• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

The Inevitable 2023 Pros Switching Sponsors Thread

Brodie hasn't said anything either. Given his history with ultimate and DC it seems like they'd be silly letting him go elsewhere, but if it were a slam dunk extension you'd think it would've been announced already. He has the largest social media following by leap years…I could see another company offering him a nice deal…not so much for his on course play…it's definitely improved…but more or less buying access to his social media followers. Not to mention a sponsor switch would give Brodie the excuse to put out a ton of new custom stamped plastic. I could see Innova chasing him down…their social media is pretty terrible considering they're the largest manufacturer.

I'm not sure how I feel about Brodie. My opinion is kind of biased based on interacting with him at the beginning of him starting disc golf (it wasn't good). That said...

I haven't seen much from HIM....just YT videos with others (like Foundation Nation's Hunter and Trevor). It seems to be rare that there are videos of just Brodie....so maybe his following is dropping?

For me....I don't watch any YT videos solely because Brodie is in them, but I watch ones he is in because of who else is in the video. For example, I'll watch a Foundation Nation video of a round with Brodie in it, but not because he's in it...but because Hunter, Trevor, and/or Konner are in it. I still find Brodie annoying.

So what value does he bring to a brand? Is his disc golf following really that big? Does Discraft really sell a lot of the 'Dark Horse/Freaky' discs?

So Uli for Simon? I did think that the release of the Captain's Raptors was weird since it's not 2023 yet, but I figured that they were trying to get them out separately from McBeth's 6X smorgasbord release in February. I just don't know how to replace the PD and FD for Simon though the Vulture/Anax are close to the PD, nothing is like the FD, unless he throws a Pipeline.

My guess, is that because they named the first run the "2021 Captain's Raptor" and then it released in 2022...they may have intended an earlier release for the original and are now trying to get back on track to once per year at the end of the year.

So what value does he bring to a brand? Is his disc golf following really that big? Does Discraft really sell a lot of the 'Dark Horse/Freaky' discs?

Guessing by the fact that the "team discraft" website is Paige, Paul, Chris Dickerson, and Brodie...I'm going to guess that yes he sells a lot of discs. He doesn't really have "his own" mold like Paige & Paul, but just the Get Freaky zone probably sells more than any other Discraft individual's discs if I had to guess...absent Paul & Paige who have their own mold (some of that being they seem to produce those in large quantities compared to other discs).

My guess for Brodie is there hasn't been any announcement because he's moving up to the Elite Team and they're going to wait to make it an actual announcement. It could also be that he's still negotiating. More than any other player he's seemed pretty vocal about valuing a sponsor who can get him plastic to move. I wouldn't be surprised if figuring that out takes some time...particularly when there's such a glut of Discraft talent who all need to be appeased as well in terms of getting their plastic allotments.

For better or worse (really meaning whether you consider this a compliment or an insult) he's probably THE individual in disc golf who is a high-level talent who is better at selling discs than playing disc golf.

Or here's a wild thought based solely off the timing of his trip.

Maybe he was just visiting family for the holidays?

Could be and most likely is....but it seemed from one of his videos while in Germany he indicated that his wife and son were still in the U.S. If I heard that right, why would you leave your wife and son back home when visiting your family in Germany?

Yes, maybe they felt their son was too young to fly.....but still, wouldn't his family want to see them?

I thought his wife and kid went with him. I also thought he mentioned it in one of his recent videos.

Obviously, I might have misunderstood him and I don't know anything about his family dynamics but it would be odd if he made the trip without them.

Yes, maybe they felt their son was too young to fly.....but still, wouldn't his family want to see them?

It's likely a visa issue. Simon is a German citizen. As far as I am aware, his wife and son are not.
Probably a spur of the moment trip they just couldn't get approved for.

It's likely a visa issue. Simon is a German citizen. As far as I am aware, his wife and son are not.
Probably a spur of the moment trip they just couldn't get approved for.

That or you know, inlaw family... likely to speak German and you know, boring haha. Nothing conclusive there.

Who doesn't get excited when the wife leaves them at home alone to visit her in-laws :D

ThrowaEnvy understands life!
Me personally, I'm eating Chinese food, not talking to people, not watching terrible TV shows and going to bed early. #livinlarge!

Over here it's a seafood fiesta, crab cakes, tuna sandwiches, smoked salmon, the dog also enjoys fish.. the sound of silence because the T.V.s not on all the time, interspersed by my music at loud volume.

I love my wife but there's only so much Jimmy Buffett/ Dr Hook and seafood stink any woman can handle so I really go crazy when she's gone.

Over here it's a seafood fiesta, crab cakes, tuna sandwiches, smoked salmon, the dog also enjoys fish.. the sound of silence because the T.V.s not on all the time, interspersed by my music at loud volume.

I love my wife but there's only so much Jimmy Buffett/ Dr Hook and seafood stink any woman can handle so I really go crazy when she's gone.

that sounds repulsive but i respect the all or nothing

Team MVP players may use bags or carts from other companies that do not make discs.

I was in my local disc shop today and saw something new: A Lone Star Discs bag. The guy working there said they just came out and he thinks they are great.

Does that mean anything? Idk. But it definitely made me think about some of the speculation in this thread! :)

I bach'ed it for a week this fall while the mrs took the kids to visit her sister and BIL. It was great. I did miss them by the end of it but it was a good break. I'm a firm believer in the philosophy that if you can't be happy apart from each other for a bit, you're going to have issues.

I was in my local disc shop today and saw something new: A Lone Star Discs bag. The guy working there said they just came out and he thinks they are great.

Does that mean anything? Idk. But it definitely made me think about some of the speculation in this thread! :)

I just checked out the bag on their site.

The pictures show a Texas flag on one side, and the US flag on the other. I'm pretty sure they have the stars and stripes facing the wrong way though. This might sound trivial, but the reason military uniforms and equipment have the flag "backwards" (stars to the right) when worn on the right side is that the flag should always be "advancing forward." So, a flag flying from a pole that's advancing from left to right would be flying "backwards."

It appears from the picture that the flag side is the backpack wearer's right side. So as the person wearing the backpack advances, the flag should have the stars to the right.

Again, this might sound trivial. And I could be misinterpreting the picture. And yeah, a disc golf backpack is not military issue.

I have not servd in the military. But I grew up being taught "flag etiquette."

Now, please resume the conversation about Simon, Ezra, AJ, Deann, etc.