• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] The mythical Innova ROC

I have multiple Champion Roc3s, multiple Star Roc3s, a couple of GStar Roc3s, a couple of McPro Roc3s, a DX Roc3, and a Metal Flake Champ Roc3. I don't have a Glow Roc3, unfortunately.

All of them are just about the same: straight flight, dump fade. The McPros and DX broke in/are breaking in pretty fast.

Of these, probably my Metal Flake Roc3 is the most overstable of the bunch, as it hasn't broken in much (it's part of my windy weather bag, and isn't taken out on the course as often).

So those who say the Glow Champ is the most overstable, I'm probably going to believe them.

P.S. If you like the Roc3 but would be okay without the bead, get a Champ Shark3 (which is a Roc3 without the bead). IMHO it's more consistently overstable than the Roc3.

I wouldn't say any of my Roc3's have dumpy fade. I have DX Pumpkins, a Mcpro, some swirly Stars from the Ice Bowl, some Regular Champs and glow Champs(2013 KCWO stamp).

The DX are really straight from the start and will get a bit of turn and baby fade. The Mcpro will flip up from hyzer and coast a bit right without fully turning the wing down and will fade a bit left of center. The Mcpros will hold a slight anny beautifully as well and flatten out towards the end of the flight.

The stars are pretty stable and only really turn if I yank it over(form issues :wall:) and same with the normal champ. The glow champ are a bit more stable than that but certainly not near a Gator.

I wouldn't throw any into a headwind over like 15 MPH and I will throw my VIP harp or just jump up to a teebird and take something off of it.

Looking for info on the most overstable version of the Roc3 ...

Is it glow CFR, metal flake, or star? Need a long-lasting, beefy Roc3 to complement my broken in McPro Roc3s.

Bringing this back up. I have close to 60 Roc3s in all different plastics and by far the most stable I have are the firmer Stars with slight dome. They aren't domey and they aren't flat. Just a slight dome in the firmer Star plastic that feels close to old Star. They are kinda hard to find but definitely out there and I feel they are true to the flight numbers of 0,3. Having a few of these has basically bumped the Gator out. After that I put the metal flakes, glows and domey Champs next in stability and the soft Stars just a tick behind them. The McPros are all over the place but I like that I can buy 3 or 4 and they will all have a place in the bag. I picked up a Roc Head Champ that is pretty cool. It's semi gummy and has a ton of HSS but not a lot of fade. Pretty slick weapon in the arsenal.

Bringing this back up. I have close to 60 Roc3s in all different plastics and by far the most stable I have are the firmer Stars with slight dome. They aren't domey and they aren't flat. Just a slight dome in the firmer Star plastic that feels close to old Star. They are kinda hard to find but definitely out there and I feel they are true to the flight numbers of 0,3. Having a few of these has basically bumped the Gator out.

I have two Factory Second Roc3s from the Proshop like that. I think they sold out of them, though. They're not quite as OS as my Metal Flake Roc3, but they haven't lost anything with vigorous use on wooded courses. They are definitely reliable hyzer machines, but are not kicking the Gator out of my bag...

I wouldn't say any of my Roc3's have dumpy fade. I have DX Pumpkins, a Mcpro, some swirly Stars from the Ice Bowl, some Regular Champs and glow Champs(2013 KCWO stamp).

The DX are really straight from the start and will get a bit of turn and baby fade. The Mcpro will flip up from hyzer and coast a bit right without fully turning the wing down and will fade a bit left of center. The Mcpros will hold a slight anny beautifully as well and flatten out towards the end of the flight.

Just so we have our semantics straight: by dump fade, I'm generally meaning what you're calling a baby fade. For example: when I throw my VRoc, it goes straight, then has a gradual, very glidey fade to the left (RHBH throw). My Gator will go straight then "remember" that it has to fade, and so it begins moving left and towards the ground.

Then comes the Roc3. It goes straight, then looks to get to the ground as it starts going left. It doesn't just fall out of the sky as a Nova or Pure does, as it does move the left. Just not as much as the Gator and VRoc, and not as gradually glidey as the VRoc. I hope this explains it, and of course these are my experiences; others' may vary.

Can we have a different thread where we discuss the relative stability of the roc3?

I got a chance to throw a usdgc champ rancho roc today and I think it's one of the best in years. Relatively flat, nicely OS, grippy plastic. Looking forward to bagging it along side my 2006.

I got a chance to throw a usdgc champ rancho roc today and I think it's one of the best in years. Relatively flat, nicely OS, grippy plastic. Looking forward to bagging it along side my 2006.

Wait, are the 2016 USDGC Rocs out yet? I don't see them on DGU or DGV, which is where they usually pop up. Or are you talking about a 2015?

There are some '16's out now. They've been on FB and eBay but the only ones I've seen on DGU were F2's(that I bought). They're on the site, just showing out of stock.

That's interesting; I see the F2's as well now. Usually in the past it seemed like they put up the non-F2's first. Seems like they did release some of them SOMEWHERE, just not DGU or DGV which is where I've bought them in the past. Hopefully some more will become available eventually though.

They released them to/through USDGC partners only, so far.

Ah, I see, that's the thing you can buy on DGU where you pay $50 to be the first in line for them along with a "VIP" seat at the USDGC and a few other perks. Some basically just some scalpers so far who paid to be first in line to buy. I guess that means maybe the generally public will get a crack at them any day then.

Latest posts