• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

The Redundancy of reviewing Top Rated Courses

I don't do many reviews mainly for the reason the OP suggests....most has been said about a course. But if I want to, do I need to check with the OP to see if it's okay? This is a living site, people come and go, time passes, courses change. More and more, people are traveling all over the country to play courses, which keeps the reviews from locals in check as well as adding perspectives greater that just local or regional. That's how you get closer to a true average rating for a course and move towards eliminating biases.

Yea all this and if you review a course honestly (like Idlewild) you get hammered with unhelpfuls. So what is the point. Just let the locals have their inflated 4.75 course and move on to less reviewed or changing courses.

Not sure what you mean considering one of the recent(ish) reviews gave it a 5 but has 1/23 thumbs up... I only thumb down a review for the rating if its well outside the average. Like the guy who gave Idle a 1 because its "too hard".

Or like when some local gives his completely flat, lightly wooded, no tee pad/sign 6000ft course a 5.
Personally, I would rate it 4.25 if you included the "bonus" holes. If we are talking about just the OG 18 I might give it the 4.75 that the average would indicate.

...I don't do reviews, can you even give a course the .25 or does it have to be .5?

Last edited:
.5 incriments

A course or holes could change over time so a fresh perspective is always a welcome addition. Also, like some people have already mentioned, reaffirming that a course is good (or still good) is never a bad thing.

As far as what might be in it for you (besides helping out your fellow disc golfers and maybe getting a free mini) is I'm also going to try to put together a course recommendation thing that will be based on reviews. That way if you're traveling, you can see a list of courses the site thinks you might like that you haven't played yet. So if you were looking to get accurate results for that, it's in your interest to review courses that you like/don't like as it'll increase the pool of results.

Yes, the redundancy of good reviews counteracts things like the review from Tom Z on Selah Ranch - Lakeside. He rated it 3.5 discs after rating Riverside Park in Brownwood, TX 3.5 discs and Rivery Park in Georgetown, TX 3.5 discs... while all on the same trip. This kind of stuff is laughable at best. By the way... he also rated Selah Ranch Creekside at 3.5! What a maroon... as Bugs Bunny would say. So, rate the course. It does mean something as long as you're honest.

As for Timg sss point, Sidwinder22 came down to Texas to play our courses during the massive drought we had. The courses were in bad shape and he said so. To add insult to injury, it rained on the bare black clay we have in the DFW area and it's slicker than (fill in the blank) and messy and nasty and a lot of other bad things. It was the luck of timing. (It's great down here now, but we lost a LOT of trees to the drought. The grass covering the clay makes for much better footing and a lot better time playing).

Time changes things, but stinko reviews are just that. Tom Z wrote all his reviews in 2017. They stink.

DG Course Reviews should be used as a tool to better inform others of courses they love or hate... its only an opinion of a fellow disc golfer. Before I search out a new course to play I always read the reviews to give me the best chance of finding a course that I might enjoy playing. Over time I discover like minded reviewers that help guide me on my journey to find the perfect course. Many times it's not how many reviews a course has but who reviewed it. I say the more reviews the better...so review on fellow disc golfers.

PS. I still haven't found the perfect disc golf course but it's been a great journey.

Stick around awhile. You'll see some of the top courses get reviewed right out of the top 25. Those of us who've been around awhile remember The Woodshed, Highbridge Granite Ridge, Whistler's Bend, Milo McIver, Warwick...all top 10 courses that aren't in the top 25. You'll also find some courses that have held their own for a long time (the Selah courses, Maple Hill, Highbridge Blueberry, and Moraine have been in the top 25 as long as they've been around).

So yeah. Reviewing the top courses matters.

As for Timg sss point, Sidwinder22 came down to Texas to play our courses during the massive drought we had. The courses were in bad shape and he said so. To add insult to injury, it rained on the bare black clay we have in the DFW area and it's slicker than (fill in the blank) and messy and nasty and a lot of other bad things. It was the luck of timing. (It's great down here now, but we lost a LOT of trees to the drought. The grass covering the clay makes for much better footing and a lot better time playing).

Time changes things, but stinko reviews are just that. Tom Z wrote all his reviews in 2017. They stink.
The mud didn't affect my ratings. It was epic though. :gross:

I was thinking this exact thing. I assume he is talking about the Top 10 as he mentioned Flip City. For the most part, I don't even pay much attention to the Top 10. I only care about the new up and coming top courses.

I tried to update one in South Dakota, the Powerhouse Ally but my first review did not go through or at least did not stay. It has the new style of Mach III's in blue for the 18 hole course with alternate tee pads and Pins from original Mach III set in 2000's, a Practice hole with smaller tee single pad and a Mach II with an old top sign from the original set of 9 Mach III with a P on it that came with the second set of top numbers the bought for the Original Mach III's. I and others do not know the length of the practice hole but it is almost long enough to be hole 19. It was 9 holes in 2004 till 2007 then we got another 9 for holes 9-17 and removed the original 9 numbers and got new ones for the course, well the South Dakots State Park division in 2007 did that to the original 9 and got the grant for the second nine that were designed by a guy who was 2 grades above me in school and was in the 10th grade. Now I helped with second set of 9 and the 18 alternate tee pads. Designed on hole in the 9-17 set as well as gave input on a hole that a few days out of the year at that state park, for disabled wheelchair hunters one for wild pheasant, other for Deer. Other then that hole having a grill cover on it during that time of year the course is a really nice 18 hole almost 19 with the Practice hole Basket the local Club bought last year as well as the club chipping in the cost of the basket beyond what a standard Mach III basket would cost to have the nice blue baskets. The in town course Steamboat now has the tops of the baskets Mach III with the bottoms and pole from the DB-5 baskets. So now we have Mach III baskets essentially at both courses to have top tournament tier baskets. Not that anything more then B tier events happen in the area.

I tried to update one in South Dakota, the Powerhouse Ally but my first review did not go through or at least did not stay.

Give it another shot, it was definitely not deleted.

Casey do you have the main profile login set to keep you online? If you don't and take to long, it will log you out... Happened to me the only time I tried to review a course.

Casey do you have the main profile login set to keep you online? If you don't and take to long, it will log you out... Happened to me the only time I tried to review a course.
I set it up so it always leaves you logged in now so I don't think that was the issue unless he did this a very long time ago.

I set it up so it always leaves you logged in now so I don't think that was the issue unless he did this a very long time ago.

Same first time it was bad but I need info I don't have as the post just have the old pins not the alternate ones I don't think anybody knows the alternate except the one guy who moved and did all the work for the 2016 South Dakota State Disc Golf Championship, and the scorecard has only the main tee pad on it, some of the post are missing the numbers on them for distance. The same could be said for the Steamboat course but it is etched into a scorecard for the only tee and pin setup We had for the last ice bowl played at Steamboat that my Dad organized in 2008 for early 2009. Now I just need somebody from my town to know about this website, so they can post quality pictures of the Powerhouse Ally Course. I do not have that technology, yet.

Last edited:
Over 5 min limit
I did update more on Powerhouse Ally. I even did the Steamboat course which was saying it was still grass now Concrete and homemade baskets when from day one they were DB-5 second set of chains, now the DB-5 with top parts being from a Mach III. I did update more to correct the designers of the course to Jay Blount, Art Smith, And Zack Smith and Casey smith. The other course Powerhouse I need the info for the alternate tee and pins. I might try looking on PDGA seeing if they updated the Powerhouse Ally better, one guy I know a Now friend thanks to disc golf might have updated that course on their, he probably does not even know about this website or got trolled off of here in the very beginning.

What point does reviewing a Top Rated Course with plenty of recent reviews serve. We all know Flip City is great, etc etc. I can see if the Course hadn't been reviewed in awhile, but week after week of 'This Course will challenge every shot in your Bag', well, this we know..

There is an inherent generosity to the human spirit, and one of its faces is the face of the reviewer. People are usually just trying to be helpful when they finally get their turn to share their personal perspective.

Perhaps one answer to this thread's title is, "redundancy" is not always a bad thing.

There are safety systems, and other systems, where redundancy protects against an isolated failure, and it works that way here, too.

Over 5 min limit
I did update more on Powerhouse Ally. I even did the Steamboat course which was saying it was still grass now Concrete and homemade baskets when from day one they were DB-5 second set of chains, now the DB-5 with top parts being from a Mach III. I did update more to correct the designers of the course to Jay Blount, Art Smith, And Zack Smith and Casey smith. The other course Powerhouse I need the info for the alternate tee and pins. I might try looking on PDGA seeing if they updated the Powerhouse Ally better, one guy I know a Now friend thanks to disc golf might have updated that course on their, he probably does not even know about this website or got trolled off of here in the very beginning.

I always write my reviews in Excel, then when I'm ready to post them, just copy and paste into the form. That way, I can take my time writing them, go check something if I need to and just save the Excel file each time.

I always write my reviews in Excel, then when I'm ready to post them, just copy and paste into the form. That way, I can take my time writing them, go check something if I need to and just save the Excel file each time.

The first Time I had actual Internet problems when posting and info was gone. I did do a better job the second time. Thanks though.

Is that sign of you posting avatar real?

Last edited:

Latest posts