• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

The Hyzer Flip!

Beef Chief

So I performed my first ever hyzer flip the other day, and it was not intentional. I bought a very slightly beat up DX Wraith this week. I threw it RHBH hard and far, it went flat the 1st 100 ft, faded slightly, then turned, then faded back to finish. Anyway, I have not been able to replicate that since! Thrown 40+ drives with that disc since it happened and cannot replicate that shot as of yet, and I desperately want to have that ability. Do any of you know where I can find a video or some kind of instruction about what you need to do to make it happen? MUCH appreciated!

P.S. I had a headwind 5-7 mph blowing mostly straight on, but maybe 10 degrees to my right on that shot.

There are tons of links on here, just make sure to search a little in the technique threads.
It will come in time. Make sure you look at the Dan Beato vid, hammer drills watch a few drive critiques and see what people say...Most of all just keep getting out and throwing

maybe post your own drives for people to comment on.

learn that shot with a Leopard first. Beat it up a bit then throw it like you are trying to make it turn a corner.

Based on your description that's unfortunately not a hyzer flip, that's what is called an S-Curve.

A Hyzer flip is where you release the disc on a hyzer angle (where the side opposite of your hand points towards the ground), the disc will "flip" upwards to flat then fly straight.

I would try with a Roadrunner or Avenger-SS first, release on a hyzer and get a good snap on the disc and it'll flip up flat for ya. Keep practicing, you'll get it!

learn that shot with a Leopard first. Beat it up a bit then throw it like you are trying to make it turn a corner.

Turn a corner which way? Hyzer or anhyzer? If I throw this disc even slightly either angle it will increase that angle and follow it nearly the entire length of the drive. Which is nice, and I use this disc for long range anhyzer/hyzer shots with success, but I'm so intrigued with this S-shot with my Wraith...

Based on your description that's unfortunately not a hyzer flip, that's what is called an S-Curve.

A Hyzer flip is where you release the disc on a hyzer angle (where the side opposite of your hand points towards the ground), the disc will "flip" upwards to flat then fly straight.

I would try with a Roadrunner or Avenger-SS first, release on a hyzer and get a good snap on the disc and it'll flip up flat for ya. Keep practicing, you'll get it!

Right on man, will do. I've another thread about my specified throw, and people called it a hyzer flip an confused me. Yeah the flip is cake, this S-curve I will die trying to figure out, at least with this Wraith anyway.
I'll check out the other discs, but it'll be a week or so before I should spend money on more discs so I need to make due for now with what I've got.

really it just means you got the disc up to speed. When thrown properly discs will turn and fade depending on thier low speed stability and high speed stability according to thier flight ratings.
What other discs do you have, and how far can you throw?
I'm sure there is something you own that we can reccomend that may suit you better for this particular throw.

Hmm, that may be. It wasn't my farthest throw but it was far for me, maybe 320-350. I threw my beat up DX Valk for 380(level ground drive, not downhill) recently. Wraith I've thrown further but errant so hard to measure. I have a Roc also, which I threw easily 300 or more today over a valley onto the side of the opposite mountain landing about equal in elevation to my throw, but I had some weird help from air in the valley I was throwing over .

Last edited:
the head wind was the key...it made the actual speed of the air the disc 'flew thru ' higher and thus the flight path.

I'm confused.

Are you saying you can't get your Wraith to perform an S curve?

How is it you can throw mid 300s without being able to throw an S-curve?

Am I missing something?

The first time you purposely throw a hyzer-flip is the coolest feeling in the world.

There are tons of links on here, just make sure to search a little in the technique threads.

i did a search for hyzer flip and couldn't find any vids on youtube/google (well, i found 2 that suck...)

and when i search on here, unfortunately, all of the threads end in "use search function, there's 100 threads on this already." so that's not helpful either. can you post a link that shows the flight path of a hyzer flip?

i understand the concept, (i think) throw understable plastic on a hyzer, but i thought the flight path started hyzer, flipped to flat, then kept turning past flat to start the S curve. i'm reading that people use this for tunnel shots, are they just using more hyzer so there's no turn? if that's the case why not just throw stable plastic flat?

I have a Wahoo that is very flippy. In order to get it going straight (and far!), I have to throw it with hyzer at release. If I try throwing it flat, it will just flip way over and turn into a roller... especially if there is any kind of wind. Is that considered a hyzer flip if you have to throw the disc that way to prevent it from becoming a roller?

The only thing a hyzer-flip really means is simply the disc is released from a hyzer (/ RHBH)and flips up flat (__). The more understable or the more you are able to overpower the disc, the more likely it is to go beyond flat. Thats where you will here things like "I hyzer-flip it into a straight flight" or "I hyzerflip it into a turnover" with the latter meaining it kept going right. At least thats my understanding of the symantics

The only thing a hyzer-flip really means is simply the disc is released from a hyzer (/ RHBH)and flips up flat (__). The more understable or the more you are able to overpower the disc, the more likely it is to go beyond flat. Thats where you will here things like "I hyzer-flip it into a straight flight" or "I hyzerflip it into a turnover" with the latter meaining it kept going right. At least thats my understanding of the symantics

so it can mean both, cool, thanks for clearing that up.

So would it be personal preference to throw a hyzer flip instead of throwing a stable disc flat? it seems like it would be the same line. I'm just curious if it provides some benefit i'm not seeing, other than 2 different ways to throw the same shot

So would it be personal preference to throw a hyzer flip instead of throwing a stable disc flat? it seems like it would be the same line. I'm just curious if it provides some benefit i'm not seeing, other than 2 different ways to throw the same shot

IMO its easier to get a straight flight from a hyzer flip to flat (this is commonly known as a flat hyzer or flattened hyzer) than trying to throw a stable disc flat, mainly because releasing a disc with hyzer is easier for most people.

Throwing a stable disc flat is also more likely to fade earlier than a flat hyzer with something a bit understable. Both of these shots take a lot of practice to master.

It is not really the same shot. The hyzer flip should, in theory, go further. You may notice when a disc turns it can bounce and gain some altitude. That = more distance. At least, that is my understanding of it. Also, the flight path of those two lines would not be quite the same.

Latest posts