• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

The Beginning....

When I was a little kid my dad would take me out with his buds in Davis CA around 1990. One of his buds had a kid named Sean, who I became friends with. Eventually he moved to Denver and my family fallowed a few years later. Sean and I didn't hang out much during high school, but ended up working together during summer break from college. Found out we had inherited our dads discs and played casually. Wasn't long before we started playing and discgolf became a priority. I remember how long it took to learn to throw backhand, but how great it felt when i learned to throw it. Then how to throw it far, then hyzer and anhyzer. I now play several times a week and I'm always looking forward to the next round. Girlfriends get mad that I find more time for discin than them... I have no regrets about that.

My friend told me that all the cool kids were doing it and if I wanted to be cool, I'd have to do it too. So I did. Now I can't stop.

In the summer of 2001 I moved to Nashville from a one horse town called Tullahoma about 1 hour south of Nashville. A few close buds and myself just decided to move to the "big city" and get the heck outta "Dullahoma". It was just one of those towns where if you didn't get out after high school, then you just work at the poolhall and get a doublewide with your highschool girlfriend. Anyway, we were in the parking lot of our new apartment complex tossing around one of those floppy discs made by Aerobie. A neighbor of mine saw us throwing and invited us to take a look at "this". He gets his bag out of the car and proceeds to tell us about the sport and that there was a course about 3 miles from us. I didn't know any better then to not ask a disc golfer to borrow their discs! He was a good sport ad gave us a dx Cheetah and a SE Teebird to borrow but not before echoing the words, "Don't lose 'em!" haha. I thought to myself, "how could we lose them?" So needless to say we went out and were hooked. We stopped at the gas station close to the course on the way back and they had discs! So we bought a few and never looked back!

Wow! I thought for sure I'd never hear anyone mention Tullahoma, TN. I went there in 1996 to help build the Tractor Supply store (actually we did several stores in the Southeast - Tullahoma, Birmingham, Pelham, Nicholasville). Sadly I never got the time to wander around looking for golf venues.

my friend's co-worker let borrow a few discs so we went out and tried it

In '83 we were taking our little girl to Burke Lake Park to ride the carousel and minature train and I saw the sign for 'frisbee golf course'. I used to play catch all the time with my friends so I was all about giving this a try. Got my brother-in-law who lived nearby into it and that was it.

Back in the summer of '07, my two youngest sons (19 and 21 at the time) were home for the summer. I was looking for a way to spend time with them that was cheap and fun and interested all of us. Someone suggested playing disc golf, cheap and fun!
One of my boys moved away, but my youngest is a DG nut like me. we play every time we get a chance.

I played some target "Frisbee" Golf in college in the 80's with an Ultimate style disc and 2 other sized discs (others were only using one disc at that time). We played using park benches and light poles and so forth. It was not only a fun thing to do during some down time, but we also had it as an event for our intramural sports competitions every year.

So after playing that way for a few years, I had not played again until March of 2008 when Brian "The Maceman" Mace built a course in the park next to my home. I met someone playing and told me about these discs made for the sport. So I did some research on the net, got some discs, and got hooked all over again or maybe really for the first time.

I hated walking the dog, so I started frolfing to break up the boredom.

My dad got my brother and me started on disc golf around 1986. I was 9 years old at that time. He was always a Frisbee guy and had a bag of assorted Wham-o Frisbees, Giant Saucer Tosser, Aerobie rings, etc. He had read about a new course in our city - Anna Page in Rockford, IL. (http://www.dgcoursereview.com/course.php?id=727) Dad would play with a Wham-o and an Aerobie and we'd throw lighter Frisbees. On a trip to Chicago we went to a big sporting goods store and each got Discraft Phantom+ "long range drivers"... probably comparable to midrange discs of today! It crushed me when I lost that disc at Anna Page in the mid 90s. We'd only play a couple times a year until I turned 18 in 1995, when I bought Lightning's #1 driver and started going a couple times a week. I don't have time for that anymore!

Last edited:
About a year ago, I get the new Quality Bicycle Products (a top notch bike parts wholesaler) catalog in the mail, and notice they now have Quest golf discs. So at some point in March or April, I ordered some discs, within a few weeks I was out on the local course, and hooked.

A friend of a friend was really into playing, like 10 years ago. Constantly talking about it. My buddy played with them a couple of times back then.
Two years ago he started suggesting we should try this on our camping trips as a game anyone could play. Last spring his wife bought him a portable basket. We both got hooked. I think she secretly regrets getting the basket. Oh well. After 8 months we still suck, but have a lot of fun.

My buddy and I were looking for something to do during the baby shower for his expectant wife. We were kicked out of the house for a few hours. We went to the bowling alley but they were closed. I suggested that we go buy a few discs and find a course. I had played one other time as a kid and thought it might be fun for the guys we were with that day. All of us now play regularly. I have not missed a weekend in nine months. :clap:

I've played Ultimate all my life. When I screwed up my knee and could play ultimate no more (about 3.5 years ago), disc golf seemed the obvious choice for a low-impact alternative. Parks Service put a course in a park near my house about the same time, and the rest is history.

Went camping with a few friends last July at Bong Rec State park and they had all played. UW parkside was 10 minutes away and they had not played it so they talked me into going with. I used a DX Eagle for the round and have been playing ever since.