• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

The downside to ams playing random draw doubles

I was one, when I ran doubles, (A and B pool) who would regularly step up to the A pool; though, there were usually a number of players more qualified than myself to play in that pool. There were nights that my partner and I managed to take home the cash; and more than one of those, was with a quite poor player, but main course designer; who is 60+ years old. I seemed to usually play my best when paired with weakest partner. Dubs is for fun; and should be looked at, that way. Most good players understand this; dbs are out there; but, in disc golf, there are fewer than elsewhere. The really nice thing about dubs, is that, like some of the stories posted here; ams have a chance to play with great players and win; creating a story to be remembered a long time.

any player who shows disdain at being paired with an AM at RANDOM DRAW DOUBLES should be forced to play a cali-style game and back up that elitist attitude.

if he/she doesn't beat the score of a pair of comparable-level pros, tell him/her to get bent and not come back.

You should take the opportunity to get a quick lesson from these 1000 rated players. It's not everyday that you get to play with players of that caliber. If you get a chance to learn from these guys then your game will improve and you'll be able to hang with these guys better in future rounds. Even if your not the best player right now, try your best and in certain situations you might be able help out that 1000 rated player, for example, in doubles I fell alot better going for a big putt if i know my partner just put his putt right under the basket and we can tap in if i miss. Also, if these guys are being jerks, it's probably because they are jerks and not so much because they were partnered with a player that is a lower skill level, you should continue to go to league and develop your skills. And another thing...random draw doubles is more for just having fun....so have fun. It's said the person who has the most fun wins so keep that in mind when being partnered with one of those jerks.

This most recent random draw doubles I did get paired up with a good guy. He was a bit better than me, but not an open player. There was a well know sponsored pro at this event. We drew cards for partners once, and due to a snafu with counting players we decided to redraw partners. The first draw I got paired with Mr. 1000-rated-dbag-player, he took one look at me, knew I wasn't a pro and was the first to yell about how he wanted a redraw, due to the counting mix up of course :cough::cough Well I hope he lost a few discs in the water. Many of us did.

On the other hand I did get to play a super exclusive private course that is both challenging and beautiful. So I am glad I got paired with a decent feller this weekend, but I have had bad experiences including a random draw partner who was a very recent parolee. He was locked up for two years and full of angst. Guess who he took it out on when his rusty game didn't live up to his prison fueled fantasies. Lucky for me he left his bar of soap shiv at the pokey....

So i have to know who was being a tool(PM me if you'd like, although not many MH people are on here)...as I can imagine the people that I could guess would act this way.
Sounds like you and Tommy got paired up as well, he can be one of the most intimidating people out there if you don't know him, and he doesn't know you. At heart a nice guy but can be a jerk w/ the best of em'

Who ended up winning the Mansion dubs? And with what score?

I'm sure the player would rather play cali

There are three 1000 rated players that occasionally show up for random draw doubles. I'm sure all of them hope there's an odd number and that they get picked as the lone ranger. They happily pay double so they can play schizo and immediately become the favorites (since they're essentially 2 1000 rated partners). If they do happen to draw a lower rated player (like me)they're as helpful as they can be.

The kets to keeping everyone happy is to keep the entry fee low and have features like a CTP and/or an ace pot, this way everybody has something to play for no matter who they're paired with.

I love doubles, and it does kind of suck as a pro to get matched up with an intermediate player as your other pro buddies cruise off to go 12 under. However, if you play it often enough, you'll get to play with better players.

The point, no matter what, is to have fun. A pro douchebag is a douchebag on and off the course.

Split pool dubs is problematic: you need to have equal A and B players. This often leads to the situation of B level players being enticed to be in the A pool, or worse, A players bagging in the B pool. I'd avoid this setup. A local club here has it and all they do it argue about it. Another local club does the random dubs and there are few, if any, real issues that come out of it.

Around here we generally know everyone who shows up. Pools are assigned by the TD. If nobody knows you, you go in the Am pool. If you kick everybody's @ss, next week you're in the Pro pool.

Not really, Eric. Some guys around here are good at bitching their way into the B pool.

As for the initial topic - I feel I should be able to carry any am to cash. No matter how bad. If I don't do that, I'm not doing MY job. It is never on my partner to execute shots, no matter how good or bad. I expect myself to do the heavy lifting. I'll get angry sometimes during rounds where I happen to have a **** partner, but its never ever at the partner. Always with myself.

I've yet to be dumped on by the local pros for drawing them as my partner. In my experience, they may be disappointed on the inside, but they don't show it: to me they've always been friendly and welcoming. It could be because they figure if I come back, they'll be the one who gets to take home my $10-15. ;)

I agree with the general sentiment that random draw doubles shouldn't be taken seriously, and I really don't think a pro should be coming to random draw doubles to supplement his income. If he is he's a poor judge of risk.

Last edited:
Uh oh... this threads scaring me away from trying doubles out... I've played on nights where they had doubles at my local course and some of the guys seem like they would openly be douchey to you, or just pretend to be nice.

Solution: I'll just become an ungodly putter!

Over the last few years we came up with a handicapping system that works somewhat as to balance out the teams. (this is currently being implemented at the Riney league on Wednesday)

Basically if you are on a team that wins that night you get a +1 stroke added to your next score. If you are on one of the losing teams you get a -1 stroke. These strokes are cumulative over the season.
So lets say you lost 3 times so far and your partner has 2 losses ...well then your team gets -5 stroke handicap and so on. There is no A pool /B pool and at this point most people hope they get partnered up with a low rated player due to having that handicap added to their scores.

:clap:

$$$

Any time money is involved it changes the game (any game)
If you're playing a casual round, then it's all fun & games. But once a dollar is placed on the table, people change! Some turn into real Jack-holes!
People get all weird when cash $$ is on the line. They forget the random draw part of it. They are jealous of someone who 'get's to play' with the pro.
The fun game now becomes a job
People turn ugly & do & say things because they want the money
It's all about the mighty dollah (to some)

I remember when Big Jerm was in town playing a tourney. He played our friday doubles & I drew his name as a partner. It was great to see the looks on other peoples faces. "Re-draw" echoed loudly on that day :D

Random is random. DB's are DB's. DG is fun. Just ignore the ahole if you get stuck with an ahole. He/she can create their own hell if they want, but don't let 'em suck you in. I'm an am and have been paired with all different types of partners, most were great guys and even better experiences. My first ever dubs tourney(temp course at Brown Deer in like or '05.. a/b pool) was awesome! I got 2 different old timers and learned a lot about DG and the original course at Brown Deer.Another time I got the top local pro at Dretzka for last day of Tues. night leagues:D It was very rewarding because I played great and contributed several drives and made some clutch putts. We took 3rd with -13 and had fun. My personal favorite was the Gowens fundraiser in January when I got paired with a vietnam vet/minister. He was new to DG and we had no chance to win but the conversation was great and I got to do some teaching. These are some of the rounds I remember but I tend to forget about the rounds with aholes. So that's what I say, enjoy the good partners.. forget about the bad.. have fun!;)

I like random draw and don't mind playing with whoever. My only complaint is how is it random when I get stuck with the only douche bag in the group every week?

I agree with the general sentiment that random draw doubles shouldn't be taken seriously, and I really don't think a pro should be coming to random draw doubles to supplement his income. If he is he's a poor judge of risk.
Really? I go there and do take it very seriously - as I said before I never get mad at my partner, I consider it my responsibility 100% to carry a partner to cash/win no matter his skill level -and I use money from leagues to be able to go out on the weekends. It is an important part of having spending money for me. We have a moderately competitive area - lots of guys with a 960-990s skill level. And frankly - I win at least 60-70% of the time. I never miss cash, no matter who my partner is. This past week I had a guy who had never played a league, had been playing for a couple of months only. He gave me 2 shots all round (1 drive, 1 putt). And cashed.

Where's this "risk"?

I like random draw and don't mind playing with whoever. My only complaint is how is it random when I get stuck with the only douche bag in the group every week?

dysfunction03.jpg

Don't know you at all . . . just seemed like an appropriate image :)

Latest posts