• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

The one term that doesn't belong in disc golf

When you use Google Translate on the Description of the Game from other languages you get hole, program, track, lane, fairway, and playing field.

There are alternatives to "hole", but "basket" shouldn't be one of them.

I thought this was an interesting point and something that's bugged me a little over the years. It's a quick read too.

This ball-golf term has no place in disc golf (and yet it's used)
I am shocked that this article wasn't about the use of the phrase "ball golf."

At one point early in the article he used the phrase I prefer - "traditional golf." But then he went away from it and kept saying "ball golf."

Anyway, sorry about the interruption, you may all return to your regularly scheduled disk frolf shenanigans.

Stroke vs. Throw
Swing vs. Throw

Last edited:
For some reason the popular word "track" grates on me.

I think that the correct word is "tract" as in "tract of land", but I just don't like it. It irritates me and I'm not even sure why.

For some reason the popular word "track" grates on me.

I think that the correct word is "tract" as in "tract of land", but I just don't like it. It irritates me and I'm not even sure why.
It is common in golf lingo to refer to a course as a "track", crappy course as a "goat track". It's the path one follows through a course same as a race track.

"Ball golf" and "death putt" both annoy the crap out of me.

It is common in golf lingo to refer to a course as a "track", crappy course as a "goat track". It's the path one follows through a course same as a race track.

"Ball golf" and "death putt" both annoy the crap out of me.
I agree with you about "ball golf" (it should realistically just be "golf") but what annoys you about "death putt"?

I'd never heard "death putt" until now. New band name - called it!
I wouldn't be surprised if the words "putt of death" had come out of my mouth a time or two over the years but I didn't know it was a legit Term.

lotion-it.gif

"Throw it in the hole" has always annoyed me.
"Strokes" as well. I don't stroke my discs.

Yeah it's a sort of golf, but ball golf language should be adapted to fit the reality.

No holes, no strokes, Birdies and aces, YES!

It is melodramatic nonsense.
That's like my specialty. You should have seen me complaining about that vicious course you designed outside the naval museum. But seriously it was a good time and I took like an 11 on the one hole that turns 90° with the little muck pond left of the tee and also birdied that massive one throwing over the valley.

That's like my specialty. You should have seen me complaining about that vicious course you designed outside the naval museum. But seriously it was a good time and I took like an 11 on the one hole that turns 90° with the little muck pond left of the tee and also birdied that massive one throwing over the valley.
Forest Valley is a beast from the long tees for sure. eventually we will cut down a few more trees but likely not very many nor very soon. I seriously debate calling 16 Gold to Long a par 6.

Latest posts