• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

The Inevitable 2017 Pros Switching Sponsors Thread

While theres always an opportunity to act compassionately and sensitively to most any situation in life. Sponsored sports teams exist to promote the brand and impact the bottom line.

Through a skateboard company I was involved with, I lead the negotiations for the team.. My observations from studying skate and other company teams...

- there's generally a 'golden goose' member (in Innova's case it's obviously Paul McBeth) who drives sales of the brand. If you're not the number one company in the marketplace, you can anticipate your golden goose will, at some point, 'move up the ladder' to a bigger brand or, just due the nature of things, the goose can get hurt, find other interests, or burn out. Signature product sales can readily be compared to same or similar products without the goose's name.

- There's a handful of members on the team that have potential to be a golden goose. They may get signature products, but generally at much lower volumes.

We always gave our riders a cut of any signature sales and bonuses for getting the brand in print (magazine) or virally distributed across social networks.

In any case, a rider's 'market pull' factored heavily into our decisions. 'problem riders' to us were those who's demands for sponsorship were not aligned with their 'market pull' (of course, if everyone on the team disliked the member, that would be problem as well) Beyond that, it's down to marketing image - which for a skate company is different that DG. Radical, contrarian or outrageous behavior were not seen largely as problems. Oddly enough, our top rider disdained formal competitions and was able to build his following by rad skating videos alone...

Innova's call, imo, is one of their marketing image. They have a track record of forgiving their player's faults and actions when they apologize - even when others (like the PDGA) aren't structurally ready to do so. Cam Todd negotiating out of his PDGA suspension to play in the USDGC in the early 2000's comes to mind. Innova was ready to let him play in the event regardless of the PDGA's position and the org eventually capitulated on the condition he donate any winnings to charity, if I remember correctly. Their position with BW seems consistent with their past....

Nice contribution, thanks!

While theres always an opportunity to act compassionately and sensitively to most any situation in life. Sponsored sports teams exist to promote the brand and impact the bottom line.

Through a skateboard company I was involved with, I lead the negotiations for the team.. My observations from studying skate and other company teams...

- there's generally a 'golden goose' member (in Innova's case it's obviously Paul McBeth) who drives sales of the brand. If you're not the number one company in the marketplace, you can anticipate your golden goose will, at some point, 'move up the ladder' to a bigger brand or, just due the nature of things, the goose can get hurt, find other interests, or burn out. Signature product sales can readily be compared to same or similar products without the goose's name.

- There's a handful of members on the team that have potential to be a golden goose. They may get signature products, but generally at much lower volumes.

We always gave our riders a cut of any signature sales and bonuses for getting the brand in print (magazine) or virally distributed across social networks.

In any case, a rider's 'market pull' factored heavily into our decisions. 'problem riders' to us were those who's demands for sponsorship were not aligned with their 'market pull' (of course, if everyone on the team disliked the member, that would be problem as well) Beyond that, it's down to marketing image - which for a skate company is different that DG. Radical, contrarian or outrageous behavior were not seen largely as problems. Oddly enough, our top rider disdained formal competitions and was able to build his following by rad skating videos alone...

Innova's call, imo, is one of their marketing image. They have a track record of forgiving their player's faults and actions when they apologize - even when others (like the PDGA) aren't structurally ready to do so. Cam Todd negotiating out of his PDGA suspension to play in the USDGC in the early 2000's comes to mind. Innova was ready to let him play in the event regardless of the PDGA's position and the org eventually capitulated on the condition he donate any winnings to charity, if I remember correctly. Their position with BW seems consistent with their past....

The rouge useful DGCR comment! Very well put sir.

I think more people would be upset if BW were dropped completely by Innova since the 18 month suspension thing has become a running joke. I recently watched a ccdg video and I believe Big Jerm made a crack at the joke IIRC.

What is happening with Jerm and Paige? They get mentioned so often together I wonder if he's having their love child.

I mean, you don't generally see sports teams cut ties with players over suspensions for on-field incidents. Off-field? Sure. However, you will see sponsors drop players of major sports for various transgressions. Which leaves us with this: Is Innova, in this situation, a team, or a sponsor? With disc golf's current structure, I'd say it's a pretty gray area and you could make arguments for both.

Good food for thought there.

They are a sponsor. Period. No grey area. If they were like a team, the implication would be that Bradley (or anyone else) could not continue to be "employed" as a disc golfer without being on the team (or another). But Bradley can continue to seek "employment" (i.e. play tournaments) with or without Innova's assistance. Being sponsored is never a prerequisite for playing in tournaments.

I'm with you 95% here, but technically your distinction isn't mutually exclusive. You can be a sponsor and a "team". The term employment is problematic if you were to extrapolate this as well, but for argument's sake I'll leave that alone.

Theoretically they could write a contract that says in order to stay on the team, you must compete in certain leagues as a team member (i.e. DGWT or DGPT). In that example, with this suspension, he could play other events but not the specified leagues.

Likely? Not in today's game.

Walk in his shoes. How do you know what help he has received? How do you know how hard it is?

Lol... Dude has been around for a while now doing the same BS. Something like what 10 years? No excuse from him or Innova. Wtf does Innova need Bradley Williams ass for? They dont. If i was dave d he wouldnt even have gotten look. Why have someone like that out representing your co? No way in hell here.

Fwiw I have actually corresponded with BW. I decided to stop lol. You have to want to help yourself b4 anything.

Last edited:
Walk in his shoes. How do you know what help he has received? How do you know how hard it is?

You seem to think I don't.

Again, here we are creating a safe space for a guy who is taking it out on others when he plays bad. He seems do be fine when he's winning. People with real problems, well it's sort of 24/7. It doesn't just occur against your card mates or events when you're losing.

Again, I'd think, especially if I had a problem based on a mental issue, not in my control, that I could apologize for being out of control, you know, after I'm more rational. And BW has huge periods of rational behavior, he does interviews, gives long rational responses about how his cardmates are wrong and misunderstood the situation. But he never seems to be able to admit that he created the problem in the first place.

I'd be happy if we could create the same safe space for those he lays into that some are determined to create for him. Oh that's right they need to man up and stop being whimps.

I'd be happy if we could create the same safe space for those he lays into that some are determined to create for him. Oh that's right they need to man up and stop being whimps.

Those ideals don't have to be mutually exclusive. You can feel bad for the people Bradley directs his anger toward while also being compassionate about his own struggles.

I still have a hard time understanding why people are upset about Innova supporting him as a person while not actually sponsoring him as a player.

Enough angry ranting about Brad. Let's talk about the thread's intention, Pros going to another brand... WHO WAS DGWEEKLY and CCDG TALKING ABOUT??? :D

I applaud Innova for not turning their back on Bradley Williams. He has legitimate psychological issues he is working through. The people acting like kicking a basket or bumping into someone are offenses that should result in being exiled from a sport, need to get over themselves. Morality policing is exact what that is. These people were picked on in HS, and so they still carry a chip on their shoulder. They can't stand up for themselves IRL, so they condemn strangers who symbolize those that were jerks to them. Was Bradley in the wrong? Absolutely. Are butthurt loners over reacting? Uhh, yeah.

i cant stand by your whole post because of the half thought generalities i know to be untrue but if you need someone to make similar points along the same lines as your premise lmk.

relatedly im curious how anthon will be received and wonder if rico discs get the same disdain. this said im only in it for the drama. i throw innova because its what i know. i wish everyone the best tbh. lets all shoot low.

i think this glove fits. thanks for that post bud.

The bridge I'd like you to look at is really nice. It's a little old, but it's all stone work, metal cabling and it's got this great pedestrian walkway over the car lanes.

Franchises make economic assessments,; even in the rare cases where they stand by a player, not because of his talent, but because of "concern," it's because they think their image as an organization will benefit from said concern.

I don't understand the lack of cynicism. This stuff happens every day and it's nonstop in the news.

BTW, you can beat your wife, and as long as you've got talent they turn a blind eye. If you become a liability, "can you believe that guy beat his wife?"

All of that is irrelevant. Bradley has a problem. It isn't hard, get help. Problem is, the issue appeared several years ago. Let me see, how's he doing on the getting help thing? Not so good. Now, maybe he's doing something. Maybe Innova knows this and is standing by him. Awesome! Hope so. But if I'm a betting man, and I'm not, they're standing by his win at a major and hoping he's getting help. Me too.

beat
your
wife
lyle?

ok im done again.
merry christmas disc bros.

So is there any news on players switching sponsors? Or does this thread need a name change? I thought the bw stuff was settled after green mountain.