• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

The Inevitable 2023 Pros Switching Sponsors Thread

To be perfectly honest, other than how happy the players are with their own situation, I could care less who sponsors whom. I just want to see players perform at a high level, and players who are happy and secure seem more likely to do that.

"I just hope they all have fun!"

At this point, even if MVP wasn't planning on signing Simon, they kind of have to now.

I think most people assumed Discraft for AB, but interesting with Paige and Infinite.

At this point, even if MVP wasn't planning on signing Simon, they kind of have to now.
Reminds me of the bit about a shark's weak spot being the snout, so swimmers are advised to punch the shark in the snout. Might have been Eddie Izzard.

Shark: Ow! That really hurt! What did you do that for?
Swimmer: I thought you were going to attack and eat me.
Shark: Well, I have to now. My friends are watching.

Whoops, double post.

But, yeah, I feel like they kind of have to since we're all watching and expecting it.

I have no idea what Simon's agreement is with Discmania and what that projects for long term financially, but given his success last season and that new discs from star players tend to sell well, there seems to be a potential financial upside to changing sponsors. But that's also an argument using normal disc golf business logics, and I'm not sure that logic applies to Simon in same way.

He seems to be slowing down on YouTube some (maybe my perception of this is factually wrong), so who knows what the next phase will be for him in disc golf. But right now would seem to be the right time to move, unless he thinks he is likely to duplicate last season's results.

Wouldn't be surprised to see Simon move.
Discmania has been pushed out of their marketing plan by Simon AND Eagle having so much success.
They are a boutique disc company, but they are being pushed to release so many signature discs and award discs that the market is being saturated with them.
Why? I suspect that DM doesn't have the cash to give Simon and Eagle the salary, so they push extra signature discs to make up their pay. And now Mystery Boxes and signature discs are so over-produced that they can't get rid of them all…
Last, I suspect that they have invested so much into their Mfg plant that they don't have the cash to pay both of these guys what they would earn on the free market.
The DM pond is too small for those two giant fish.

If true, this is a sad day for DM, but they are probably better off with a smaller team at the top.

Last edited:
I just find it hard to fathom. Simon has been synonymous with Discmania forever. I find the two more akin than Paul was to Innova. So to imagine him leaving to go anywhere just boggles the brain.

I don't personally throw any DM. But, like a lot of others, Simon is my favorite DG personality. We are the same-ish age, have children around the same age, and love this sport, so it's fun living vicariously through his success, videos, and overall antics.

My only hope is that he can continue to play well, no matter what he is throwing. Simon on lead card means I am tuned in. So easy to root for.

Simon on his latest vlog, "selling" DM more than usual. This could go either way but with the Ezra speculation, I think Simon is sitting tight.

Haha, it only takes a group people on a message board to read the same rumour on reddit/FB etc and then it's confirmed by "multiple" sources. :p

Ezra to MVP makes a lot of sense with the distance theory though, that would also help build their market share. I kinda feel like there could be a lot of players at discraft wondering if they could do better in a smaller company, somewhere they might stick out from under the PMcB shadow.

"Excited to see Simon throw MVP discs like the Crave, Hex, Envy, and Proxy"

Crave- Axiom
Hex- Axiom
Envy- Axiom
Proxy- Axiom

Interesting that all of MVP's best molds seem to belong to Axiom. When does Axiom decide to start sponsoring people?

My head-canon rn: supposing SL is moving to MVP, there was a leak from inside DM to deflate the impact. Enter Simon's most recent video with full DM regalia; he is keeping the doubt alive before the announcement.

While I don't know if it will be to MVP, there have been signs that Simon is moving on from DM.

From various YouTube vlogs:
1) what he said about the tilt being discontinued.
2) the commentary from Colton M about how the mind bender should have been his disc
3) general tone of Simon's vlogs have been jaded and it seems like he wants a change
4)DM decided to not use a promo vid featuring him and so he used it on his channel
5) the budweiser course vlog seemed really weird and the interaction between Simon and Eagle felt like Simon was grappling with some heavy decisions while Eagle was trying to be a supportive friend

My initial thought before these rumors was that Simon is going to retire but now I don't know...

My head-canon rn: supposing SL is moving to MVP, there was a leak from inside DM to deflate the impact. Enter Simon's most recent video with full DM regalia; he is keeping the doubt alive before the announcement.

While I don't know if it will be to MVP, there have been signs that Simon is moving on from DM.

From various YouTube vlogs:
1) what he said about the tilt being discontinued.
2) the commentary from Colton M about how the mind bender should have been his disc
3) general tone of Simon's vlogs have been jaded and it seems like he wants a change
4)DM decided to not use a promo vid featuring him and so he used it on his channel
5) the budweiser course vlog seemed really weird and the interaction between Simon and Eagle felt like Simon was grappling with some heavy decisions while Eagle was trying to be a supportive friend

My initial thought before these rumors was that Simon is going to retire but now I don't know...

Add to that Simon's trip to Germany....was it to discuss his decision with his family so they aren't taken by surprise? Or to get their input?

I think if Simon leaves DM, it will be a financial decision. He does have a new family and needs to support them. He travels a lot and while he makes money from his YT videos...that and his DM sponsorship may not be enough to actually support his family as well as he would like to be able to do.

Clemons also commented about Paige, AB and Simon with no mention of Ezra, so who knows at this point?

Plus wasn't there something about this big name being in the Top 6?

Last edited:
Just for curiosities sake, what is the latest on Heather Young? Is she coming back? :eek:

"Excited to see Simon throw MVP discs like the Crave, Hex, Envy, and Proxy"

Crave- Axiom
Hex- Axiom
Envy- Axiom
Proxy- Axiom

Interesting that all of MVP's best molds seem to belong to Axiom. When does Axiom decide to start sponsoring people?

You do realize that Axiom is a brand offered by MVP, yes? As is Streamline.

Also, those models aren't MVP's best molds, by any stretch of the imagination.

Are you trolling or just really don't know what you're talking about?

Simon has said numerous times that winning isn't his main driving force. He's just a really likable guy, and his personal branding moves more plastic than his career stat sheet.

It really depends on what he wants out of dg in the next few years. Obviously every manufacturer would love to have him on their team, but somebody is going to have to offer him a package that meshes well with him.

Does he want to tour less? His own disc line? Something else we're not thinking of? Maybe he just wants a guaranteed deal for a ton of cash, fulfill it, eventually retire and not be involved much once he's done playing? He's a unique dude, whoever gets him will be the company that is willing to go outside the box to make something work.

Not sure what my gut says about Ezra. He's looked good and also looked bad at times. No clue how well he's moved plastic for DC. Pairing his practice rounds with Brodie surely has helped his social media presence. He had the hot season basically as an unknown and DC snatched him up for 2 years I believe? I could see him going elsewhere to be a bigger player on a smaller team.

Brodie hasn't said anything either. Given his history with ultimate and DC it seems like they'd be silly letting him go elsewhere, but if it were a slam dunk extension you'd think it would've been announced already. He has the largest social media following by leap years…I could see another company offering him a nice deal…not so much for his on course play…it's definitely improved…but more or less buying access to his social media followers. Not to mention a sponsor switch would give Brodie the excuse to put out a ton of new custom stamped plastic. I could see Innova chasing him down…their social media is pretty terrible considering they're the largest manufacturer.