayed on the bed for a few minutes, started to feel better over the next 10-15 minutes and then felt great. Allergic reaction to bee stings were my worst DG experience, but learned that epi pens work great!

Sounds like a waste of an epi pen. Unless you were having difficulty breathing, it probably wasn't neccesary. Life threatening allergic reactions come in pretty quick, within 30 mins usually. I bet that cost you at least $100. Those pens ain't cheap.

I have bits and clips from the 10 years I've been playing. In no particular order, here are the worst:

1) Threw a great drive on #14 at South Mountain DGC (Bethlehem PA), only to hit my friend 175' down the most open fairway on the course. His face was red with a small gash but no major bleeding...to this day he still stands no less than 50' when I have a disc in my hand.

2) Finished DFL in the first 3 tournaments I played.

3) Stumbled on a tree stump on the first hole of a round...walked with a limp the remaining 17 holes and 80 shots.

4) Got lost on a new course construction after the 17th hole (this course turned out to be Iron Hill, arguably Delaware's best course), walked for an hour in the woods only to find the highway that borders the course to the far east...another hour walk to the car.

5) Played a doubles tournament in 3 feet of snow...at least we lost no plastic but we finished DFL.

6) Went to retrieve a throw on the edge of a creek at a course in Camp Hill PA, but got poison oak all over me...lost two days of work and couldn't play for at least two weeks afterward.

7) I had a friend that swore so much at a course that someone told a park official and we were asked to leave halfway into a round.

8) Finally, a few months ago I threw a great drive on the tightest hole at Tradewinds Park in Coconut Creek, FL, only to kick off the last tree and into a tree that has a KNOWN honeybee hive. I tried to throw but kept getting chased and stung. Finally I took a drop, retrieved the disc, got stung several more times, and finished the hole.

I like this one. First tournament I played, I came really close to DFL but really battled to finish ahead. I finished second to last by a stroke or two and it was a pretty sweet personal "victory." And I've managed to avoid DFL ever since.

So now, after every tournament that I don't win (almost all of them), my GF asks me how it went and I answer, "Awww, not so hot. But at least I didn't finish last."

Aced a hole and convinced my friends to play another round. My friend threw a less than good shot we had to look for. I ended up slipping l, feet kicked out in front of me. Ended up with a mild concusion and whip lash. My day went from amazing because of the ace to painful real quick.

I have bits and clips from the 10 years I've been playing. In no particular order, here are the worst:

1) Threw a great drive on #14 at South Mountain DGC (Bethlehem PA), only to hit my friend 175' down the most open fairway on the course. His face was red with a small gash but no major bleeding...to this day he still stands no less than 50' when I have a disc in my hand.

8) Finally, a few months ago I threw a great drive on the tightest hole at Tradewinds Park in Coconut Creek, FL, only to kick off the last tree and into a tree that has a KNOWN honeybee hive. I tried to throw but kept getting chased and stung. Finally I took a drop, retrieved the disc, got stung several more times, and finished the hole.

Must be one of those guys who throws and starts walking, not caring about who else is waiting to throw. lol

I did a bunch of yard work yesterday and got a blister :mad:

3) Stumbled on a tree stump on the first hole of a round...walked with a limp the remaining 17 holes and 80 shots.

4) Got lost on a new course construction after the 17th hole (this course turned out to be Iron Hill, arguably Delaware's best course), walked for an hour in the woods only to find the highway that borders the course to the far east...another hour walk to the car.

5) Played a doubles tournament in 3 feet of snow...at least we lost no plastic but we finished DFL.

6) Went to retrieve a throw on the edge of a creek at a course in Camp Hill PA, but got poison oak all over me...lost two days of work and couldn't play for at least two weeks afterward.

7) I had a friend that swore so much at a course that someone told a park official and we were asked to leave halfway into a round.

You win!! All great but bolded is my favorite.