• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

The Inevitable 2017 Pros Switching Sponsors Thread

Cheering for Val is one thing, but I seriously doubt he's ever cheering for anyone in MPO to beat him, "team" Innova members or anyone else.

Of course he's not. But my point was that Paul made a point to cheer on Valarie because she was an Innova teammate. He didn't have to do that, and it showed some 'team' camaraderie that he did.

Of course he's not. But my point was that Paul made a point to cheer on Valarie because she was an Innova teammate. He didn't have to do that, and it showed some 'team' camaraderie that he did.

Cheering for someone while competing and being happy for someone afterward are two different things.

I agree, but he said "go Val" because he wasn't directly competing with her. But if his girlfriend were competing with Val and they were tied for the lead, who do you think he would be cheering for? ;)

I agree, but he said "go Val" because he wasn't directly competing with her. But if his girlfriend were competing with Val and they were tied for the lead, who do you think he would be cheering for? ;)

So Paul and Val aren't team members because of one hypothetical situation? Weak argument.

I was only told Philo and Jen when I talked to Innova. Cam Todd is on the team, but I am not sure which level. He came back onto the scene just this season and has only been with Innova since later in the year, so I'd be surprised to see him elevated to Star so quickly.

Clarifying question.. Is Bradley essentially dropped or is his sponsorship on hold until his suspension is up?

Clarifying question.. Is Bradley essentially dropped or is his sponsorship on hold until his suspension is up?

Both? As JP told me, he's not sponsored because he isn't playing. But they'll give him any equipment he needs to stay in form while he's off. Not technically part of the team, but still a family member is how I interpreted it. Relevant quote at the end here (unless you read and were further clarifying): https://discgolf.ultiworld.com/2016/12/12/brathwaite-allen-promoted-innovas-top-team-2017/

Both? As JP told me, he's not sponsored because he isn't playing. But they'll give him any equipment he needs to stay in form while he's off. Not technically part of the team, but still a family member is how I interpreted it. Relevant quote at the end here (unless you read and were further clarifying): https://discgolf.ultiworld.com/2016/12/12/brathwaite-allen-promoted-innovas-top-team-2017/

Disappointing decision from a company I otherwise hold in high regard.

McBeth understands the connection between his sponsor and his bank account better than any player ever. Kicking Brad Williams to the curb might annoy him briefly but common sense would prevail.

More annoyed by the sweet spamming of fb from the whole Innova team lol

68735054.jpg

Gotcha, I read but was kinda blurry on whether he was welcome back to the team after his 18 months was up.

Does anyone seriously cheer for team Innova, or any other disc "team"?

In today's disc golf world, yes. Especially since Dynamic and Prodigy have gotten into the manufacturing game (ETA: I'm not blaming them, just noting that they have hardcore following). I've seen many examples of blurring the lines between rooting for the player and rooting for the brand.

I've seen it so much, in fact, that people accuse media members of bias towards certain players BECAUSE of what discs they throw. In my eyes it's all a bit silly. It's totally OK to be a fan of a brand because you like their discs, but it's kinda petty to root against players just because they throw the competitors' discs.

Just my .02 - I like to see great golfers making great shots. The disc is just a tool used along the way.

Disappointing decision from a company I otherwise hold in high regard.

I'm curious as to why you're disappointed? I assume that it's because you don't think it's enough punishment? If so:

I personally think it would be a rather fickle move if any company were to completely disassociate with someone in Bradley's circumstances. I think they've done a great job of managing it, they removed him from the public spotlight while he serves his "time", which is punishment when you're trying to grow a personal brand (and also shows solidarity with the PDGA), and allows them to re-evalate the association down the road.

I think anything more harsh would border on morality policing, which isn't something business owners should be participating in IMHO.

I'm curious as to why you're disappointed? I assume that it's because you don't think it's enough punishment? If so:

I personally think it would be a rather fickle move if any company were to completely disassociate with someone in Bradley's circumstances. I think they've done a great job of managing it, they removed him from the public spotlight while he serves his "time", which is punishment when you're trying to grow a personal brand (and also shows solidarity with the PDGA), and allows them to re-evalate the association down the road.

I think anything more harsh would border on morality policing, which isn't something business owners should be participating in IMHO.

The guy has stepped over the line time and again in terms of his behavior on the course. I can't imagine why any company would want him bearing the torch for their brand. IMHO morality policing of their paid representatives should be expected of any company in public view. Blah blah blah integrity, blah blah blah sportsmanship.

Latest posts