• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Drivers] The RDG Tyrant: fairway driver

Just got mine out of the mailbox, hoping to get a chance to test out this upcoming week. Site was not joking about how flat these are, mines a puddle top

Yeah the factory definitely got these to be domeless. If the puddle is uncomfortable for you we can swap it out no problem.
I'm loving my puddle top though as my most. Os Tyrant. I even drew a cow on it... Lol

I received my Tyrant yesterday and have spent two days testing this lizard out.

Yesterday was rainy, humid, and disgusting. However, I took this out to a more technical course in the area and tested it against a Amber Raptor, Prodigy 400s F2, and C-Line FD2.

All max weight. Puddle-topped 175g Tyrant. Board-flat 175g Raptor. Mildly high PLH 172g F2. And slightly domey 175g FD2.

In the rain, the Tyrant looked like it would be the most slick gripped, however, that was hardly the case. The C-Line (Champ) FD2 was by far the worst grip, then the Amber Raptor, 400s F2, and shockingly, the Ozone version of Armor is much grippier than Daredevil or Gateway Armor.

As far as flight in rain with still wind, the Tyrant and F2 flew nearly exactly the same. First 340' hole landed within 10' three times. The Raptor was quite a bit shorter, around 300' every time and further to the left, and the FD2 was straighter, but about the same length as the Prodigy F2 and Tyrant.

I threw these four drivers exclusively today for four of the holes and had very similar results. Today, the wind picked up and the rain stopped. So, I went to a notoriously windy course in Grand Rapids - right by the highway, across from the airport. Wind demons abound! There was a sustained headwind of about 15mph with 20-30mph gusts consistently on the 4 holes I was testing on. The first hole is only 280', but with the strongest headwinds. The Raptor fought out like a champ and ended right between myself and the hole - about 25' short. I grabbed the F2 and it turned over a little, but fought back and ended a bit right, but pin-high and 30' right. I replaced the FD2 with a Teebird and she flipped right over and ended about 100' right of the pin. Then, I took the Tyrant, lined up, took a firm grip and ripped that pink beauty right at the basket! Even in strong wind, it flew DEAD straight without turning over at all. Just before the pin, she started to fade a bit and the wind kicked her dead into the dirt. I was a little disappointed, but with these winds, I cannot place any blame on the disc...

Until I reached the pin. Thrown flat, directly at the pin. 280' out into solid 20mph headwind +gusts, and it landed about 5' past the pin just to the left. Talk about a wind fighter! Most discs would have turned over and flown too far right or would have been squashed by the wind and thrown down much shorter. I was impressed in the wind to say the least.

Move along three more holes into the same headwinds and gusts, and see the same thing replicated. If thrown high, like and disc, the wind will toss it around. However, if thrown flat and straight, the Tyrant acts as if there isn't even wind present. All the while, without having to hold onto a vicious fade in calm conditions. Somehow, the Tyrant has a strong, but not overbearing fade without wind, but still holds true when you're facing a stiff headwind.

Both in the still air, and the strong breeze, the Tyrant proved to be a great addition to my bag. Just as reliable as my favorite Prodigy F2 in the calm, but held up better in the wind.

Slam dunk, RDG. I'm sorry to hear Big Country received a dud, but I can assure everyone, this is exactly as Jamie has promised. A Tee-Banshee at it's finest.

Did you get out and throw it Q?
Anxiously awaiting more folks who love this disc as much as we do.
It has landed with the PDGA testing office so approval is close.

Didn't have time today, unfortunately. Definitely going to hit the course during my lunch break tomorrow! I will report back!

You guys are really making me want one of these.. I just received my first Rdg discs and love the feel, a fossil scale and chalky serpent . What is the plastic like for the Tyrant? Going to wait go for that killer stamp I saw on Instagram though, me thinks...

You guys are really making me want one of these.. I just received my first Rdg discs and love the feel, a fossil scale and chalky serpent . What is the plastic like for the Tyrant? Going to wait go for that killer stamp I saw on Instagram though, me thinks...

The Armor plastic a slightly softer, worn in Star.
We intentionally left the mold unpolished so it has less of a glossy feel than most new discs. We are really proud of the blend (HUGE thanks again to Ozone Discs for creating the formula)

I like the metal flakes. You dont even notice it until you're out in the sunlight but it's pretty bright.

That bubblegum pink is a great color too. Very visible. Typical thin flight plate from RDG. I think that really helps the grip,especially in a tight power grip.

I like the metal flakes. You dont even notice it until you're out in the sunlight but it's pretty bright.

That bubblegum pink is a great color too. Very visible. Typical thin flight plate from RDG. I think that really helps the grip,especially in a tight power grip.

Yeah I was waiting for someone to pick up on the glitter sheen.

The Tyrant definitely has a lower profile feel than a Teebird due to the flat top. Quite comfortable for a power grip and fh grip.

So I threw mine some more this morning while I took my dogs for a walk. I think I'm getting a little more used to the disc. Im still getting an audible *snap* out of my hand and am getting a little high speed wiggle before straight then that really dumpy fade.

I can not get it about as far as the Raptor if I put a small anhyzer angle on it. The Ptero still goes way farther. I think the Ptero has substantially more glide than the Raptor or Tyrant.

Because that's one of things that's striking me about the Tyrant....it comes out kf the hand fast and easily,but it really seems there is not a lot of glide. I would say it's because of the Tyrants overstability, but the Raptor is just as OS, but has mire glide. Where I really see it is on my favorite shot, the BDH (Big Dumb Hyzer)...whereas with the Amber and Armor Flex Raptors I can spike hyzer or get that long,sweeping hyzer, the Tyrant apikes well but stalls out too early on the sweep.

I did try some forehands and the Tyrant is awesome for that. The Raptor,at least in Amber plastic, for me is almost too OS for forehands...at least for me it just fades too quick. Obviously I have a really OAT-ie forehand and the Tyrantbdeals with that really well. On sidearm throws, both touch and with power, I was getting the Tyrant noticeably farther than the Raptor...much different than backhand. The Tyrant is also great feeling for forehand. The Brinster Bird I used to have had just enough dome to feel weird in a forehand grip. The Tyrant, with its sunken top, feels great.

I think the Tyrant is pretty obviously in it's own category: it is a very different disc than the Raptor and Ptero. The Raptor and Ptero are pushing into that "control driver" range where the Tyrant is absolutley a fairway driver.

When the stamped ones are released, I'm going to take this unstamped Tyrant and give it some artifical abuse to see how it flies after it's truly beat in. Im not sure if I'll be able to "beat in some glide" like you can on some discs. This blend of Armor plastic seems pretty durable. I did hit a tree with it (albiet at the end of flight when the disc was already going pretty slow) and it didn't leave any permanent mark...in other words, it will be pretty difficult to get a good Tyrant cycle going for now.

Nice update Andy.

The Tyrant definitely can handle some mean oat. My cousin Michael is a newer FH player with sloppy form and a ton of snap. On Instagram we posted him snapping the Tyrant on an anny and it fighting back and finishing hyzer after flexing for a mile

My artificially seasoned one is a thing of beauty. I didn't so much beat it in as I tuned the rim like it used to be discussed in the mvp threads. Now the fade is delayed and it has picked up some glide.

I can kill nearly all fairway lines now with our three drivers. Raptor for knife hyzer, Tyrants for straight to fade work and Ptero for turns, shaping or high glide shots. I stand by my claim that RDG will never offer a distance driver so I am very confident offering these three drivers as our longest flying molds.

Major props to Steve from Ozone Discs. Without his help and knowledge, the Tyrant would never have come to life.
If you haven't yet checked out Ozone Discs, do so quickly. They have a ton of design talent and with DGCR support, will change the game with their ideas.

Here is a picture of our second Tyrant 3D print compared to the production run. As you can see, they're amazingly close in terms of PLH and contours. Very neat to compare those early designs against our final product.

Another round down today where the Tyrant did all of my heavy lifting. I nabbed a bunch of birdies today from nearly all angles, forehand backhand and thumber.

Attachments

• IMG_20160606_130210.jpg
    IMG_20160606_130210.jpg
    57.8 KB · Views: 27
I finally had a chance to toss the Tyrant around a bit this afternoon. My initial impressions are very positive.

Grip: When I first opened the package and saw that they were puddle-topped, I was a little bummed because I was hoping for flat-tops. However, they feel awesome in the hand and were giving me a clean release every single throw. No grip-lock or early release (that's what she said) issues at all. As I mentioned before, the rim reminds me a lot of the Rival. I dig it.

Plastic: Very nice plastic! Jamie described it as well-worn Innova Star plastic, and I would agree with that description overall. Maybe slightly softer than most Star discs you will find out there. It is a smooth and flexible blend, but it offers enough tackiness for a solid grip. It was about 90 degrees outside and they weren't too gummy in the heat. We will see how they feel once the full-on Texas summer kicks in over the next few months.

Flight: (For reference, I throw about 380' actual golf distance. So - probably a pretty average arm).

The Tyrant flew with more HSS and a slightly stronger fade than my max weight flat Pinnacle Rival. If released flat, the Tyrant would lock onto a straight line for the majority of the flight, and then finish with a strong fade. At my arm speed, I couldn't coax any turn out of the Tyrant with a flat throw.

It consistently flexed out of anhyzer releases, fighting back hard with a reliable fade. I liked this shot a lot, and it definitely executed it better than my Rival.

The Tyrant held hyzer lines very well, which is no surprise. Nice and smooth. It pretty much stayed put when it hit the ground. No big skips, which I assume is in part due to the flexible plastic.

I threw a few thumbers with the Tyrant...awesome! It hit similar thumber lines as my Sexton Firebird, but with an extra 15-20' of distance each time. Loved it.

I failed to test any forehand shots, so I will have to update later with some FH results.

Overall: I want to throw it a bit more (I was limited to just my lunch break today), but I have a strong feeling the Tyrant will make it into my bag. There definitely are times when I wish I had something slightly more HSS than my Rival, but longer and not as beefy as my Firebird. I believe the Tyrant will fit the bill perfectly.

My initial impressions are that this is a very solid offering from RDG. I think the puddle-top and the soft plastic may turn some folks off initially, but it is definitely working for me. I also look forward to seeing this mold produced in some stiffer plastic blends.

Nice job and congratulations to Jamie & Co. on another great release!

Last edited:
I can't wait til there are some White and Blue Tyrants. I will surely pick some up. Great to see some reviews out there. I'm trying to get my buddies on board with this thing. One of my most competitive buddies doesn't even own a fairway driver. I've told him how this is a BIG piece missing in his bag, I think he'd like the tyrant and an FD for fairways.

Just got mine in. It is a puddle top for sure. Feels great in the forehand grip though. Can't wait to try it out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Went an threw a round using the Tyrant a lot.

For me, it flew a lot more like a Banshee then a Teebird. I also have a noodle arm. I quite liked it on the forehand. No turn. The fade may be a bit more penetrating then a Banshee though. I might end up replacing my Star Viper with it. I'll give it a few more rounds.

The plastic is nice especially if you like Star plastic. I'd love to see a baseline plastic version.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

All RDG round

Some decent Tyrant shots here...parked two backhands and one forehand with it. Thumber didn't go so great...:sick:

GREAT video Andy. Love seeing these things fly through the CO air.
You seem to click nicely with the Ptero and Tyrant for tee work. The Stego also had some great beef lines in there.

While weighing the discs Josh found a few 166g Tyrants and they are really neat. Same shape and feel but a little bit more workable off the shelf. I hope to get our factory running lighter weights on the next batch. I think the 166g would be a sweet spot flyer for the majority of players, especially when paired with a more OS max weight.

Some decent Tyrant shots here...parked two backhands and one forehand with it. Thumber didn't go so great...:sick:

Do you even lift, bro? :D

Do you think the Tyrant flies more stable due to the CO air?

Do you even lift, bro? :D

Do you think the Tyrant flies more stable due to the CO air?

Thats possible for the low speed portion of flight. Ive found that high speed stability isnt really effected (affected?) that much at elevation. It doesnt turn Teebirds into Banshees, in other words.

Well I got out for some field practice with my (two) new Tyrants today. The Tyrant is interesting. Mine are flat to ever so slightly puddle topped. Combined with a fairly shallow rim, this gives it almost the inverse feel of a plus mold rim. Because the puddle top is pressing in on your fingers, it almost feels like the rim is slanting inwards (rather than outwards like a plus mold would). I think if there were a slight dome instead of the slight puddle top, it would probably feel a lot like a Teebird, but as is, it feels somewhat unique in the hand (in my experience at least). The plastic feels nice. It's like a slightly softer, gummier, more flexible Star (not quite as flexible as GStar, but gummier than a lot of GStar).

I threw these side by side with a 2013 AJ Tour Series Star Teebird, a 2013 Brinster Teebird, a 2016 Sexton Color Glow Firebird, a CFR Star Teebird, and a Pumpkin Star Thunderbird. The AJ, Brinster, and Sexton are all in my regular bag. In the case of the AJ and Brinster, they've been in my bag going on 3 years now, but even though they've seen significant action, they are both still straight to fade machines. The Brinster is still almost as OS as when I got it honestly; it has more fade and skip than the AJ, which has gained some glide from when it was new.

Out of all of those, I think the Tyrant was close to the most overstable disc I threw. It definitely competed with the Sexton Firebird for overstability (granted the Sexton FB is closer to a Star FB than a champ in stability). If I released it with any amount of hyzer, it stayed on that line to the ground even when I had some bad releases with a little OAT. However, unlike the Sexton or Brinster, the Tyrant didn't get any skip. Because of the flexible plastic, it tended to hit and stick where the others would skip. In order of stability I'd line the discs I was throwing today up like this (most OS to least):

Sexton FB
Tyrant (about as stable as the FB but a little slower and thus maybe slightly more workable)
Brinster Teebird
AJ Tour Series Teebird
Star Thunderbird
Star Teebird

For me the verdict is still out on bagging the Tyrant. I need to throw it more and get used to the way the puddle top meets the rim. I'm also really curious about how much glide these will pick up as they beat in. People say that domier discs get more glide (something about more air being under the disc which is probably completely wrong but I digress). However, I have an old beat in Pig that has a puddle top and it's definitely gained glide (and even a little high speed turn) as it's beaten in. So I know that super OS molds, even puddle topped ones, can gain glide and distance as they beat in. The Tyrant is not an out of the box Teebird replacement. It might be an out of the box replacement for a Banshee or Firebird if you want something like that that doesn't skip. I think honestly it's even more OS than the Brinster Teebirds I have thrown, although it's been a while since I threw a fresh one so I admit that my opinion may be shaped by the one I've been bagging for a while. I'm going to continue to throw the Tyrant in field practice and casual rounds and see how it beats in over time. It's definitely a good disc and I think unique in feel and in the way it can be extremely overstable while still not skipping.

Interesting that you weren't getting any skip...my Tyrant skips way more than my Amber Raptor even. Check out my teeshot on hole 1 in the above video...and that was coming in on a steep hyzer on to softiah sand...not hardpack at all.

Other than that, my assesment matches yours.

Your write up is waaaaayyyy better though

Latest posts