• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

The Dye A Day Thread! (Part II)

Status
Not open for further replies.
And now for the disc I spent most of the weekend on. Those tye dyes were just done while I was waiting on this one.

It's Katana from Mortal Kombat on a Champ Katana. I did nearly all the lines for her body with single cuts. I flexed the disc but there were still segments that the dye never got into (perhaps I should get thicker blades for doing single cuts?). There were also 5 or 6 small bleeds while doing the symbol in the background which surprised me, but they are all really small.

That is one sexy Katana!!! She's one of my favs from MK2...Nice dye!! :hfive:

Wow!!! awesome Walters StevieWraithVaughn. I was toying around with an idea doing the plastic bag technique on a Walter White one...I'll get around to it soon. Still dialing in a stencil for it...

I do love that 311 one as well! Lovin the new album!!! :thmbup:

Fix bad Nebula with stencil overlay... kinda made the Dragon stand out 3D... can't really see by pic.

Attachments

• NebulaDragon (2).jpg
    NebulaDragon (2).jpg
    102.6 KB · Views: 92
That is one sexy Katana!!! She's one of my favs from MK2...Nice dye!! :hfive:

Thanks!

I am pretty proud of this one. Mainly bc as I was starting it I was doubting whether it was within my ability, but it turned out to be fairly quick and painless.

Wow!!! awesome Walters StevieWraithVaughn. I was toying around with an idea doing the plastic bag technique on a Walter White one...I'll get around to it soon. Still dialing in a stencil for it...

I do love that 311 one as well! Lovin the new album!!! :thmbup:

Thanks Odyssey. I was pretty happy with the turnout on all of the dyes.

I used saran wrap, but the same idea for most of those dyes.

Love 311, not crazy about the new album, I prefer their old stuff.

Where can i see the entries from last years Okthrowberfest? I thought they were in that sticky but apparently not.

It's been a crazy last few months so I haven't done much, but these are my favorite:
IMG_0416.jpg

A disc that I just finished for my girlfriend of her son. Miss May I's Levi Benton.

On a Blizzard Champion Destroyer.

Attachments

• Levi Destroyer Finished.jpg
    Levi Destroyer Finished.jpg
    129.1 KB · Views: 98
What color and type of dye was used? Black iDye poly?

It was a soak of about 14 hours in about 2 parts Black iDye Poly and 1 part Black RIT with about 1 tablespoon of 95% Isopropyl Alcohol. The Alcohol and combo of dyes seems to be shortening my times with black. While giving a strong deep color.

It was a soak of about 14 hours in about 2 parts Black iDye Poly and 1 part Black RIT with about 1 tablespoon of 95% Isopropyl Alcohol. The Alcohol and combo of dyes seems to be shortening my times with black. While giving a strong deep color.
I'm a little uneasy of using any alcohol on masking... it dissolves the adhesive... but just a little may be okay.

I did this one mainly bc I had the music from "A Link to the Past" stuck in my head for days.

It's an X-out Star Valykrie that I am hoping is a bit more overstable than normal.

Attachments

• triforce.jpg
    triforce.jpg
    86.2 KB · Views: 90
^^^Beautiful work, roggenb3!

Hope you guys are getting your brains storming for your entries in this year's Okthrowberfest! It'll be here before you know it!

Also, please consider donating anything you can to the prize pool. Discs, swag, cash, clothing, towels, anything helps, this contest is run for us and by me. I don't ask help to run it, just to help pay it!

I'm a little uneasy of using any alcohol on masking... it dissolves the adhesive... but just a little may be okay.

Actually the alcohol has little effect on the vinyl adhesive. I do a lot of dyes with just straight alcohol and dye and brush it straight on the open areas. Sometimes pouring alcohol right on disc and vinyl to extend the wet time. Even with some brush movement I've never had the vinyl come up. Now acetone on the other hand will lift vinyl pretty quick. (I use Oracal 631 but want to try 651 because i think it is even tacker which may help with really detail plotter cuts.)

would anyone do a dye by request? im looking for a really cool green bay packers dye on a champion cfr glow aviar driver, maybe a helment, or packers logo, or maybe someone who can get detailed can do up a clay mathews pose? to difficult / out of the question?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts