• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

The bag of Ian .. 2016 Edition

ian.

*Legalize It*
New year so new thread! Always enjoy looking back at these and reviewing the changes or lately lack there of :D .. Trying to work on a few things this winter.. arm slot, grip, hips, forehand etc. but yeah here is what im currently tossing

Distance

168 FR Icon Outlaw - my windy day, beefy, dependable fade driver .. fh, bh, etc
173 Legend Nemesis - open max distance.. still testing but really really fun to throw!
168 Legend Bandit - my workhorse and a line shaping machine .. anything from hyzers to anhyzers
165 FR Icon Bandit - flippy but oh so fun .. hyzerflips, turnovers, rollers, etc.

Control

168 Pinnacle Patriot - workhorse.. this disc can honestly do it all for me
168 Pinnacle Rival (flat, stiff, seasoned) - love this disc! nice and straight w/ gentle fade
172 Legend Rival (domey,gunmetal) - the beef.. big hyzers, windy days, control forehand, etc.

Mids

174 Protege Ghost - this is the Ghost i have dreamed about.. thanks Legacy!! Great dependable mid
175 Excel Ghost (getting beat) - nice flippy woods golf disc
175 FR Icon Gauge - loved this disc in the past but had went back to my Comets.. its winter now so figured what the heck lets play with her some more and yeah i forgot how great this mold is!

Putters

175 Protege Clozer ("cream dream" orange..seasoned) my baby..
175 Protege Clozer ("cream dream" orange) - putting putter twin.. practice or if i need a touch more beef
175 Protege Clozer (stiff, grippy, white, seasoned) - upshots, touch putter drives, etc.
175 Legend Clutch - main driving putter.. possibly the best driving putter ive thrown.. perfect mold/plastic combo

Utility

169 FLX Zone (concave, fresh) - FH,BH,OH you name it! majority of my upshots and also works as a beefy tweener/mid .. put the flx in over my esp for the winter
168 FR Icon Mongoose (beat) - STUPID Understable! rollers, trick shots, etc.
168 Champ Firebird (super beat, flat) - forehands, fh rollers, windy days, all around utility
167 Glo Firebird (fresh, super flat) - stupid overstable and i love it!!

Played a TON of golf this weekend! Threw the Gauge very well so its for sure staying in the bag for at least the winter to continue playing around with her. Also got to toss the Legend Nemesis a lot and I love it! it seems to fit perfectly with my arm speed and got some very smooth distance lines out of it.. hmm other than that its pretty solid.. i did have some weird putting moments yesterday during our tag rounds .. i just lost focus or "gas" (give-a-sh1t) and had some random short misses and putting is something i take pride in so that was weird but hell its was helluva fun weekend!!

Nice lineup! Definitely like seeing praise for the Protégé Ghost. I think they are criminally underrated/overlooked.

Nice lineup! Definitely like seeing praise for the Protégé Ghost. I think they are criminally underrated/overlooked.

yeah dude its absurd! its my favorite mid/plastic combo since... hmmm maybe old big bird dx rancho rocs or 11x rocs .. I LOVE it!! Just waiting for this one to season a bit more so i can cycle in another :D

Protege ghosts are great and I have easily convinced a couple people to bag one, I just keep reaching for my legend more often than not. Nice lineup!

^^ thanks buddy .. Yeah i have an early Gunmetal Legend thats in my car that ill toss on windy days or if i just know im going to need a mid with some extra beef .. I have always been more of a basline mid guy but i enjoy all flavors of Ghost :)

The Protege Ghosts are the best Roc out there right now, haha. The plastic is so good, and the stability they start with is perfect for a good, long cycle. I used one for a lot of the season last year and it just got straighter, but STILL won't flip. The thing has gouges, scrapes, and bumps but it still just holds straight. Such a good disc.

The Protege Ghosts are the best Roc out there right now, haha. The plastic is so good, and the stability they start with is perfect for a good, long cycle. I used one for a lot of the season last year and it just got straighter, but STILL won't flip. The thing has gouges, scrapes, and bumps but it still just holds straight. Such a good disc.

couldnt say it any better myself :clap: .. I went to ghosts i guess its been hmm almost two years ago?? Something like that but it was right around the time innova started playing with the roc mold (+, 3 molds, all that stuff) and at that time their basline plastic was... well :sick: .. unless you were willing to spend time at a brick and mortar store fingering through them.. which isnt an option for me and yeah Ghosts kicked them out with no problems and i havent looked back.. but yeah im with ya my protege has been in the bag since release (of the new blend) and its still stable

couldnt say it any better myself :clap: .. I went to ghosts i guess its been hmm almost two years ago?? Something like that but it was right around the time innova started playing with the roc mold (+, 3 molds, all that stuff) and at that time their basline plastic was... well :sick:

Is this the reason you started going to an all Legacy bag?

couldnt say it any better myself :clap: .. I went to ghosts i guess its been hmm almost two years ago?? Something like that but it was right around the time innova started playing with the roc mold (+, 3 molds, all that stuff) and at that time their basline plastic was... well :sick: .. unless you were willing to spend time at a brick and mortar store fingering through them.. which isnt an option for me and yeah Ghosts kicked them out with no problems and i havent looked back.. but yeah im with ya my protege has been in the bag since release (of the new blend) and its still stable

Can't agree with you guys more. Like you, I got tired of picking through Rocs to find a run of plastic that I liked. McPro Roc3s are pretty good, but I'm not a huge fan of the Roc3 mold. Not a bad disc by any means, but I just couldn't make it work for me. Once I discovered the Protégé Ghost, I stocked up and now I really don't miss my DX and KC Pro Rocs.

Is this the reason you started going to an all Legacy bag?

yeah it was the start .. I first tried the Patriot and Ghost and loved them so much that i moved on to trying the Bandit, Rival etc. and found i could cover all the same lines that i was throwing with my pfn sidewinders, old dx and 11x rocs, my kc pro teebirds, etc. but at normal production cost and in much, much better plastic! (imo anyway :) ) .. I soon found out that Legacy has a great group of guys and work like a large family! So i figured hell if i can cover the same lines with better plastic at a production cost why not and its nice to know that the cash i spend is going to such a great up and coming company! Legacy = Family :thmbup:

Can't agree with you guys more. Like you, I got tired of picking through Rocs to find a run of plastic that I liked. McPro Roc3s are pretty good, but I'm not a huge fan of the Roc3 mold. Not a bad disc by any means, but I just couldn't make it work for me. Once I discovered the Protégé Ghost, I stocked up and now I really don't miss my DX and KC Pro Rocs.

yeah im with you on the McPro .. I love that plastic blend but not a huge fan of the Roc3 mold.. honestly if Innova would have released Rancho Rocs in that McPro plastic i may have never tried a Ghost.. which is scary to think lol :)

yeah it was the start .. I first tried the Patriot and Ghost and loved them so much that i moved on to trying the Bandit, Rival etc. and found i could cover all the same lines that i was throwing with my pfn sidewinders, old dx and 11x rocs, my kc pro teebirds, etc. but at normal production cost and in much, much better plastic! (imo anyway :) ) .. I soon found out that Legacy has a great group of guys and work like a large family! So i figured hell if i can cover the same lines with better plastic at a production cost why not and its nice to know that the cash i spend is going to such a great up and coming company! Legacy = Family :thmbup:

:thmbup:

Nothing new for me... did get my hands on some light weight Pinnacle Outlaws to test out. Hoping it will be the overstable ..or i should say even more overstable.. partner to my Icon. Thinking i can use it for really windy backhands, flex shots and all around forehands. Feels weird only have one Patriot in the bag (i lost a few over the last two months) ..still plan on adding in a replacement Icon but so far ive been getting by without it. Here is the complete full bag but i very very very rarely carry all of these at once.. several come out depending on the course/conditions..

Distance

166 FR Pinnacle Outlaw- beefy partner to my icon.. hoping it will work in to my primary fh driver
168 FR Icon Outlaw - she is seasoning in nicely.. windy day, max distance bh, fh, etc.
173 Legend Nemesis - open max distance.. still testing but really really fun to throw!
168 Legend Bandit - my workhorse and a line shaping machine .. anything from hyzers to anhyzers
165 FR Icon Bandit - flippy but oh so fun .. hyzerflips, turnovers, rollers, etc.

Control

168 Pinnacle Rival (flat, stiff, seasoned) - love this disc! nice and straight w/ gentle fade
168 Pinnacle Rival (domey,pearly) - fits perfectly between my other two rivals.. super dependable!
172 Gunmetal Legend Rival (domey) - the beef.. big hyzers, windy days, control forehand, etc.

Mids

174 Protege Ghost - this is the Ghost i have dreamed about.. thanks Legacy!! Great dependable mid
175 OG Gunmetal Legend Ghost - beef.. comes in and out depending on course but good, trusty, wind fighting mid
175 FR Icon Gauge - stellar mold! point and shoot disc that can do a bit of everything!

Putters

175 Protege Clozer ("cream dream" orange..seasoned) my baby..
175 Protege Clozer ("cream dream" orange) - putting putter twin.. practice or if i need a touch more beef
175 Protege Clozer (stiff, grippy, white, seasoned) - upshots, touch putter drives, etc.
175 Legend Clutch - main driving putter.. possibly the best driving putter ive thrown.. perfect mold/plastic combo

Utility

169 ESP Zone(concave, beat) - majority of my upshots, some drives, bh,fh,oh, rollers, would be lost without this mold!
169 FLX Zone (concave, fresh) - FH,BH,OH you name it! much beefier then my beat to snot esp..
168 Champ Firebird (super beat, flat) - forehands, fh rollers, windy days, all around utility

Nothing new as far as whats in the bag but the "bag" itself is new :) .. Took it out for its first rounds this past weekend and was impressed. Material feels great! Rides great! Plenty of Storage, rainfly, you name it! The bottom isnt exactly what i wanted but to be honest seeing and feeling it in person its better then expected and stands up great.. and i honestly dont feel the bottom is an issue its just different from the GRIP bottom i have used for years... only time will tell but for the price im very impressed and thoroughly pleased! Oh fwiw its the Fossa Tana Pro bag :)

12801452_890670807714293_6852401152433607501_n.jpg

Nice! The handful I've seen in person are extremely impressive looking bags :thmbup:

Nothing new for me.. Been playing some pretty solid golf of late and with daylight savings time been getting to spend more and more time on the practice basket..With the weather warming i switched back to my trusty stiff old white protege clozers..

Distance

166 FR Pinnacle Outlaw- beefy partner to my icon.. hoping it will work in to my primary fh driver
168 FR Icon Outlaw - she is seasoning in nicely.. windy day, max distance bh, fh, etc.
173 Legend Nemesis - open max distance.. works like a longer bandit for me

Control

168 Pinnacle Rival (domey,pearly) - fits perfectly between my other two rivals.. super dependable!
172 Gunmetal Legend Rival (domey) - the beef.. big hyzers, windy days, control forehand, etc.

Mids

175 OG Gunmetal Legend Ghost - beef.. comes in and out depending on course but good, trusty, wind fighting mid
175 FR Icon Gauge - stellar mold! point and shoot disc that can do a bit of everything!

Putters

175 Protege Clozer (old stiff white) my baby..
175 Protege Clozer (old stiff white) - putting putter twin.. practice or if i need a touch more beef

Utility

169 ESP Zone(concave, beat) - majority of my upshots, some drives, bh,fh,oh, rollers, would be lost without this mold!

Bag : Fossa Tana Pro
Molds : 12
Discs : 21 (never carry this many lots come in and out depending)

Nothing new for me really.. Been forcing myself to throw some Forehand teeshots lately and have had decent results.. for what i expect anyway lol .. I LOVE throwing forehand standstill upshots but have never really clicked on trying to throw them for distance and only way im going to get better is to throw them and the Outlaws have been really really fun :) .. Putting was bad last weekend but at least i was missing birdie putts not par putts.. but i also know what the issue is so will get that sorted out .. been putting on my basket every day after work and putting well but when i got out on the course i was just over thinking things instead of just being confident and putting... #putdiscinbasket

been putting on my basket every day after work and putting well but when i got out on the course i was just over thinking things instead of just being confident and putting... #putdiscinbasket

Dude, I hear you on this. I practice putt all the time in the backyard with my kid, and I do so well when there is no "pressure"! Then I get to the course and often times everything feels off. Has to be all in the head...