• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Discraft] The Avenger was discontinued...now's your chance

GarrettDN

Par Member
I realize this is a sub set from the Ledgestone, but if you look through the historic posts this was a bigish deal when they dropped it...so...

I bag the Bat Stamp Z Avenger. The more recent Z was a bit too slippery, a bit domeier, and strangely more overstable. So I bag 2X Bat Stamp Z avenger, have one in reserve (just cracked another one, but that's another story), but am always worried what will happen when the avenger train runs out.

I was stoked to see that the Ledgestone has with it a Big Z avenger releases (and as a plane junky, loving the stamp). I ordered a handful, hoping that plastic feels more like old-world Z.

This is sort of a PSA for anyone who missed that drop. There are still a lot of them available, so get in there if you are someone looking to refresh your avenger selection.

I have tried to find a replacement disc for it forever. I thought the thunderbird might be it, but it starts it's turn a little bit earlier for me. Still just love the avenger.

I'll report back once I get them in had and get some throws on them. Just wanted to make sure this was highlighted to Avenger lovers here.

I realize this is a sub set from the Ledgestone, but if you look through the historic posts this was a bigish deal when they dropped it...so...

I bag the Bat Stamp Z Avenger. The more recent Z was a bit too slippery, a bit domeier, and strangely more overstable. So I bag 2X Bat Stamp Z avenger, have one in reserve (just cracked another one, but that's another story), but am always worried what will happen when the avenger train runs out.

I was stoked to see that the Ledgestone has with it a Big Z avenger releases (and as a plane junky, loving the stamp). I ordered a handful, hoping that plastic feels more like old-world Z.

This is sort of a PSA for anyone who missed that drop. There are still a lot of them available, so get in there if you are someone looking to refresh your avenger selection.

I have tried to find a replacement disc for it forever. I thought the thunderbird might be it, but it starts it's turn a little bit earlier for me. Still just love the avenger.

I'll report back once I get them in had and get some throws on them. Just wanted to make sure this was highlighted to Avenger lovers here.

Please do, man. I used to throw an Avenger as my go-to forehand, and never found something to quite replace it. The Boatman seems pretty close.

I'm tempted to get the special edition (Ledgestone?) Avenger simply because of the airplane on the stamp. I don't think I would plan to throw it, sadly. I've got too many discs in the same ballpark: I have a few Tsunamis, two Big Z Vultures, and some champ Thunderbirds. But I'm a WW2 airplane buff, and that stamp is one of the more attractive (to me...) Discraft stamps in a while!

I'm tempted to get the special edition (Ledgestone?) Avenger simply because of the airplane on the stamp. I don't think I would plan to throw it, sadly. I've got too many discs in the same ballpark: I have a few Tsunamis, two Big Z Vultures, and some champ Thunderbirds. But I'm a WW2 airplane buff, and that stamp is one of the more attractive (to me...) Discraft stamps in a while!

I haven't thrown it yet (terrible weather) but they came yesterday and I can confirm they are slightly domey, and the grip is (not surprisingly) better than Z. Fairly stiff, but not plate-like. A tick or two softer than my old-school Z-Avengers, but much softer than the more recent generation (non-bat-stamp) avengers.

Nice looking discs.

I haven't thrown it yet (terrible weather) but they came yesterday and I can confirm they are slightly domey, and the grip is (not surprisingly) better than Z. Fairly stiff, but not plate-like. A tick or two softer than my old-school Z-Avengers, but much softer than the more recent generation (non-bat-stamp) avengers.

Nice looking discs.

How does the stability compare to prior generations? I have a "bat stamp" ESP from a few years ago which was relatively OS and flat if I remember correctly...

I will say that Big Z is a great plastic, with slightly better grip but still with very good durability. The Big Z Vulture is definitely a winner, and I love me a good Big Z Buzzz. I haven't tried tons if other molds, but I imagine this could be a good one too.

Threw a friends Pink 175 plane stamped avenger today. It some flew like an undertaker. So weird considering how beefy every other avenger I have ever thrown. I second that the Anax is the superior mold to the avenger now. Floaty and has more distance for me, but a reliable finish.

Just popped in to say I have fond memories of avenger.. I threw em cuz they had the coolest stamp, and they flew good but the stamp was the reason for purchase :D

If anyone wants my old Z Avenger they can hit me up. $200 sounds fair right? 6/10, minimal ink.

Verdict: the Ledgestone avengers are a tick more stable than the old bat stamp Z, but a tick or maybe two less stable than the most recent standard stamp s avenger. I'm going to carry one for now as a slightly more stable compliment.

Compared to the Thunderbird, much later fade. Which I like. I get like the last runs of Z avengers were pretty close to what I see in the thunderbird (maybe ironically since it is an older mold).

They definitely start off more domey than the old bat stamps, but the plastic feels like it it is at the end of my bag in a hot car that would change. But I'm speculating.

Once my anax delivery arrives I'll compare to that. I'm hoping these will be a good slightly OS compliment. But we'll see. One day of throwing isn't exactly a huge amount of time to feel then out yet.

But this ledgestone stamp is awesome either way. I'm surprised there are still these (and the ledgestone Buzzzs) available. I'm going to keep a handful unthrown probably because I just love the stamp.

How much should they be?

If the average price of premium plastic was closer to $22, I would probably whine less.

But we all know that there was nothing wrong with the Avenger that necessitated them going OOP in favor of the Vulture or Anax. Bummer that it's relegated to boutique runs sold at a premium for no reason other than there aren't stacks of the stock stamp on the shelf. :thmbdown:

After a more thorough review....they are actually pretty similar to the old Z bat stamps, which makes me very happy. I threw a yellow and orange, both at 173-174, quite a bit. Definitely later fade than the newer bar stamp z avengers.

Timing was excellent, as yesterday I smooshed one of my bat stamps into a tree and it shattered into about 30 pieces. The joys of throwing old plastic. My wife was impressed, but if I didn't have this new avengers at the ready I probably would have stopped my round to weep. I only have one I thrown bat stamp original Z left on my shelf, but now I'm not sure I'll even need it with this new ledgestone run (I bought "1 or 2").

So my summary: if you liked the old avenger, buy a ledgestone. They are borderline perfect, and I think the stamp is killer, if you're into that.

Found a non-inked Airplane stamped Big Z Avenger at Bryant Lake the other day. Not sure if I'll actually use it, if it flies like the numbers it's gonna be too OS for my backhand and it seems a touch too deep and domey to be comfortable forehand.