• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[MVP] The Servo - Fairway Driver

Lost my servo in a tourney in the snow today. Should have been a 5 with the lost disc but then I 'faux dueced' the super tough hole on the re throw to walk away with a pretty amazing P4. Unfortunatly though it was on the second hole of my singles round and it went to combine with being out of practice to get me shook up and proceed to shoot a rough 9 stokes off the pro hot round. Definitely need a replacement though.

Lost my servo in a tourney in the snow today. Definitely need a replacement though.

bummer. fwiw as my 167 is breaking in, im pretty sure its loosing hss first. sometimes tough to say with swirlling winds and bad footing, but i think my next one will be in the 170's. which also means ill prob just get a max weight switch.

This is really the tale of two days. I bought a 171 gr servo on Friday. My first impressions were A. Not as long as the teebird/Eagle/ Patiot/rival revolving door that I have in my bag. B. that for as straight as it seemed, it had a sharp, distinct fade. Day two was where I had the AHA moment. For me, this disc is money in the 270 to 300 ft zone. For as odd as the flight was yesterday, the flight today was perfect. I parked 4 of nine holes from 270 to 300 ft. Typically these would be long roc shots, or soft patriot shots. But the servo is the very definition of control driver. It is a plus rim, but in the warmth of florida, the neutron feels PERFECT in the hand. And, honestly Eagle L is probably a good comparison. Slightly beat up DX eagle X's fly like a dream, and the servo felt just like this with a very reliable dump at the end. The fade was not wild. The disc is very straight with a soft high speed turn. But, when it is done flying, it goes sharply left to the ground. Once dialed in, it was incredibly easy to range. For the record, I can get pro wraiths and PPD's to 350 and Teebirds close to that. The servo fits a tweener category for me, which will equal more deuces. And, honestly, it's nice to support, such a hard working company.

Nice review!

Seems like MVP discs sometimes have a short 3-4 round break in period before they "get right", not sure if its the over-mold settling in or what?.. but they always change a bit initially and then stay that way. Could be shipping warp i guess.

The 300' mark has been the money spot on the low speed fairways from MVP for me as well. If you haven't already tried the Resistor, its a beefier flight that doesn't turn over and has stronger and more lateral fade, i find its my most accurate disc as far as ranging when i have a open shot at the basket, nothing can get closer.. Servo alongside this and the flippy Switch is going to make for an interesting Spring :)

tried it on the course after reading this, not so sure i agree, but if it works for you so be it

171 not sure how much it matters, but also I'm in Denver (thin air). Being such a flat top disc, it just seems to wait much longer to break right. Played CHU in Denver. Hole 12 is listed as 255' from the black tee to the current position and I hit the building behind the basket which is probably 25' past it. I couldn't do that with any other disc in my bag.

I've thrown other people firebirds, I like my destroyer for harder right breaks, I like thumbers with lots of discs for various shapes - but I've never had a disc thumb so straight for so long.

I've had light blue 169 for a few weeks now and it still needs a lot of breaking in. It has very little, almost none, high speed turn and a solid 2 fade.

My 1st volt was weirdly overstable for the first couple of months I had it but now it's butter. I'm hoping for the same with the Servo.

It's actually just like my Resistor but not as overstable.

I guess I'm wanting to have 6 Drivers in my bag.. Volt, Shock, Amp, Servo, Switch, and Resistor.. Will they all have uses. I am very comfy with the Volt, Shock, and Amp but have been wanting true fairways so will those other 3 complement well?

I'm around 325 with the Volt class generally, maybe longer in a field going all out, but on the course 325s probably top end. So, I see more overlap than guys that are getting Volts out to the 400ish range. In other words, I wont NEED to bag all 6 FW molds. (Ha, doesn't mean I won't.)

What I'm finding with all these rollouts so far this year is (not to mention I'm coming around on the Tangent, which is threatening my mid arrangement,) my whole set up is in disarray. I'll be doing some regrouping.

Part of me is ALMOST hoping that, since I'm not getting everything the Volt class has going on with mediocre power, that the DDs are something I won't have to lie awake at night about for a while...ALMOST.

Part of me is ALMOST hoping that, since I'm not getting everything the Volt class has going on with mediocre power, that the DDs are something I won't have to lie awake at night about for a while...ALMOST.

Yeah, but the DDs are going to be available in lower weights than the Volt class. That opens it up to a whole new market of players, including those who might be struggling with the Volt class in higher weights.

Personally, I am sticking with the Servo class until the DDs come out, then I plan on adding a minimum weight DD for max distance.

FWIW I don't think weight difference will make up for speed if a player cant handle the volt already. not sure a 150 class 11 speed is going to be any better but yes it does open up more room for picky buyers for sure :D

But can see many doing what you will be with the servo/DD's. I am the other way around with no servo but volts!

It does make a difference. However the distance challenged such as my self may still not get a distance driver to fly the way it is designed to, a lower weight can at least make it useful to us.

Yeah, but the DDs are going to be available in lower weights than the Volt class. That opens it up to a whole new market of players, including those who might be struggling with the Volt class in higher weights.

Personally, I am sticking with the Servo class until the DDs come out, then I plan on adding a minimum weight DD for max distance.

Yeah, good point, and who am I kidding, I'm sure I'll be grabbing more than one of each, LOL.

And when I really think about it, I think my deal with the Volt is, I'm still adjusting to the mold tweak that seems like it happened once the Servo class started hitting shelves.

Yeah, good point, and who am I kidding, I'm sure I'll be grabbing more than one of each, LOL.

And when I really think about it, I think my deal with the Volt is, I'm still adjusting to the mold tweak that seems like it happened once the Servo class started hitting shelves.

Are you talking about the New Volt changes that happened when they started running them in proton?

It does make a difference. However the distance challenged such as my self may still not get a distance driver to fly the way it is designed to, a lower weight can at least make it useful to us.

This was exactly what I was going to say. We may not get the full potential out of it, but I know I could bomb an Air Renegade a hell of a lot further than a BioFuzion when the weight difference was about 10 grams. I'd take a 157 or 158 Inertia and hope I could do more with it than a 168 Volt.

Are you talking about the New Volt changes that happened when they started running them in proton?

Totally. The 'newer' 0 HSS feel. I had 2 "older run" Ns that I'd had since pretty early in the release, and just recently lost one and replaced it with what wound up being a very flat high PLH Lt Blue N. (I posted some comparison pics a while back, in the Volt thread methinks.)

I'm still a bit inconsistent 'hitting' the hit, so sometimes I can get a near Shock like line from it. It's not just the HSS, it's that, depending on how solid my form is, (or just powered down/tight line type shots) I get a kind of wide margin as to when the fade kicks in. Ditto this new max wt. E Volt i got. I knew better than getting an E @175 (and not expecting the beefier end of the Volt spectrum,) but it's like this ice sea-green color, had to pull the trigger!

Anyways, that's why I'm loving the Servo, it has the same HSS across a wider power window, for me. And really, there's nothing wrong with the 'new' Volt, other than I think some subconscious part of my brain is used to the "other" Volt flight when I'm throwing, and that part is like "do what?"

I'm just getting my head around the idea of using the Amp the way I was using the Volt previously.

I think some subconscious part of my brain is used to the "other" Volt flight when I'm throwing, and that part is like "do what?"

I Know exactly what you mean, its a different disc fresh out of the box. What they did was increase the HSS and LSS and so the volt starts out more stable, but as it beats in you slowly get that FR volt feel back, which is nice because it stays like that for MUCH longer now. At the end of last season i was finally getting one of the New Volts beat in enough to see the turn that the first runs had out of the box, although the fade still isn't quite as forward as the first runs, i feel there's more distance control.

Crush it into a wall or some trees for a while and it will give in :)

Last edited:
Crush it into a wall or some trees for a while and it will give in :)

A few weeks ago I got a fresh Volt and spent a couple of snowy movie-watching evenings flexing the rim downward with both hands round and round the disc every couple of inches. The first throw I made with that thing was the same exact feel and path of the one I've had in my bag for 5 months and used pretty consistently. Same exact PLH and everything as best as I can tell.

I'm working another fresh PLH match one the same way currently to see if I can get the same behavior out of it. The only difference is, I threw this new one a couple times first to gauge how much more HSS it had over the other two, and could see the difference.

So, hoping it works out as a less damaging option than the tree/wall crush. A broken in Volt is just perfect. Although, I'm sure it's gonna hit it's fair share of trees eventually and get a little wonkier, but hey, that's why they make more, right? lol.

^^Now that we're about to the time of year where I can do some field work after work work, I'm gonna start throwing spike hyzers galore with these 2 Volts.

hopefully getting a bunch of throws on them will help them season before I'm in my 70s.

The "down-side" to durability.

Latest posts